-12 aluminum fuel cell

chevyII

I just found out the fuel left in plastic cells drops octane in a very short time,and sold mine. I want to run an alum. cell,sumped with a -12 to the filter and pump. The only cells Ive found were with two -8 in the sump. Would it be good to run a y before the filter? I thought about buying one an welding in a fitting. But am worried about the foam inside melting or cathing fire.

The foam in my alum cell was in several pieces. I removed the cap, and trim ring assembly and pulled out the foam before having a -12 tigged on.
HTH:)

when you put the foam back in,what holds it in place? Do you remember what brand cell. I plan on running the same aeromotive system as you but with the one size smaller size pump. Thanks for the help....again.:D

Originally posted by chevyII
when you put the foam back in,what holds it in place? Do you remember what brand cell. I plan on running the same aeromotive system as you but with the one size smaller size pump. Thanks for the help....again.:D

The foam just sits there:) Its not glued or anything. when the foam is saturated it stays at the bottom.I cannot recall which brand cell i have. I have looked at several brands like Summit/ RCI ect and they look the same. I have a 10 gal unit with the mounting tabs welded on.
BTW I run a Weldon , not Aeromotive. But its all good depending on the pump and your needs.
:cool:

I thought that you were not to run the Foam in a FI Application!

Mine along with the last 2 Metco cells I saw installed had foam in them. All systems ran a pre filter--pump--filter .

http://www.medfordfuel.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_07_accessories.html?mgiToken=0C15B7C87DBF653FC3

Link from the VP site. I would assume the octane loss is because of the vent on the cell. If plastic had anything to do with it I think they would comment on that. I have never seen any steel gas cans at the race track, only plastic.... even the VP race fuel cans(not drums) are plastic. Unless you have some data proving something it may be that you just have somebodies opinion on this that the plastic has something to do with octane loss vs. metal.

Originally posted by chevyII
I just found out the fuel left in plastic cells drops octane in a very short time,and sold mine. I want to run an alum. cell,sumped with a -12 to the filter and pump. The only cells Ive found were with two -8 in the sump. Would it be good to run a y before the filter? I thought about buying one an welding in a fitting. But am worried about the foam inside melting or cathing fire.

As we all know, fuel can be stored for months without deterioration in a closed atmosphere. Once it's out of the drum, vent-to-atmosphere as well as light-sensitivity are concerns. Dark plastic fuel jugs for temporary storage are better than light-colored/clear plastic. I drain my aluminum cell during extended periods of inactivity. As far as bung/fitting size, I ordered the cell from the manufacturer with the bung sizes and locations I wanted for sump/return/vent.

Art

I was told that a high pressure fuel pump could try sucking the foam into the fitting and then the line. I have never seen this in person.

Art,

I was just think about you the other day!
How is the GS Race Car coming along?

The suction side should all be about the flow, which is determined by the hp the system has to support whether the motor has a carb and 5 psi rail pressure or injectors and 70 psi rail pressure. The fuel cell has no way of knowing what the output pressure of the fuel pump is, does it?

Originally posted by Ted A.
[even the VP race fuel cans(not drums) are plastic. [/B]

I buy 5 gallon drums of c16 and they are metal drums........right from vp..........never have seen plastic vp cans.

The info came from VP. The vendor said thats why there fuel is always in a metal container. I want to say he said a week or two would make considerable drop in octane. It seemed wierd to me too since almost everyone runs plastic. I want to run -12 to filter,-12to pump,-10 to a Y,(2) -8s to the rails.

the problem with the foam isn't a FI specific problem, even though the line pressure is higher, the flow isn;t, and the flow rate is what would suck in the foam, and FWIW the sump is foam free, so i don;t think its even possible to suck the foam in, what is the problem is that FI pumps are a tighter on clearances and less able to take in larger particles. and if you have ever looked at a 10 year old fuel cell the foam gets deteriorated very badly over time, and its not uncommon to find fragments of the foam stuck to a fuel filter, there are alot of people that don;t filter the fuel before it goes in the pump, so if you have a deteriorating foam piece it will get ingested in the pump and could sieze it up causing the motor to burn a set of windings, thats why you sould filter the fuel before and after the pump.
Grant

I run a 12 from the cell to 12 filter to 12 pump to 10 filter to 10 line up to the rail, and a 8 from rail to reg and a 6 from reg to cell.
Works awesome, I dont believe in needing to split it at the rails. Ask Tony Gomes and Cal Hartline, Cal uses a stock style reg and his BGC intake and 1 feed in, And i am not making the power those guys are.
Ill post a pic of my fuel system.

You can put a pic in this section?
Man this website needs new software
Other sites are like damn photo albums

Originally posted by Cheeseburger
I buy 5 gallon drums of c16 and they are metal drums........right from vp..........never have seen plastic vp cans.

It shows plastic in the picture and that's what is in stock at Ramchargers. Man, I guess a little wording deviation goes a long way here. That's what I meant by drums. I didn't know you could even get 5 gallons.

Again to Chevy II. I am not doubting that you had this conversation, I would like to see some of this in writing.

Untill then, I will fool myself in thinking the 20 gallons of fuel that have been in plastic containers for over 30 days will still be 100%.

:D

A little off topic (sorry) but has anyone run the metco fuel cell that sits in the spare tire location of the trunk?
And if so how do you like it?
Been thinking of getting one for a while.

Thanks.

Ted, if you want i can take a picture of the 5 gallon drums (have a pile of them in the garage) and email you a picture.

:)