17"x9.5" Rims with 5.75" BS, will they fit?

raysturbov6

Ive got a chance to buy a nice set of 17" Torque Thrust rims for my GN, but im not sure if they will fit without rubbing. The fronts are 17x8" with 4.5" of backspace with a 245/45/17 tire size and the rears, which im more concerned about are 17x9.5" with 5.75" of backspace with a 275/40/17 tire. Anybody know for certain that this rim size will fit OK? Thanks-Ray

No the rears are going to hit. I have 17 x 9.5 with 5" of backspacing and had to run a small spacer. Fronts might fit. 4" on the front is perfect.

Originally posted by CopGn
No the rears are going to hit. I have 17 x 9.5 with 5" of backspacing and had to run a small spacer. Fronts might fit. 4" on the front is perfect.
Yeah i figured it was a little too much backspacing. Ive heard that 4.75" is perfect for a 17x9.5" rear and 4" is good for a 17x8" front, with the 245 and 275 tire sizes respectively. Guess ill have to order them brand new. Can anyone else confirm these sizes and backspacing? Thanks :D

Originally posted by raysturbov6
Yeah i figured it was a little too much backspacing. Ive heard that 4.75" is perfect for a 17x9.5" rear and 4" is good for a 17x8" front, with the 245 and 275 tire sizes respectively. Guess ill have to order them brand new. Can anyone else confirm these sizes and backspacing? Thanks :D
that is the most common 17" set up and it does work without rubbing.

Are these from ebay...
I bought a set from ebay last yr,and had to have a 16mm spacer made for them,,I used a 1/2" piece of copper pipe laying across the studs ,and the fit was perfect,,so I measured the copper and it was 16mm,so thats what I ordered ...
HTH
Dennis

CopGN
What size spacer did you need and what size tire are you using. I orders some 9 1/2's for the rear and was told that 5" backspaceing was what I needed.

I found out that 5" backspace from one company is not the same as from another. I know 5" should be 5" no matter what but that is not the case. I am running Centerlines 17 X 9.5 with 275/40/17. I had to run a 3/8 spacer or as I lowered the car the tire would rub. For the front I am running a 17 X 8 with 4" of backspace. The front tire is a 245/45/17 with no problems. If you call Centerline they will tell you that the 5" of backspace will hit and they were right in my case.

With a 17x9.5 you want a 4.75 backspacing, thats why you need the spacer. It also makes a differance if you have aluminum or steel rear drums.