.001 over size bearing

tom robison

ALL UP IN THEM GUTZ
Anyone got a part # for an .001 oversized main bearing? Not undersized. I only have about .ooo8 clearance on my mains. Thanks Tom

There are no oversized main bearings, but I have found King bearings to be a little looser than Sealed Power. The only other way to get more clearance is to have the crank polished .001. This is assuming your main bearing bores are in alignment and do not need to be line honed.

They do make them, but maybe not for buick v6. My crank is bigger than standard by .001 and I am trying to avoid a 3 week wait at the crank shop. I do have king bearings.

Tom,

Obviously .0008 is way too tight!!! I think you're out of luck when it comes to .001 oversize main bearings. We can get Clevite .001 oversize in rod bearings 1398HX but Clevite and FM have never offered a .001 over main set (as far as I know).

Have you miked the journals and the main bores? If the main bores are tight, they will eat up your oil clearance and put too much crush on the bearings. If I remember correctly, the spec on the main bore is 2.6870-2.6880"

Is this for your TA build?

Dave

Tom,

Obviously .0008 is way too tight!!! I think you're out of luck when it comes to .001 oversize main bearings. We can get Clevite .001 oversize in rod bearings 1398HX but Clevite and FM have never offered a .001 over main set (as far as I know).

Have you miked the journals and the main bores? If the main bores are tight, they will eat up your oil clearance and put too much crush on the bearings. If I remember correctly, the spec on the main bore is 2.6870-2.6880"

Is this for your TA build?

Dave
Yes this is for the ta motor. The machine shop told me to look for a set of bearing to see if they are out there for the buick, butI could not find anything. Going to drop everything off tonight to get fixed. Tom

I have used many processes to correct your condition. 1) scrape the bearings with a razor blade 2) Scotch brite the bearing surface. (This is risky due to the embedabitlity of the lead and it will trap abrasive from the scotchbrite). Scraping a bearing is only for someone with a steady hand and good measuring ability. Map the thickness of the stock bearing and slowly scrape away material. Not really recommended, but I have done it a few times on 700+ HP engines with success. REALLY. Best is to grind/polish the crank. I find that the Chinese cranks do not have very good journals to begin with. They really need to be machined by a competent crank grinder before assembly. There is a couple of thousanths they have to work with, if need be.

There are 2 people that I personally know and trust with setting and installing a crank in a alum block, Ken D. and Mike Zimmerman.

Since the block will expand more than an iron block, you MUST be sure to set it up properly, even if the caps or crank need additional work.

My alum block is the first one produced, and has well over 1500 runs and the bottom end has always looked great when being freshened, never had a rod or main bearing with lots of wear or be ruined.

Mike, who has always done my block work, is easy to contact at 602-938- 7316. :)