Painting grille and bezels

Onalky87

Car is under a resto. Should I have the body shop paint the headlight bezels and grille the same shiny black with clear while he's got them off and painting the car. The grille looks like it's a dull flat black and the bezels look sun faded

thanx.

Oya, if anyone has done this and has pix please post

For the bezels and grille? Where can I get it and what do I do fr prep on the smooth plastic on the bezels

Just go to Walmart and pick up a quart of Rustoleum Satin black, oil based paint for about $8. Reduce it with enamel reducer, a couple drops of fisheye eliminator and spray. You don't want gloss black on bezels or grille. Satin.

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 420
You can pick up the SEM at just about any automotive paint supply store. It works great and dries fast.

With the SEM, which is a spray can, just clean the pieces well, and scuff with scotchbrite. This paint is the best that I have ever used from a spray can. It covers exceptionally well, covers imperfections quite well, and dries quickly.

Here's a pic of my freshly painted grille and bezels.

Attachments

• Buick restoration 167.jpg
    Buick restoration 167.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 396
With the SEM, which is a spray can, just clean the pieces well, and scuff with scotchbrite. This paint is the best that I have ever used from a spray can. It covers exceptionally well, covers imperfections quite well, and dries quickly.

Here's a pic of my freshly painted grille and bezels.

X2!! I repainted all my trim with a SEM rattle can- looks like new!!

Ok I'm going to go get my bezels and grille from body shop and paint them. But what do u guys think about painting other stuff withxthis paint. Like the long plastic pieces on the front and rear bumpers and the black around the rear tail lights etc

Just be careful, or you'll have to do it 2 or 3 times.... lol http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/show-car-restoration-body-repair/313634-trim-paint-issue.html
Still unclear as to what happened. I think there was some mystery stuff on mine the new paint didn't agree with and it didn't show it's ugly head until it started drying.

Thank you for posting that, I'll make sure to wait long enough inbetween coats

What do u guys think about painting that other stuff I said? Any experiance? And what can I do to brighten my headlights and tail lights there a little dull

Not sure if I mentioned it, but after yet another prep job, they turned out perfect.

I don't know about the "plastic pieces" on the bumpers. I just cleaned mine up with some armor all "cleaner". Dried them, and wiped them down with a coat of "303" before I put them back on my bumpers. They are perfect now. I don't know if they can or should be painted with the rattle can. They are not the same material as the hard plastic pieces you are trying to do.

The tailight surrounds can be done the same way. Just mask off. I think I have read of guys disassembling them to paint, but I didn't for the front turn signals. I painted and cleared the metal black trim pieces around the front bumper marker lights.

The grill I would imagine would be a huge pain in the butt to prep correctly. I just cleaned mine and applied a coat of 303. Better than new now.

I painted my grill, headlight bezels,wheel well trim, windshield and rear window trim, tail light housings and several items under the hood over three years ago and they all still look great. Use the SEM.

I painted my grill, headlight bezels,wheel well trim, windshield and rear window trim, tail light housings and several items under the hood over three years ago and they all still look great. Use the SEM.

Thanx!!!! I'm gunna do all thos things

Ii don't have a spray gun. So Im gunnna have to do it with a rattle can

Well, you can buy KRYLON satin black. Don't get me wrong. SEM is a great product, but it's just basically lacquer in a can. It's at least $12 for one spray can. :eek: It's good, but not that good. You can do just a good a job with the Krylon and it's only $3 a can.