109 block

I would like to see a list of cars with the 109 block too I haven't been able to find one using the search feature or gnttype.org.

How much do you think a good price is for a 109 block and turbo crank (short block) from the yard?

Might be hard to find a turbo crank but not the 6109 block. you would have to drill the oil return line (1/2") into the lifter valley on a stock na v6 block.

A local u-pull-it (Crazy Ray's in Jessup, MD) gets $125 for a complete motor plus a core charge (I think). Don't know their price on a bare block. A guy I know has come out with about 4-5 rolled fillet cranks so far from 4.1's - I think they get $50 or $75 for just the crank. The NA 3.8 109 blocks are the same as the turbo blocks except they don't have the turbo oil return hole drilled and tapped. They won't have a rolled fillet crank. Look the motor over carefully for a rebuilder's tag (like ATK or Jasper) to find one not already bored out (or has a turned crank if it's a 4.1), before you start tearing into it. Also look for Mr. Goodwrench stickers since the Goodwrench crate replacement 3.8's often came with rolled fillet cranks.

Six months ago I thought I'd pick up some turbo cranks out of 4.1s. Found four over a 2 month period. Got one good crank. Do you know that these people keep driving their cars even if they have no bearings? :D Also, one of the 4.1 motors had an NA crank. They all don't have turbo cranks. With that piss poor record, I decided to forget about that idea.

Got lucky here

I got the 109 3.8 from a 87 Pontiac. Good block, heads, rods and a n/a stardard crank for $100.

Got a 848 4.1 out of an 84 buick. Good block, heads, rods and a mint standard turbo crank for $75:D

Need to buy me a set of pistons and I'm set for low bucks.

With that piss poor record, I decided to forget about that idea.
Junkyard diving for a rolled fillet crank is definitely in that "I'm willing to spend lots of time to save some cash" category :). My buddy is a professional mechanic with those nice battery-powered 3/8 and 1/2" drive impacts, and got real good at blowing off the pan and pulling a cap before doing anything else. I kept waiting for him to start sawzall'ing off the pan sump to check a cap but so far he's resisted (something about the big mess :)). I think he said he got useable cranks out of about half or more of the 4.1's he went in.

Just proves life isn't the same for everybody. ;) I'm not willing to try my luck again even if they set up five of these cars in a row.

Incidently, you can't pull the pan off a 4.1 in a 84 Park Ave without pulling the motor half-way out. As far as saving money, that wasn't my aim. More like buy a standard turbo crank for $20 and sell for $300. That's worth a couple hours work. :D

I bought a 109 long block N/A for $200, came out of a late 1985 Bonneville. Has 8445 heads and non-turbo crank, and lots of extra parts, timing cover, oil pan, flex plate, balancer etc...

Originally posted by TurboCruisin
I bought a 109 long block N/A for $200, came out of a late 1985 Bonneville. Has 8445 heads and non-turbo crank, and lots of extra parts, timing cover, oil pan, flex plate, balancer etc...

Good to have........you never know when your current motor will self destruct. I have five NA long blocks. :eek:

I am new so forgive me. Does the 4.1 have the same crank as the turbo 3.8? What do you mean by rolled or finned cranks?

A turbo crank has rolled fillets on both the main journals and the rod journals. NA crank has them on main journals only. These are grooves on each end fo each journal. Many 4.1s have turbo cranks but not all. No way to know for sure unless you can get in and look.

I just put an engine together in my garage. I chose to try out an NA crank. My car is street driven, not a drag car, so I expect it to live. ;)

Red Regal T said:
A turbo crank has rolled fillets on both the main journals and the rod journals. NA crank has them on main journals only. These are grooves on each end fo each journal. Many 4.1s have turbo cranks but not all. No way to know for sure unless you can get in and look.

I just put an engine together in my garage. I chose to try out an NA crank. My car is street driven, not a drag car, so I expect it to live. ;)

How did this turn out John?