1982 Turbo Regal w/455 Stage 1 & turbo(?)

Next steps

I'm working on detailing out the car next. Still have odds & ends to take care of, but I "built up" the paint chips and will try and color sand & buff this before Easter. I won't make Spring Jefferson, but will make the Wis Dells - Automotion show with it (family conflict).

Lots to do & only get a few hours per week to work on the car. You can see my Nova in the background as well as the Vega & GS Cali. Right now no cruisers and lots of long term projects.

Nice job. BTW, its better you decided to just go NA with that engine. If you had gone forward with putting a stock Buick turbo on that motor it would have completely choked that thing up... Big time. The hotside of that turbo is just not large enough for that big of an engine. I would have bet that it would make LESS power with the turbo attached to it because of the backpressure.

Turbo & 455

Thanks, the turbo didn't need to build more than 5 lbs as the lower end is still stock w/o benefit of any hard bock, studs or forged pistons. Would have been a hit on the coollness chart (turboed 455!).

Anyway, lots of detailing, tuning, color sanding, buffing and so on.

Jim

On the road

OK, got the car out this weekend for a local car show. Runs real strong, but noticed a lazy shifting TH400. Anyone have an idea of what may cause this. I'm leaning towards a tweaked vac. modulator (bent it dropping in the engine). Didn't notice a crack, but may have one. I'll also replace the rubber connections just in cast that's it.

Anyway, the straight pipes got old fast! Real loud ;)

Still working on the final polishing in a couple spots, have a new floor pan coming to fix an old repair and will drop in a new windshield. Hoping to post it in the for sale section soon. Been a fun project, now if I can just get all the other "projects" done. Yes dear, I'm coming...... painting, washing windows...

Oh boy!

Good Job brother!!!! I'd like to see some pics of it all shined up and sitting outside. I bet it's a fun car. If you do sell it, hopefully somebody appreciates it and doesnt just part it out. THere's been a lot of good cars parted out recently. You should post up a video so we can hear that beast roar!!!!!------Jeremy

Next projects & such

Hey JD,

Thanks for the kind words. Here is my dilemma:

I have several projects that need attention. Next up is a completion of a '64 Chevy II 400 series. Project "Barn Find" - Right out of 1974/75! Has a BBC/TH400/9" with a Mustang II front stub (2x3 fabbed tube) & rack & pinion. Body will be Butternut Yellow, black lace painted graphics, period correct decals and of course it will be named. I may also go with a 4 link for drivability.

Then after that is my 1976 Vega - tube chassis, pro touring, type vehicle. Maybe with an LS power plant (5.3?). Painted the tub last summer (IH Red, single stage). Still trying to complete a GT interior. It's a work in progress (last 5 years)

And of course I had to start another V8 S-10 for a guy in CO. At least that one is sold! Almost ready to get it running (couple weeks) L69 305/TH700R4 & 3.08 gears. That one will be gone at the end of the summer.

Currently on the back burner is my '69 GS California. Might go with LS power on that one too. Otherwise I do have a complete '72 GS455 motor & trans, Elgin cam, and will find a B4B intake. I'll be dragging that out of storage and putting it on the stand soon to make sure I have everything.

At least I have my youngest interested in cars, so some help there.

Almost there

Well I was able to track down the shifting issue last night. THe original vac. adv. canister was bent and not functioning properly. This cause the valve body to hold back on the fluid that should have filled the canister.

So first I tried a small red stripe canister, and the trans shifted way to quickly. Was into 3rd gear within 200 ft. So I pulled another large canister advance and tried that one. Problem solved.

The car is running a 2.91 rear gear, feels too soft to me, but I'm used to a 3.31 gear & 4 speed, so I'm guessing that a change to a 3.73 may be in order. This will move the power band signficantly. Right now I have a good S10 rearend with a 3.73 or 4.10 gear set (7.5, same as the GN). I supose I could switch out and see if the a$$-o-meter says WOW!

I still need to replace the copper washers in the front caliper, but did a tune-up and it runs much better. Still need to get mufflers on it. Open pipes get old fast.

Jim

Quick update

8/1/11

Well I figured out the lazy shifting problem. Was a bad vac. adv. can (bent) that did not function due to the guts not moving correctly. So I switched to a Red Stripe small can, that made the trans go 1-2-3 in about 200 feet.

So I switched that out to a "big style" advance. Seems to operate correctly now. Next problem to address is the rear gears. What I suspect to be a set of 2.91 gears, may in fact be a 2.41 gear set. Did some checking on available ratios for '81/'82 G-bodies and found no listing at all for a 2.91 gear. I know it was available on H-bodies in '76/'77 in a 6.5 inch rear.

