1948 Willys CJ2A - 4.1 transplant

Thanks Darcy. Not a bad read but I was hoping to see results. The HV oil pump isn't needed if you do Earl's mods to the timing cover. If you need a link I can provide it for you. It's on the other site if you can't find it.

Thanks for posting ...

The correct address. I tried but was unable to find it....not too computer savy:redface: Now don't you agree it should be a "sticky"?:biggrin:

He's not a member here and it doesn't have a conclusion to it. Good info but it leaves much out so no.

I'm back...another round of report cards done. :smile:

Thanks for the link on the oil pump....much appreciated.

And thanks to Charlie, I picked up a few different Buick books today at a swap meet, once Charlie told me how good of a deal they were. They were:
"The Buick Free Spirit Power Manual"
"The Buick Stage II Racing Engine"
"Buick Power Source"
"V6 Performance"
"Buick Stage II: V6 Performance Guide"
two pamphlets of the "Buick Stage I and II: V6 Heavy Duty Parts"
and the pamphlets "Buick V6: The Performance Engine" and "Buick Power Source: Stage I and II Heavy Duty Parts"

....all for $100. As an added bonus, I was in a secondhand store the other day and found "How to Hot Rod Your Buick V6" for $4.99.

I think that's a good start on my library. :biggrin:

Anyway, only a little progress today. After cleaning up the garage a little, I removed the auto tranny from the engine. I think what I am going to do is to drop this caddy engine into the Willys for now, and after I come back from out east this summer, I will get to work on creating a nice little monster from that crate block.

So first things first....is there a guide anywhere as to what I can removed from this caddy engine to mate it to the sm420 manual? There is a TONNE of crap on that thing, wires, vacuum lines, etc...I would think that most of it should be able to disappear?

Pretty much everything needs to be taken off Darcy. Do yourself a favor and take the oil pan off and do the oiling mods to the timing cover before you put the engine in. This will give you the chance to make sure there's no trash in the bottom end. Other than that it's pretty much plug and play.

I guess I'm worried about taking anything off that would be somehow cause knocking, mileage issues, etc. The last 3.8 I had there were severe knocking issues....I'm wondering if instead of a bent rod or something that possibly it might have been some type of missing sensor, ignition timing, etc?

So pretty much everything....what is the least amount of stuff that NEEDS to be left on?

And beside the oil pump mod (which appears simple and quick enough), is there anything else fatal that needs to be done?

Thanks.

The knocking is most likely a rod from lack of oil. Not an unusual issue with a V6 Buick. My first engine did the same exact thing. That's why I said take the pan off to make sure there's no trash in it.

Not unless you find some trash in the pan. If you do take pics and post them. It will help identify what it is so you can make sure whether or not it's something you need to worry about.

No time...no time...NO TIME!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Anyways, I'm heading to a auto parts swap meet...anything I should look for while I am there? Is there a certain type of MSD box I need for this engine?

Thanks

What intake do you want to run Darcy? If it's the stock 4.1 then you either need a Q-jet or a Holley with a spread bore patern. Not very hard to dind either. I spend all day at a swap meet and I made out like a bandit. I got a G body Hotchkiss sway bar for $10 and it's 1" thick. I also got a Starrette depth mic for $30. I spen close to $300 today and it would have cost me over $600 for what I got in tools and parts. Good luck.

I was thinking about just running the 4.1 intake, nothing special.

I'm not even sure what carb is on that engine, but as my kids are in a marching band in the arena next to the swap meet tomorrow, I have time on my hands to find things.

So, a Q-Jet or Holley with a spread-bore....anything else I need to know? Size? What works best, what's overkill?

Thanks.

Thanks. I have seen that, and fully plan on working my intake over as you did. :biggrin:

Is there a certain size that you stop at, say a point of diminishing returns? I'm looking for some more power, but also hoping to keep the mileage above 1 mile per gallon. :D It is a jeep after all (aerodynamic as a cube backing down a highway)

There's an 800 CFM version and one that's larger but extremely rare. See if you can find one of the early ones up to 72 or so. The V6's seem to like somewhere around 650 CFM, but make sure it's a spread bore carb. No Edlebrock carbs please. They suck rocks. Gotta download some updates now so puter will be running all night. Have a good night Darcy.

Thanks again for the info. I'll be there tomorrow with my smart phone, so I might check back in with some info if I need it.

Have a good one. :):biggrin: