PTE remote oil filter users

cougarcat

I posted awhile ago about this and thought I'd try again. Have any of you guys noticed when changing your oil with this setup that the filter is only approx. half full with oil when removing it (the old one)? It doesn't seem to make any difference whose filter I'm using--K&N, Wix, Napa, AC.........they all do it. It also takes 3-4 seconds for my oil pressure to come up at start up.......which sucks I know. I called PTE and they said they haven't had any complaints, but the guy I talked to said he had noticed his own GN having the same half full filter. What gives? I'm obviously getting some drain-back and the slow oil pressure is my filter filling back up. How is this fixed. Any ideas? Thanks

Gerry

Gerry, first of all when you change your oil. I assume you check everything to see if it's full.

As for the half full filter. My guess would be it's in the block.
Rather there than the filter.

Last and I'm only trying to help....Is when you re-start your car after a oil change. Disconnect the orange wire that primes the gas pump.
Get in the car and crank it for about 10 seconds.Won't start. When you re- hook up the wire you should have almost instant oil pressure.And car running.

Hope this helped...It's the way I was taught by someone who I repected as a knowledgeable person....with Buicks....

if there is a better way.I could use it myself.....HTH'ed

Last and I'm only trying to help....Is when you re-start your car after a oil change. Disconnect the orange wire that primes the gas pump.

I never understood the need to do this. If your cranking your car, everything is still turning inside with no oil pressure. The only way to do it if it bothers you that much is to get soime kind of electric remote oiler that will prime w/out having to crank the engine.

GNSCOTT, good point. Maybe there is no difference.

And I wish I could figure a way of electrically, priming.

But it does seem to work.... Anyway can't hurt.

But point well taken. Was just trying to help...

No arguments here...

filter

If you fill up the new filter with oil before you install it you will cut down on the time to get oil pressure.Bruce

Rob, I still did it when I had the stock computer, and it says to do it on gnttype.org. It can't hurt, and i'm no expert on weather or not it helps...it may. And you should always fill up an oil filter like Bruce suggests, but if you have the stock location filter, its impossible, its just another good reason to have the PTE remote turbo oiler.

When you start the car the motor is spining at 1,000+ rpm's. When you just crank it over without it starting the motor is only spining maybe 200 rpm's tops. Maybe its overkill but Id rather build oil pressure spining the motor slower.

If its a major concern a oil primer system would be ideal as was mentioned.

Thanks guys---I'm pretty anal about oil changes and oil servicing on the GN----my REAL concern is the ever so slow pressure coming up. It (the gauge) sits on zero for a minimum of 3-5 seconds after start, then builds to 55-60 p.s.i.. If I shut it down and restart immediately the gauge will instantly jump to pressure. If it sits for a minute or so it will then take time again. I guess my question is.....Why does the oil drain back out of the filter? It seems clear that the lag in pressure is the filter filling back up. These aren't cheap filters---they have the anti-drainback valve. I always fill the filter with oil on the oil change.......half full coming off?????? I even shift into gear (rev. or drive) to get the rpms down on start up when no pressure. Do all you guys have a FULL filter when removing it on changes? Thanks.

Gerry

Just to clarify-----this happens EVERY time I start the car. Hell, the best it gets is immediately following the oil change when I fill the filter----then it acts as I feel it should. Thanks,

Gerry

Oil filter

Mine is always full when I take the filter off first before draining the oil from the pan. But if I drain the pan first there is a little less in the filter BTW I run the Baldwin B-279 filter.

Steve

My filter is always full. I empty the pan first, then the filter. Don't know if this matters but do you fill the filter completely when you do oil changes? My PF1218 takes almost a full quart before I install it.

I want to thank you and I'm not being funny......

Sometimes youmiss the obvious.

In my case filling the filter. Still have stock location.

Many thanks guys.......Rob

Hot cold, when I crack my oil filter lose I get wet with oil leaking out.

I'm using the WIX 2 qt SBC Truck filter.

Some starters spin the motor over to almost 450 RPM.

Moroso used to sell a Accusump, which is a pressurized reserve, for priming and high G applications. Maybe still in production.

When you start the car the motor is spining at 1,000+ rpm's. When you just crank it over without it starting the motor is only spining maybe 200 rpm's tops. Maybe its overkill but Id rather build oil pressure spining the motor slower.

I don't think running at 1k rpms with no oil pressure for 2 seconds is going to hurt the motor, but slow cranking it can certainly wear on the starter. I know on some stock location filter applications, some filters drain back and the car has this problem at each start up, especially if the car sits. I don't think there is a problem with any of the above mentioned as long as the oil light goes out after a couple of seconds and its only at oil change.

oil pressure

Is the pressure gauge plumbed to the top of the block. If so it will be the last to see pressure.

It seems to me that you would have less cylinder pressure with out the fuel/air charge getting lit off. Seeing as how that's my opinion I'll continue to unhook the ECM and build pressure after an oil change. As for the pressure taking a couple of seconds to build oil pressure, it seems like I remember my car doing that before I put the PTE turbosaver on there. So I don't worry about it. Disclaimer: These are my thoughts and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone else. :)

i ll be running a pre-luber which electrically pumos up your oil pressure to about 55 psi before the motor turns over and when shutting down motor the oil will flow for 1.5 - 5 minutes after motor is shut off to cool turbo bearings.i believe its a worthwhile investment when your putting $5-$10k in a motor.

Thanks for all the replies....
The car does sit (in the basement) for 2-3 weeks at a time between starts. It just KILLS me to have the engine started and running and be able to count my own heart beats while the oil pressure gauge is still pegged on zero. Everything kind of clacks/rattles until the pressure comes up.....then all's quiet. Anybody run the Accusump or the electric priming unit? I might have to look into one of these if my PTE turbosaver is functioning "normally". It still seems like something is amiss. ChevyII--the sending unit is located in the pass. side stock location.
GNSCOTT--Happens every time--oil change or not.

Gerry

Originally posted by gpoynter
Thanks for all the replies....
The car does sit (in the basement) for 2-3 weeks at a time between starts. It just KILLS me to have the engine started and running and be able to count my own heart beats while the oil pressure gauge is still pegged on zero. Everything kind of clacks/rattles until the pressure comes up.....then all's quiet. Anybody run the Accusump or the electric priming unit? I might have to look into one of these if my PTE turbosaver is functioning "normally". It still seems like something is amiss. ChevyII--the sending unit is located in the pass. side stock location.
GNSCOTT--Happens every time--oil change or not.

Gerry

I took mine out because the car was rattling at startup. I'd get near-instant oil pressure, but a second or two of rattling even if it sat for as little as 15 minutes. I took out the PTE kit and now it's normal - no rattling unless it sits for many weeks and even then it's for a split second.

Jim

Thanks again. My GN sits also in garage for a time.

I also get nervous to start it.

Appreciate the ideas. Think I'm going for the relocator,
of the filter. Heck it's woth it to me.

Thanks again........Rob