Thermostat housing leaks.... what to do??

PaulRV6

I am having trouble getting the housing to seal against the manifold. I have tried 2x with new gaskets and it still leaks. The housing has been cleaned but has allot of rust pits. What are you guys doing to remedy this? Can I buy or new one or try to find a good used one? Thanks

I have one available. Engine has been stored since 1996, so it's not like the T-stat housing has been in use all these years. I could get it out and take a better look, if you're interested. Doubtful you'll find a NOS housing (unless I take one from the NOS engines I have).

P1040154.JPG

I am having trouble getting the housing to seal against the manifold. I have tried 2x with new gaskets and it still leaks. The housing has been cleaned but has allot of rust pits. What are you guys doing to remedy this? Can I buy or new one or try to find a good used one? Thanks
Have you tried The Right Stuff Gasket Maker ?

more pics...cleaned off flange area with brass wheel. looks fine. left exterior dirt & grime and rubber junk from radiator hose.

you can see the inside of the outlet tube is like-new. not bad for a part that was maybe in service for ten years and then stored for almost the past 30 years...

P1040162.JPG
P1040163.JPG

I didn't want someone to be confused of my signature showing an 86. I do have another hot air motor I am working on. Thanks

Any general or engine machineshop can remachine the t-stat flange. We weld the bad ones and remachine or just take a lighter cut on the not so bad ones.
On the later IC engines, we sleeve the bore.
Right Stuff is your friend!
TIMINATOR

Forget the gasket, just use right stuff. Works every time if you follow instructions.