GNX rear seat brace install

C

coach

Hey guys,
Just want some opinions about installing my GNX seat brace. As my sig says, my GN is sittin' about 18,500 miles. I bought the brace and the instrutions want me to drill holes to install. I do not want to drill at all. Never have altered the car except bolt-ons and don't want to. I was thinking about 1/2 inch tack welds to hold in place. I can grind off the welds to return to stock and never tell, or hardly tell they were ever there. Repairing holes sucks. Any one else ever install this way?

Thanks
Coach

I don't think 2 holes in the brace or floor pan will take away any value whatsoever. I surely wouldn't hold it against a previous owner.

According to the instructions, there are 13 holes to drill. That is why I am welding. I can grind off 13-15 tack welds and make them barely noticable instead of having 13 holes to fill.

Thanks
Coach

Dude, just drill the holes. I think that is the best possible mod you can do to a car that noby really looks at in a bad way. I have had many low mileage show cars and only one didnt have the braces installed. It never bothered me one bit to buy them. I think you are going to do more damge welding them then drilling them. You take a chance of blowing through or warping the seat rails. Also, most of the low mileage crowd doesnt even recognize the bars because they look factory. Just my 2 penny's though!

P.S. Fat girl hooters rock at 3 in the morning!:biggrin:

---------Jeremy

Dude, just drill the holes. I think that is the best possible mod you can do to a car that noby really looks at in a bad way. I have had many low mileage show cars and only one didnt have the braces installed. It never bothered me one bit to buy them. I think you are going to do more damge welding them then drilling them. You take a chance of blowing through or warping the seat rails. Also, most of the low mileage crowd doesnt even recognize the bars because they look factory. Just my 2 penny's though! ---------Jeremy

X 2 !

Claude :wink:

I agree with you, I would rather do small welds than bolting it in. It would certainly be more effective at its job of minimizing body flex if it is welded to the car versus bolting it in. And I understand your reluctance to drill holes in a cherry GN. It's just a matter of making those welds accessable to grind/cut off in case you don't want the brace anymore.

What braces do you have that require 13 (!) holes? :confused: I was under the impression that many install the rear seat 'X' braces that (I thought ??) came standard on another g-body... grand prix, maybe?? and those require no (or only a few) holes to be drilled, and look completely factory. Maybe I'm confused??

Might want to consider buying the other style of brace that requires only 2 or 4 holes drilled, personally don't remember which, & I had mine mounted at about 12K or so, I consider it something that should have done at the factory, and wasn't, & therefore would never hold it against any owner, original or not, to have that modification performed but that thought process does not go with the one that needs welding or drilling of 13 holes. HTH

Turbo Buick Mods

6 holes total it seems. And somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but these are best installed with the car's suspension decompressed, i.e. car on jackstands?

I installed the Kirbans rear seat brace by

supporting the car with jackstands on the frame not the suspension. I think I only had 6 holes to drill as well.

Turbo Buick Mods

6 holes total it seems. And somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but these are best installed with the car's suspension decompressed, i.e. car on jackstands?

Don't drill into the body. Mark the brace and drill 3/8" holes in the brace. Prep the body and clamp the brace in place. Plug weld with a TIG welder. TIG will not spatter like MIG and will not destroy the glass and everything else around.

TIG will also give you very small, precise welds. Easy to remove later if you so choose.

Dave

Dude, just drill the holes. I think that is the best possible mod you can do to a car that noby really looks at in a bad way. I have had many low mileage show cars and only one didnt have the braces installed. It never bothered me one bit to buy them. I think you are going to do more damge welding them then drilling them. You take a chance of blowing through or warping the seat rails. Also, most of the low mileage crowd doesnt even recognize the bars because they look factory. Just my 2 penny's though!

P.S. Fat girl hooters rock at 3 in the morning!:biggrin:

---------Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,
I did not notice you replied. I still do not want to drill in to my car. I think a half dozen welds are way to easy and stronger. I know I will never remove the brace, but I do not want to ruin the value for the next owner in 20-30 years. This is the GNX brace, not the criss-cross bars that Kirbans sells. It is hidden behind the rear seat and is not seen .

I will never forget that fat chick as long as I live. She was as drunk as I have ever seen anyone still on 2 feet. I bet she is back next year...with TTA'S kid. :biggrin: I am getting rooms at the Hampton if I can ASAP. I will keep you in mind and let you know. I am going over to see TRY ME GT ( Barry ) in a few weeks and hang out or try to go to a cruise.

Thanks for the reply,
Coach:cool:

What braces do you have that require 13 (!) holes? :confused: I was under the impression that many install the rear seat 'X' braces that (I thought ??) came standard on another g-body... grand prix, maybe?? and those require no (or only a few) holes to be drilled, and look completely factory. Maybe I'm confused??

I am wondering the same thing too. I want to install my X braces but it doesn't look like all the holes needed are there. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

My brace is the GNX seat brace, not the criss-crossed bars. It requires 13 bolts to put in place. I do not know how many holes are already there, because I have not removed my backseat yet. I am going to weld my brace in and not drill holes.

Thanks
Coach