WTF? My PTE6262DBB lasted 2 miles!!

94z286speed

Installed the turbo new and took it out on the maiden voyage. It sounded fine but when I tried to get into boost it made a hideous noise. So I turned around and limped it back home. I removed the intake tube and visually looked at the compressor fins. They looked like they were rubbing on the cover and i put my finger in there and came out with aluminum residue. I then spun the wheel and tried to hear if i could hear it or it binds. I could near a high pitched ting as it rubbeded the cover. I visual looked at the nut while it was spinning and the whole shaft looks bent!

I removed the turbo and let it cool to inspect it. I removed the cover to inspect it and the wheel. The cover is definitly being rubbed and bad! The wheel is worn down on all the fins where it was rubbing on the cover. I visualed the wheel where it meets the backing plate and it looks out of round. It also looks as if the billet wheel was machined out of concentricity. Some of the fins hang over the backing plate and some are way short.

I have tried to call Precision but I assume their phones were broke yesterday. The just rang and rang with no answer and finally went to a busy signal. I have heard also that Patrick is no longer with Precsion and he was my salesman.

Suggestions?

Post pics of the damage. It takes a lot to hurt one of those turbos. I've seen all kinds of crap run through the chra and they still didn't develop additional thrust. I can't see the shaft being bent very easily either. It would need a hard hit and I don't see how it's possible with the compressor housing protecting it. The good news is you can send it back and they will be able to fix it. The compressor cover can be cut a little deeper and the compressor wheel replaced and rebalanced. Hopefully the shaft isn't bent. A lot of businesses are swamped right now since they were at PRI. Leave a call back number and be patient.

pics on the way! Nothing was sent through the wheel as there are no cracks or chips. The shaft is definitly bent. All the fins have rub marks on them and some more than others telling me the wheel is not running on center. It is running so far off it is visually noticable. Like when you drive next to a car with the hubcap on wrong! You know how it bounces up and down.

in the first pic u will notice on the right side the step from the bottom of the wheel to the edge. Also notice how far it is from the backing plate. The step is huge and the fins by the step do not go out to the edge.

The middle pics shows how the fins hang off the edge.

The bottom pic shows how close the wheel is to the backing blate on the opposite side if the first pic. Look close and u will see the fins hang over the edge of the wheel which they should not. The top fin hangs off alot and look at the fin at 5 oclock how close it is from the backing plate.

IMG00174-20111216-1649.jpgIMG00176-20111216-1651.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00175-20111216-1650.jpg
    IMG00175-20111216-1650.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 627
Did you do a visual check on the turbo before you bolted it on? If nothing went thru it I would think it would have been defective from the get go. Knock on wood my 6262 has been fine, put it on a few years ago.

I did check it visually and did not notice any runout or if the shaft seamed to spin out of center. I also could not hear it rubbing the housing. Don't know? My bad luck as usual. I pray it can be fixed we all know how expensive these turbos are.

If the shaft is truly bent it likely happened when it was just the assembled chra with no housings. They wouldnt miss a bent shaft on the balancing process especially if you can see it spinning it by hand.

If you just got it package it up and send it back, they will fix it. Sorry for your misfortune. When did you hear Patrick is not there anymore?

Yes its correct , I called this past wednesday and was told patrick left for another opportunity
Guess we'll never get that updated chart comparing the new to old Precision turbos.:frown:

I have recieved an RGA from Precsion today. I shipped the Turbo out and it is scheduled to arrive on Thursday. They are closed friday and monday so next week we should have and update.

well the news is in. They said the shaft was bent. They said it was probably bent somehow during final assembly. They replaced the exhaust wheel/ shaft, compressor wheel, backing plate and some seal. I sure hope this was a fluke!!

well the news is in. They said the shaft was bent. They said it was probably bent somehow during final assembly. They replaced the exhaust wheel/ shaft, compressor wheel, backing plate and some seal. I sure hope this was a fluke!!
Wow. They replaced a lot of stuff there. Basically a new cartridge. At least the turn around was quick. This time of year companies are backed up.