WTF moment.......

NOTSOFAST

so on 5-12-15 on my way to work, I decided to take white GN. about 10miles from work i feel a vibration, so i think its the driveshaft. slow down to 50mph and vibration clears, then i feel pass side tilt and sparks fly. wtf, i slow GN down, then come to a stop. I get out and notice wheel is gone and all 5 studs are sheared completely off. I backtrack a .5 mile to locate my wheel in the ditch. what could've caused the studs to all break off? good thing , is there is no body damage, just need to replace rotor and studs. should have her up and running by 5-14-15.

Wow!

I had a rim crack on me and let all the air out once at 65+ MPH. But never this!
What a way to start your day. Should have stayed in bed that morning.

It could be that the lug nuts were too tight. Mechanics slam them on with impact wrench to the point that the studs are highly loaded. Through this and the cyclic loading of driving, One stud will crack probably at the thread. Eventually the crack will grow, unloading the stud . Then the adjacent studs pick up extra cyclic loading and eventually more studs will fail similarly, until the remaining studs cannot take the additional load, and fail instantly.

The vibration you felt could have been when the intact studs could no longer clamp the rim to the rotor. Failure of the remaing studs would likely insue quickly after.

Make sure your other lugs aren't super tight and use a torque wrench to tighten and insist mechanics do the same.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Could have been loose lugs or over tightened like mentioned above.

I like torquing them to 85lbs or so and i check them periodically because of the way I drive.

D

It was front pass side. I had drivin the GN on 5/11/15 to work and had no issues. Then it went back into garage until I took out that night.

Sorry to hear that man! I am glad u r ok and the GN, could have been so much worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That makes 3 of us ask about which rims you've got on it. I've seen them snap for various reasons. Anything from a set of loose lugs to overtightened and the wrong wheel.

Same issue w/ my GN.. dr side ft came off....My bad. I let someone "help me" get the car ready to drive to the track...:mad::jawdrop:

pronto , charlie, rims are 17in TT2's never had an issue with them before as they were on black GN, and it has the same ls2 brake kit on it. no issues with anyone at work or otherwise, and GN is always garaged kept. I really believe that studs were somehow defective. and my wife says she Loves me, so she not on the list of people who want to off me....

Mark, I had drivin the GN a couple days prior and it showed no issues with loose nuts. I guess anything is possible, just glad damage was very minimal. bit most of all that i didn't take freeway as i would've been doing 90mph and that would not have been good. I will have her up and running by noon on 5-14-15. as I will install the eibach lowering springs while im at it.

Mark, I had drivin the GN a couple days prior and it showed no issues with loose nuts. I guess anything is possible, just glad damage was very minimal. bit most of all that i didn't take freeway as i would've been doing 90mph and that would not have been good. I will have her up and running by noon on 5-14-15. as I will install the eibach lowering springs while im at it.