03/04 truck block

johnplogii

Senior citizen
Does this have the 6-bolt mains? I thought I read that it did. I found an 03/04 silverado HD & can get the motor cheap. Also can I use anything else (crank, rods). Thanks

every LSx motor has 6 bolt mains. and yes you can use everything. the stock shortblock is good to around 500-550whp, put in rods and pistons over that. crank is good to 1000hp pretty easy. GET THAT MOTOR!! youll love it
Gary

Ok, Thanks. I went & got it today. It will be a good start for a new project. It came out of a burned truck so a lot of stuff is ruined but I will probably only use the block. What heads will fit? Are they ls specific?

basically except for pistons and cranks between the 4.8/5.3 and 5.7+, everything will interchange one way or another. if your doing a turbo, a set of stock #317 casting heads is what you want, 76cc chambers. they should be on it if they are salvagable.
Gary

Thanks for all the help Gary. The heads are on it & actually look allright but this thing got hot! Many other aluminum parts were melted & looked like puddles of solder. The tranny was half melted! The motor does turn freely. So will any aftermarket heads fit? Or are these really good heads? I plan on taking my time with this project & trying to get close to 1500hp from it.

Also, do you know the numbers I could check on the block to find out for sure what it is? And where those numbers are located? I have a lot to learn about these things. Thanks again.

John Plog

oh sh*t if your looking for 1500hp, well its not gonna happen. just as a reality check, a 1500hp ls1 is 7 second car. So ill give you a realistic goal of about 850-900whp, or a low 9 sec. car. Send off the block and get a built 402 shortblock from SLP or something, or just order the kit and do it that way. For that much power your gonna need the extra cubes, its just waaaay too much easier this way. then order up a set of GMPP new L92 heads and single plane intake manifold. i would suggest finding a junkyard to grab all the little covers and coils etc. off a blown engine. otherwise, get a trashed complete pullout off ebay, should be cheap as hell and will give you all the stuff, and your bottom end to pull it together. those heads flow 330cfm out of the box, and on a 402 will make BIG power. go get this months GM high tech performance magazine if you dont have it. they put these on a stock bottom end LS2 (364ci), with a good sized cam and made 545hp. with a turbo i would say this combo, 402 L92 heads, single plane, and a cam around 236@.050 would support up to 1400hp. i dont see 1000whp being out of the question with around 14psi.
And on the front drivers side of the block, it will be cast with a 6.0, or 5.3. another way to tell is if it has #317 heads its a 6.0, 5.3 and 4.8 had #882 if i remember right.
Gary

If you propose to make 1400hp you want heads with a thicker deck to not be lifting head gaskets. ie AFR, ETP, Dart, or other aftermrket heads. Production head deck thickness isn't the greatest for all out forced induction and they make some compromises. Production heads can be made to flow well and there is tons of aftermarket support for LSx style engines.

If you really plan to make that much power the factory truck 5.3/6.0 intake can support over 1000rwhp. GMPP is also coming out in March '07 with a small block LSx style engine (wet or dry sump) that can go to 511ci and can support 2,000hp+.

Look up Parish on ls1tech.com to see what he has done with his AWD truck. 408ci (6.0 iron block, forged 4" crank/rods/pistons, AFR 225 heads, 5.3 intake, 2 turbos) and 4L80E making 1000rwhp/1090rwtq+ in a 5,000lb truck running low 10's@135mph+.

There are a few guys with LS2 alum blocks, stock LS1 cranks, forged rods/pistons, box stock AFR 225 heads, LS6 intake, stock Z06 cam, ported stock TB, 5.3/6.0 truck manifolds flipped forward with a large single turbo running low 8's@160mph+ in 3800lb F-bodies! Nothing too exotic.... aside from aftermarket fuel management systems. And tons of cash in them....

LSx technology is pretty incredible. Good luck.

Man only if could get my hands on an LSX block..Id be all over it..

Is the deck on the L92 heads thin? Those things are available CNC ported for a song..;)

Man only if could get my hands on an LSX block..Id be all over it..

Is the deck on the L92 heads thin? Those things are available CNC ported for a song..;)

You must have just read GM High tech too. :D Wish I had more money to build a 6.0L motor. :mad:

Yeah that article sent us for a spin with my plans. We actually spoke to the GM Hightech guys at PRI. They gave us some extra info on the parts. We were able to look at the block upclose at the GM Perf. booth. It is bad ass...

But I just can not wait 3 more months to get one. I figure after that there is a lot of back orders to fill. Maybe April or May before i could get one.. I hope to have my motor Gen 1 motor complete by March. I just dont see that much difference if any in all out power out put. Other than the ability to build a BIG small block.

Article

I read that too and dropped my jaw. Just think.... without power adder you can knock down numbers that the super charged shelby really breathed on makes. Z06 territory and the heads are 900 $ assembled. I love gm

i am looking to do the lq9 block i think...have been looking at the lsx....or would you do a dart block....the lq9 route is the most cost effective route....i dont want to get carried away with this so i may just stay with the lq9 route...new block and cranks with the l92 heads are fairly inexspensive as opposed to trying to go to a stage 2...less money and more power...thoughts?

would definately stick with the factory iron block. that thing is good to 1000+hp, and it wont flinch. if you want really bad a**, buy a complete iron 402 from SLP or something, and stick an L92/L76 combo on it for about 525whp, naturally aspirated. Of course boost would be in the cards, so a good 800whp would be doable on that with pump gas and some methanol. And with 402 shortblocks so cheap, go to the scrap yard and score a blown 4.8L for all the sensors and wiring for next to nothing.
Or just buy a 6.0L, 4L80E combo like i did and lay down sick numbers stock. Like 120+mph on my first time to the track, on very low boost and little street radials.
gary

Louie, if you really do want one.. There is some dealer on ebay actually selling LSX blocks.. I bet you can find one today!

John,
Thanks for the info. I dropped that idea shortly after that post in Dec. I actually know someone that has on in hand.

But my Gen 1 SBC has been finished now and on the stand for 2 or 3 months. That was one of my concerns. If someone walked in my garage and gave me what i have in the SBC id drop like its hot and build that LSX.

oh yeah louie, your motor will definitely be sweet and make as much power as you can imagine anyway.

i definitely have a TT sbc or lsx in my future. could be in a year, but probaby in 10 years.

Since I dont want to afford to go outlaw or limited street racing. I can't figure out why I want to make any more power than I have now.