So, the problem is a soft launch. What I'm considering is a move to a 3.73 or 4.10 gear. Seems the only economical way to accomplish this is by swapping to a Monte Carlo SS rear. This is due to the 26 spline count of the G-body axle shaft (28.437" long, v. S10 @ 26.750).

I do have a gear set & carrier that could be used, but run into the spline issue and the $275 on a set of axles is out of my budget.

Next possibility is to use the 3.73/4.10 gear set, but then would need a ring gear spacer ($55 shipping inc.). This would allow me to set-up and run the 3 series gear with a 2 series carrier. I'm thinking of going this route, but the 26 spline "weak" axles are concerning. Car runs a 235/65R15 tire & open rearend. THinking that the new found torque is gonna bust it right away.

Last option is a GN/442 open rearend. This runs in the $400+ range, so now the budget thing hits me again......

One other thing, I might add a Buick Hood Tach to this ...... THOUGHTS?

8/3/11

Well I pulled the cover off the 7 5/8 rear I've been saving to verify exactly what gear set I have. The number is...... 10:41xxxxxxx or 4.10. I also counted the rotations of the pinion to the ring gear and got just over 4 turns.

So if I'm reading everything correctly I should be able to do the following:

1. tear down both axles
2. swap the complete 4.10 ring, pinion & carrier
3. insure the preload to the pinion is correct
4. insure the wear pattern, pinion to ring gear is correct
5. fill with lube

6. enjoy the new found cajones this will have!

BTW this is an open rear end.

cool. I think you would have hit 5 psi at idle with a 400 and a .63 AR turbine housing.

regarding the turbo

Notacarlo - the project took a hard right along the way. Had to go "Old Skool" and run "just" a STAGE 1 BBB. Gues I live with 500 ft lbs of torque!

I was able to pull down the 4.10 rear end last night. Looks very clean inside and found evidence that someone had changed out the fluid at some point. Wear seems to be minimual, bearings look great (no gunk or burning).

So I just printed off all of the torque specs, talked to my driveline guy, and bought the parts I need (-$30 bucks!). Now comes the fun part, later I will tear into the 2.41 rearend and get it ready. Just gonna drop those parts into the s10 rear and button the up.

I'm hoping to have this done tonight and see what the effect on the launch is. I expect good old tire shreading torque. I also found a set of 28 spline GN axles, so I guess I'll put the s10 axles up on the H-body board.

Later,

Jim

The 4.10's are a success! Car loves the new torque multiplication. Now I just need a good tune. Right now I have a miss at low RPM, but have not changed out the cap & rotor (tonight). Also the timing is set at 4*, and I will be bumping it up to 8* and adding 5 gal of UL Premium to the tank.

Also have a dirty fuel filter to take care of and a stuck thermostat.

Notacarlo - the project took a hard right along the way. Had to go "Old Skool" and run "just" a STAGE 1 BBB. Gues I live with 500 ft lbs of torque!

Yeah, I read that. I was just commenting on the HUGE 400 and the TINY Garrett :)

I would love to have a 400/455 project. I think T/A was doing one with their aluminum block, fuel injection, and possibly turbo's. I can only imagine a 455 with a proper turbo set up would peel asphalt off the ground.

With a proper sized turbo & about 8-9 lbs of boost, you would be in the neighborhood of 800 ft lbs & 750 HP. Lots of custom parts to move the power to the pavement. I would forsee lots of broken driveline parts!

Short list

455 block, .038 over, hardblocked, custom turbo pistons
T/A Aluminum heads
SP1 intake, drilled for F.I.
BIG turbo(s)

400 trans - very stout build!

Custom drive shaft & study u-joints

9 inch Ford rearend, lots of bracing & very good internals, 35 spline axles

Of course I don't have this kind of money, but fun to think about!

Tune really seems to have fixed the car. Timing had slipped to 0-1* instead of 8-12* (reg 455 v. Stage 1). I reset at 9*, replaced the cap & rotor, and replaced the thermosat. Car is much easier to start, and pulls hard. Gonna add fresh gas and see where we are!

WELL it's over. I'm pulling out the BBB/TH400 tonight. I'll be buiding a large box in my shop and putting the GN into it. Along with all of the Regal/GN stuff and of course some rat posion for the critters enjoyment.

I'm going to build a Grand Camino out of my parts, possibly with a LS motor & turbo set-up (have the intercooler already). So I'll be on the look out for an 86/87 Camino tub in the So. WI area. Not driveline of front clip will be needed.

GN tub will get posted next spring.