WTF (What's This For)?

0-60n4

When I got the GN this electronic device was under the hood on the driver side but was partially disconnected. Does anyone recognize it and What's This Fore? Is it ok to cut the last two wires and remove it?

It has one wire coming from a connector on the back of the alternator and a the blue wire goes towards the fire wall ( maybe went to a switch or something in the driver area). Looks like a ground not connected and a red wire just cut off and left hanging.

Attachments

• IMG_5468.JPG
    IMG_5468.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 229
Volt booster, increases the alternator voltage when the TPS goes over a certain opening.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Definitely looks like an older volt booster. I had a white one with writing on it that had the exact wiring connector as that one. I wonder if someone in the past painted that one black?

ok. I have a new volt booster installed. It does not have the light and buttons. I guess It's OK to just cut the last two wires and removed it.

Honestly, I would trace the wires and disconnect them, vs cutting them. That style, IIRC, hooks up just like the Caspers V-bolt volt booster, meaning it has the same type connections to the alternator and TPS sensor, or simply sliced into the TPS harness. The button was a test button you could push with the engine running and using either a volt meter, or a Scanmaster, see when the voltage went up. Underneath those round covers, were adjustable knobs that you could adjust the voltage level and TPS on threshold, if I remember right.

Volt booster, increases the alternator voltage when the TPS goes over a certain opening.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Must be a very, very old one! I have been using one for years and none of mine ever never looked like that!

Don't cut wires leading to and from this thing, or anything really. Remove the wires in their entirety. It's good practice to do so in almost every application.