109 Block And Stage II Heads

ACE87

I'm sure that this has been up for discussion before but I have a 109 block with all the goodies, I'm not going to be able to flow what I need without Stage II heads, I have been told through the grapevine that these heads can be used with some machine work (adding studs to accommodate) What do you think? Can anyone help? Can it still hold 30psi? Will it work?? Thanks all!!!

30 psi with Stage II heads, if all your other hardware is matched for the heads, will be too much for the deck of that block. You will crack it sooner than later.

Stage 2 heads will bolt to a stock block without modifications. You will not be able to use the additional bolt holes at the 12 and 6 O'clock position.

The Stage 2 heads require unique intake manifold, rocker arms, camshaft and headers. None of the stock components will work with Stage 2 heads.

With all the great stock configurations heads available today (GN1 and TA) why would you want to use Stage 2 heads on a stock block?

Dave

ACE87 said:
I have great caps and a Girdle, do you still think it won't hold??

The caps and girdle have nothing to do with the area of the cylinder deck that I'm referring to. The two middle uppers.

Have you ever seen TR 3.8 with crack deck?. I believe it will push the head gasket out FIRST. The 109 block can be a 700+ hp if build/tune right.

steveX said:
Have you ever seen TR 3.8 with crack deck?. I believe it will push the head gasket out FIRST. The 109 block can be a 700+ hp if build/tune right.

I've seen a crack develop from the bolt hole to the coolant passage. I'm sure detonation was the culprit. I must add that I have not seen an abundance of these blocks so I can't say it is a real common thing and I would agree with you on the HP level, but the question was Stage II heads and 30 psi boost. If the parts combination is right, your looking at 1200+ HP.