'05 Porsche Carrera S

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Well, this sint my kill, but i was in the car, and I just had to pass it along... The car was a 69 karman ghia with 87 GN drivetrain. An acquaintance of mine was having company in from out of town (atlanta area), and my freind knew I'd want to see this car as I just bought my first GN a little bit ago. Now I'd seen/heard of a few Ghias with small block chevy's up front, but not this... I'd be willing to bet everything but the fender body panels was custom made for this... I can;t imagine the amnount of work it took. The owner (paul) was pretty closelipped about the car, so i dont know how fast it runs the 1/4 ("fast enough" he says) or what size turbo ("upgraded from stock" he says, and after some prying he admitted it wasn;t a stock housing either, so that really narrows it down, huh?) or much else, but im assuming if he put that much work to put the motor in the car, he probably spent a little time on the motor itself too :) OK, so to the race. He was taking me out for a ride, and getting off of 275 in St. Pete here, we saw a new porsche a little bit ahead, so we catch up, and after a few lights finally catch one together. We're to teh right of the porsche, so i can see that it has the dealer tags on it, and still has the sticker in the window, so i knwo for a fact its a '05 porsche carerra S... hell, i could even read the options list:). Paul revs it up, the guy looks over and almsot laughs. Paul taps the throttle again, finally the guy realizes we're serious. I think Dr. Ferdinand Porsche would have been happy to see two of his creations duking it out like this. Well, the light goes, and the Porshce jumps out in front (big surprise). I'm sure the guy was thinking he had it made. Until the tires stopped spinning, and the turbo starting building boost, at which point we starting gaining, and quick. By the time it was over, the lead was significant... I'm sure he would have caught us top end of course, but it was a public road, so noone wanted to get too crazy. At the next light, the guy never looked over, was all hunched down in his seat like he was trying to hide... i guess its humbling to have your 80,000 dollar newc ar beaten by a 35 year old car with a 20 year old engine :). Like i said, I don;t know what times this guys Ghia runs in the 1/4, but from my seat-of-the-pants meter id say it felt as fast as some low 11 sec cars ive been in, maybe faster... but then again, maybe it was just the fact that it was in a GHia that made it seem so fast :) Anyways, just thought I'd pass the story along. Oh, and if anyone sees a jet black Karman Ghia in the Atlanta area with a strange whine from under the hood, id beware, the thing is fast :)

That is probably one of the nastiest sleepers I have ever heard of. Sounds like a lot of fun!! :D

I still get a smile and goosebumps thinking about ridin in it.... It was one seriously nice car. The roll cage was tucked way out of the way, so it wasnt bad at all to ride in, under the hood (or would you call it the trunk?) everything was so detailed it looked almost factory, not a hack-job at all... I'd never have beileved it wa originally a rear-engine car (the ghias used a bettle drivetrain, right?) The only thing to show it was unnatural was that most of the support for the engine was tube steel, since he had to custom make all of it (big surprise, theres wasnt really anything structural to bolt an enigne to). I was hopin the guy was gonna be here through teh weekend so i could ahve him come by the BK on sat and show it to all the TR guys there, but he said he was driving back up thursday. I think thats the best part of it, the guy drives the damn thing everywhere, i mean, he made the trip down from atlanta no problem, which is sayin a bit for a home creation frankenstein like that.