"You smell somthing?"

BIG HEAD CHRIS

I have an Audioban 8002T amp pushing two soundstream SPL15's.This is a new system.I just put it in my truck.I have 4 ga.wire feeding the amp (thru a fuse) with a 4ga.ground The system thunders (Thanks to you guys helping me with cubic foot math."speaker boxxx").I moved the amp from under the seat to upright on the boxxx.all seemed well till I "smelled somthing".I wasn't even pushing it!Now .the "power protection"light is on and thats it.all fuses are ok,and i have power to the amp,and the fan still works.What did I Do!!Please help (again!).Can these amps be repaired by an electronics repair place? Thanks in advance,CHRIS

Chris,

I did not read back to earlier posts asking how you had set up the two SPL 15s. If I recall correctly, they are dual voice coil. I'll go back and check the earlier posts.

If so, were they wired each in parallel, and then both paralleled to the Audiobahn amplifier in mono? That amplifier is rated at 400x2 in 2-ohm stereo or 800x1 in 4-ohm mono. Being class A/B, it will not operate very long (or get REALLY hot) running any impedance lower than that. The fact that you moved it could just be bad timing, or that the fan on the amp was not as efficient pushing out the hot air as it was under your seat. Another possiblilty, although a bit rare, is that the vibration from the sub box caused something in the amp to fail.

It sounds like something somewhere in your power supply has had a meltdown, and caused it to go into permanent protection. It can usually be fixed for under $100.

Those subs are I believe wired parallel.The back of the sub has two pos and two neg.The two pos are connected with a piece of speaker wire.I took the pos from both subs and put them on one side of the amp.and the same with the neg on the other channel.Was this correct,or where I screwed up?The subs denote the following on the magnet: "8/2 ohms"Does this mean ither 8 or 2 ohms or 8,4,or two ohms? I purchaced these subs used ,and have zero paperwork.Thanks so very much for your help.

Chris,

Sounds like you are probably at fault for the meltdown. What it seems like you did is wire each sub in parallel, creating a one ohm mono load to that amplifier. (Each sub is a dual-4 ohm voice coil. Wiring each sub in parallel creates a 2 ohm load per speaker. Wiring those two speakers in parallel further halves the impedance to 1 ohm mono, or effectivel 1/2 ohm stereo. :eek: ) Your Audiobahn amplifier cannot handle that type of impedance, and it melted something inside.

If you choose to get the amp repaired and re-use, I suggest that you wire each of the sub's voice coils in series (one wire from the - on the first coil to the + on the other second coil), creating an 8 ohm load per speaker. Then the subs can be wired together in parallel for a nice 4 ohm mono load, which is where your amp is supposed to make it's best, most efficient power (it's rated at 800 watts x 1 at 4 ohm mono.)

There are plenty of diagrams available on other speaker manufacturer's websites, or I can send you a picture of what you want to do with your wiring of the two subs.

Your other option is to get a 1-ohm mono stable amp, typically a Class D nowadays. Expect to pay somewhere between $300 and $500 for a well-built, reputable one that will have enough power to suit your subs' needs.

Hope this helps.
Erik