13.7 with $1,000s of upgrades?

GNbythebay

I took my 1986 GN to the track yesterday and ran a 13.7 in a 1/4 mile. This surprised me because I was expecting to run mid 12s. I say this because I read online from the factory they ran 14 flat. Back when my GN was stock it ran a 14.1. Since than here are the upgrades I installed. 42lbs injectors walbro 340 pump fuel pressure regulator turbo tweak chip ally control exhaust dump stiffer valve springs CAI TA-49 turbo and I am running 20 psi with no knock. I have met simular people with around the same upgrades I have and I was told I should be in the mid 12s (that is where I came up with mid 12s). What do you guys think? Am I crazy for thinking I should of been in the mid 12s. I just don't understand with the upgrades I have how I only picked up .3 in a 1/4 mile. Also I am running cooper cobra radial gt nothing special but I did not spin much at all. I attached my slip I got last night. Keep in mind I only been down the strip a hand full of times so I am not a pro!

Attachments

• 14987438044621792745786.jpg
    14987438044621792745786.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 275
I'm no drag racer, but I would imagine that your 2.4sec 60 foot is hurting you quite a bit, for starters.

Worst 60ft ever. You will never be fast with that. It looks like the light turned green and you just floored it. You have to stall the car up until it's in boost and leave with a few lbs. Than you'll be spinning the street tires and need slicks. Than you will run 12's.

It's your 60' time for sure. I have a similar setup to you but still the stock turbo around 17-18 psi. I could run 13.0-13.5 all day depending on the heat. That was with me pulling 2.0-2.2 60' (still not great). If you can launch better and that 60' to 2.0 or less it'll make a huge difference in your times. Drag radials will probably make the launching easier too. A launch with boost on street tires probably won't hook too well.

Worst 60ft ever. You will never be fast with that. It looks like the light turned green and you just floored it. You have to stall the car up until it's in boost and leave with a few lbs. Than you'll be spinning the street tires and need slicks. Than you will run 12's.
Ok I usually just floor it on green :rolleyes: so I should ease into it until boost builds. Thanks

Get some stickier tires. With drag radials, you should be able to get your 60 foot times down. With traction, it is a high 12 second time slip.

Ok I usually just floor it on green :rolleyes: so I should ease into it until boost builds. Thanks

Yes, You have to hold the brake pedal at the light and begin pushing the gas pedal until it begins to build at least 1 psi of boost. Try that on the first pass. If it's successful than try with more boost each time. Some people will mash the Ebrake and pull the lever at the same time they leave the line. I would start with the 1 or 2 psi though because chances are you will need drag radials or slicks after finding out the car leaves with a 1.8 or 1.9 60ft when you do that.

Get some stickier tires. With drag radials, you should be able to get your 60 foot times down. With traction, it is a high 12 second time slip.

On the stock turbo, he can pull 2.0 all day long on good-condition street tires. That'll be all he needs to get into the 12s. If that's his goal.

OP: Practice!

Another thing is the TA49 doesn't make any more power than the stock turbo at only 20 psi boost.
You can raise your boost since you have no KR.
Thanks to this forum and a bunch of great guys I now know this.
When I bought my TA49 in 1992 from Bowling Green Customs they said it was good for 30hp with stock heads and 50hp with ported heads. I now have doubts about these numbers.

Nothing was mentioned about running 25- 30 psi boost to get the power out of it.

That 60 foot time is your biggest problem. car looks like it ran pretty good after that. You picked up 22 mph on the big end, that's right where it should be.

A 60ft time in the mid 1.7's should get you where you want to be. Practice, more seat time and learning to launch the car off the foot brake will get you there, but you have to put the time and effort in. :D

Your mph says you should be in the 12's however the driving is holding the car back. The 60 ft as mentioned is holding the car back, a good converter would really help the 60 ft.

I ran those 60's when I ran my car 3 or 4 years ago. I have diy alky so I could run 25 lbs of boost, and the car went 12.8s a couple times at 113. I think that at least you need to be able to turn up your boost. Lowering times at the track takes numerous outings in order to figure out what you need to do to get the most our of your combination. Sticky tires, or at least a sticky track is needed to get a decent 60' and a satisfactory time slip.

Just like all the others have said......it's your 60' which will improve immensely with sticky DR's and higher boost launch. Seat time and patience. Try not to get too dejected with that et slip. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the track expecting great things only to go home with your tail between your legs.
Very 1st pass in my TR was a 14.4 I think.

I took my 1986 GN to the track yesterday and ran a 13.7 in a 1/4 mile. This surprised me because I was expecting to run mid 12s. I say this because I read online from the factory they ran 14 flat. Back when my GN was stock it ran a 14.1. Since than here are the upgrades I installed. 42lbs injectors walbro 340 pump fuel pressure regulator turbo tweak chip ally control exhaust dump stiffer valve springs CAI TA-49 turbo and I am running 20 psi with no knock. I have met simular people with around the same upgrades I have and I was told I should be in the mid 12s (that is where I came up with mid 12s). What do you guys think? Am I crazy for thinking I should of been in the mid 12s. I just don't understand with the upgrades I have how I only picked up .3 in a 1/4 mile. Also I am running cooper cobra radial gt nothing special but I did not spin much at all. I attached my slip I got last night. Keep in mind I only been down the strip a hand full of times so I am not a pro!
Ok,1st 60ft is so important for these cars.2nd you need to leave on power to have a good 60ft.on a mild mod combo like yours you will need to leave on boost to 60ft which is why most run on drag radials.another thing is the car will not make a lot of power with only 20psi with low timing.

Another thing is the TA49 doesn't make any more power than the stock turbo at only 20 psi boost.
You can raise your boost since you have no KR.
Thanks to this forum and a bunch of great guys I now know this.
When I bought my TA49 in 1992 from Bowling Green Customs they said it was good for 30hp with stock heads and 50hp with ported heads. I now have doubts about these numbers.

Nothing was mentioned about running 25- 30 psi boost to get the power out of it.
Because back then guys ran a lot more timing to get the power.my friend went 11.8/114 on race gas with only 20psi and 30+degrees of timing.i went 11.50s on a 49 with only 20psi and very high timing.just another way you can get the compression.

This was my first time slip fwiw.
Drag radials 23 psi with alcohol.
Pretty similar combo. The sluggish start is killing et and mph. You did better mph wise from the 1/8 to 1/4 so the power is similar.
Just need to experiment and get some tires. Fwiw I was leacving at 0-1 psi and spinning. I'm car 87 the C6 vette ran off and left me after the 1/8.

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 123