WTF moment.......

Wow, glad no one got hurt. I had a similar thing happen about 4 years ago and it was the rear driver's side rim that came off. Luckily the rotor/drum kept rolling inside the rim so the rim didn't fly off. All the studs were broken/bent and the rim was scratched up on the inside. The best i could tell, the cause was loose lugnuts.

does the centre bore of the rim locate on the hub tight seen so many break studs from them taking all the load from the wheel not locating on the hub

pronto , charlie, rims are 17in TT2's never had an issue with them before as they were on black GN, and it has the same ls2 brake kit on it. .
Look carefully at the hole the nuts sit in. I had a co worker that had after market wheels on his truck and for some reason he snapped the studs on a regular basis. After looking at the wheel and the way the stud broke, it turned out the bolt pattern was just a hair off and you could see where the nuts were riding on the outside of the hole. All the studs were stressed towards the outside and would crack, then break.

does the centre bore of the rim locate on the hub tight seen so many break studs from them taking all the load from the wheel not locating on the hub

i've put many, many thousands of miles on wheels that weren't hub centric and never had a problem with them beyond that one unilug Ansen slot that would vibrate at different speeds if you tightened it down a little bit off center..

sometimes, wheels just come off for whatever reason. about a year and a half ago, i had the left front wheel decide that it wanted to come off my '01 Grand Prix GTP on an offramp just as i was getting off the interstate after going about 80mph for 10 miles.. the only warning i had was a very slight vibration going up the offramp, followed by the sight of my wheel rolling across 2 lanes of traffic just as i turned right.. i thought i had a flat tire right up until i saw the wheel rolling in front of me... i don't think it was loose lug nuts or even tight lug nuts, since it was winter and the last time i had any of the wheels off that car was about a month and about 3500 miles prior.

ok, update on why studs may have broken off. after installing new rotors and eibach lowering springs, I noticed that the pass side caliper bracket was rubbing on the inside of the wheel. I shaved off the small groove on wheel and some material on brake bracket. Don't know, but could that rubbing have caused the malfunction of studs? :(

I imagine it could have prevented the wheel from sitting flat to the hub eventually causing stress on the studs.

well its been 2 weeks and no issues. finally installed the eibach lowering springs, got her aligned. GN sits at 26in front ( 255/40/17) and 27in rear (285/40/17). must say it feels and handles a lot better. will post pics on thurs after i take them.

Here are pics of completion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 99