WOULD THIS BE A GOOD TURBO CAM??? NOT!!!!!

BlownV6

Just placed the order today!!

SPEC CARD
PART #: 67-000-0 ENGINE: BUICK V6 231 ODD FIRE
GRINDING INSTRUCTIONS 1
"" "" 2
"" "" 3
GRIND #: BV6 4718B/ 4718B R120
SPC INST 1:
SPC INST 2:
J. DIAM: 1.948 INT EXH
VALVE ADJUSTMENT .024 .024
GROSS VALVE LIFT .925 .925
DURATION @ .020
TAPPET LIFT 342 342
VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSE
@ .050 INT 34 90
EXH 94 30
SPECS FOR CAM INST. @ 118.0 CENTERLINE
INT EXH
DURATION @ .050 304.00 304.00
LOBE LIFT .500 .500
LOBE SEPARATION 120.0 FIRING ORDER STD
ROCKER ARM RATIO 1.85 1.85 REQ SHIP DATE

BlownV6 said:

SPEC CARD
GRINDING INSTRUCTIONS 1
"" "" 2
"" "" 3
SPC INST 1:
SPC INST 2:
J. DIAM: 1.948 INT EXH
VALVE ADJUSTMENT .024 .024
GROSS VALVE LIFT .925 .925
DURATION @ .020
TAPPET LIFT 342 342
VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSE
@ .050 INT 34 90
EXH 94 30
SPECS FOR CAM INST. @ 118.0 CENTERLINE
INT EXH
DURATION @ .050 304.00 304.00
LOBE LIFT .500 .500
LOBE SEPARATION 120.0 FIRING ORDER STD
ROCKER ARM RATIO 1.85 1.85 REQ SHIP DATE

I would go A little bigger if it was me. : )

.500 lobe lift. Small barrel or special journal size?

Standard Buick cam size is 1.785" . My new ones are going to be BBC which is 1.948" and allows for the larger lobe. Its preety close to as big as they want to grind on this size core. Will it work!! Me thinks so!! Mike

Holy Crap!

What do your heads flow above .750 lift? Do you really need .925" lift at the valve? What is the installed height on those springs 2.300"? Sounds like you're going to run over 9000 RPM too right?

Neal

SPEC CARD

Looks like a Comp cam but can't find the lobes in the catalog. The 4718"B" would indicate BB chevy masters for the BB chevy journel cam. This is much better than having an SB Chevy "S" master applied to a 1.78" Buick Cam and loosing duration and intensity. Looks like an interesting cam.

Allan G.

Holy Crap!

What do your heads flow above .750 lift? Do you really need .925" lift at the valve? What is the installed height on those springs 2.300"? Sounds like you're going to run over 9000 RPM too right?

Neal

My billet heads flowed 410 at .850 but were still climbing. We stopped at .850 because with the buick cam at .440 lobe lift and 1.85 rockers that was past the lift I could have. We will do a little more work if reguired to make use of the .925 lift numbers. I use springs that coil bind at 1.130" so 2.200" installed height is plenty.

The whole thing is back in motion , probably slow motion but at least its moving. Mike

At least your project is in motion. I think mine has frozen over for the winter. ;)

Neal

Bison,
1.948 and ground on B masters. We need to do our experiment.
Allan G.

Allan,

From the conversation I had with Tim Cole you have to custom order the cam core to get BBC journals but you can make up your own specs. If it was me I'd want a cam with a 116 LSA, I was only able to get a 114 LSA on the Buick core.

Neal

I had 6 BBC cam cores made and they are at Comp cams right now. Been struggling with exactly which grind and lobe seperation to go with. The lobe seperation is 120 to help with rod to cam lobe issues. This came from Duttweiler after he started using my oddfire cranks with 118 LC clear the rods. After much discussion / arguing about it , I decided to with 120 LC to make more room for larger rods. Pretty much most agreed that 116 to 118 was ideal but that in reality that 120 would not really be an issue since Im supercharged and have instantanious boost. The duration is probably over the top but with the lobe seperation the wider duration will put my overlap about where my current cams are. I can regularly run .950 or less 60' so low end is not my issue. I just cant get the MPH I feel it is capable of running and all these things hopefully will help with that. I am just having one cam made right now. Once I determine that it will actually work I will get the others rough grond and heat treated. Mike

Allan,

From the conversation I had with Tim Cole you have to custom order the cam core to get BBC journals but you can make up your own specs. If it was me I'd want a cam with a 116 LSA, I was only able to get a 114 LSA on the Buick core.

Neal

I know Tim has said that he used some BBC cores but was wondering if a std. stage block can be opened up to fit that cam or is it a special block ? Was also curious on rod to cam clearance.
There is a lot more flexability with the BBC core with regards to lobe selection and actually getting the proper master for BBC cams.

Allan G.

I know Tim has said that he used some BBC cores but was wondering if a std. stage block can be opened up to fit that cam or is it a special block ? Was also curious on rod to cam clearance.
There is a lot more flexability with the BBC core with regards to lobe selection and actually getting the proper master for BBC cams.

Allan G.

Allan,

I've been led to believe you can open up the cam bearing bore in any Stage II block to accept BBC cam bearings. Rod to cam clearance will be less due to the higher lobe lift. I haven't done this experiment myself however I bought a crank / rods from a guy that owned some of Tim's old super stock motors and I can tell you that a lot more clearance work was done on the rods than usual.

Neal

Allan,

I've been led to believe you can open up the cam bearing bore in any Stage II block to accept BBC cam bearings. Rod to cam clearance will be less due to the higher lobe lift. I haven't done this experiment myself however I bought a crank / rods from a guy that owned some of Tim's old super stock motors and I can tell you that a lot more clearance work was done on the rods than usual.

Neal

Interesting. May need to investigate this for future.
As far as my experiment, Bison and I will be evaluating some Buick cams typically ground on "S" masters to measure lobe shinkage and intensity to get a feel for what we can predict when specing a cam. At the very least we can compare ramp opening intensities with small base circle "N" cams. The ultimate fix would appear to be to use a BBC journal cam...

Allan G.

Why couldn't the cam bore be opened up in an offset manner to help cam to rod clearance?
Lifter bores would also have to be bored and/or bushed offset.

Why couldn't the cam bore be opened up in an offset manner to help cam to rod clearance?
Lifter bores would also have to be bored and/or bushed offset.
Thats a good question but I would first think about opening up the bores to accept .906 lifter body. Not sure how much material is left on the valley.

Allan G.