Your thoughts on the New 707hp 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Supposedly they will not be doing another 300 SRT model so count that out. The strong rumor is they will be sticking this motor into the Jeep.....now that would be fun

Drop a late model Challenger on it's top and do the same with a gbody and you'll see why they allow it. Crash standards for regular cars are more than enough to keep them safe at speeds in a wreck that old cars require a cage to survive. That's all NHRA is saying is that the new cars are safe enough to run as is. They also want more cars at the track, but the safety regulations on cars today are night and day different than what they used to be back in the 80's.

Airbags everywhere and huge ass A, B, and C pillars are the cage.

What he said.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Drop a late model Challenger on it's top and do the same with a gbody and you'll see why they allow it. Crash standards for regular cars are more than enough to keep them safe at speeds in a wreck that old cars require a cage to survive. That's all NHRA is saying is that the new cars are safe enough to run as is. They also want more cars at the track, but the safety regulations on cars today are night and day different than what they used to be back in the 80's.

Airbags everywhere and huge ass A, B, and C pillars are the cage.
Well I guess that makes sense. just didn't seem right at the time

Agreed. We sold a ringer 01 ZO6 vette once that we believe was a media car. It had all kinds of extra markings on all different parts, like early production models. We bought it at a GM auction, but it was never titled. It had something like 10k miles or so, and brand new tires. There were several of us that drove this car vs other ZO6 vettes we had at the time and boy did this thing run in comparison. We never were able to prove anything, but this particular car def had a few extra ponies. I'm sure all the manufacturers do this. It's like having a 10 sec GN and running a 10 sec GN. If you read that your car does x, y, z, then you can tell your buddies that whether you are capable of doing it or not. And if you're not a racer, a 12 sec car will feel like a 10 sec car in your head.

The media car you spoke of did run 11.99 in excellent air/track conditions back in the day. My '01 Z06 put down 360 rwhp 363 rwtq stock back in 2002, right after a 2002 Z06 (with 20 more hp) put down 353/355 on the same dyno a few minutes earlier.

I like the new Challenger, still think I'll get a hot hatch for fun, WRX/Focus ST/Golf GTI...

The media car you spoke of did run 11.99 in excellent air/track conditions back in the day. My '01 Z06 put down 360 rwhp 363 rwtq stock back in 2002, right after a 2002 Z06 (with 20 more hp) put down 353/355 on the same dyno a few minutes earlier.

I like the new Challenger, still think I'll get a hot hatch for fun, WRX/Focus ST/Golf GTI...

You will need to go 2014 or older if you want a wrx hatch. The new ones are sedan only. That being said, the new 2.0 direct injected motor with the twin scroll turbo is pretty sweet. I have a 2014 wrx hatch and love it. I'd personally stay away from the vw and the Focus ST gets annoying since it just can't get that power to the ground. Even a stock one is wheel hop city until you get up to at least 50 if you want to drop the hammer hard.

Those WRX hatch cars are kinda cool to me, there are a few of them around me, modded and sound pretty throaty. They've always had my attention.

A good tune, drop in filter, and a turbo back exhaust will get you into the high 12's. A better intercooler helps too. I personally drove a '09 WRX with those mods to 12.70. Keep in mind this is a 2.5 liter 4 banger on pump gas with a couple bolt-ons. Mine is tuned with a drop in filter and a catback. One of these days I need to get a downpipe and either reinforce my stock IC or get another one. I've seen E85 WRX's / STi's go high 11's. You typically don't see them go much faster than that since most people build them for autocross or road racing and not as drag cars.

That's a quick daily driver all year around. 11-12 sec range car will embarrass most cars anyways

That's b.s. If they run that fast they should have a cage. Should be by speed period not, well he has more power, runs way more mph in the 1/4 mile,not
to mention street tires that don't grip as well as slicks or dr's, But its ok because his car is newer than yours!
The car is probably still much safer without a bar than any g body with all the safety stuff it has built in. That's why it's 4500lbs.

I've got a '13 SRT Challenger and do not have any issues with the weight, handling, or 0-60 accelleration. It hands down beats any car i have ever owned. Just as fast as the GN on street tires on the street even though the Chally is heavier and my GN has roughly the same hp. The challey ran back to back 8.32 passes in the 8th with street tires and had 3.8 0-60 times and 1.98 60' times on prepped track. All this with 232hp less than a Hellcat. For cornering, i have pulled .94g corners on the street without sliding on bit and little to no body roll. I drove the GT500 Stang and ZL1 before buying the SRT, they only outpowered the srt, I liked the challey on all other aspects, just IMO. The srt challeyis my DD and gets fully used everyday. I round a normal 2 lane street corner to the left every morning at 38-40 mph without ever hitting the brakes, something I couldn't do in any other car I've owned or with the cars I test drove. Equal weight on all 4 tires helps on handling. Tons of trunk space to boot, I put my mountain bike in it with the front rim removed easily.

Last edited:
People just bashing the hellcat just like when the GN it was new ... Don't get me wrong I'm a GM guy but
707hp ... Who are we kidding !

Thing just did 671hp and 606tq over four separate runs on Motor Trend's dyno......AT THE WHEELS.

This thing is way more than 707 hp

1987 White Turbo T - TE60 w/ Alky
12.1@113

Thing just did 671hp and 606tq over four separate runs on Motor Trend's dyno......AT THE WHEELS.

This thing is way more than 707 hp

1987 White Turbo T - TE60 w/ Alky
12.1@113
I seen that this morning on the youtubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk