Won't go into Park

gnx139

I took the shifter/handle apart to install a switch kit in the ash tray. After reassembling everything, the shifter won't go into park. It goes forward all the way but it stays in reverse. What the hell did I do?? Can ya'll point me in the right direction.:confused:

Screw the white button up a little at a time until you can get park again.

Just for some stupid reason maybe the c shaped clip that holds the cable to the bracket on the trans fell off, it happened to me at the drag strip, let my foot off the brake thinking it was in park and almost hit the person behind me.

,Dan

Adjusting the white button did not help. I did not know it was adjustable, what is it for?? I will check the c shaped clip in the morning. Where exactly is that?? Thanks for the help guys.

it is about 1" by 1" in size and is located on the bracket coming off of the pan bolts on the trans. on the drivers side, right where the cable and bracket join. It only slides into place so its a good possibility that it has fallen off, after i ordered my new clip (had to order two because they come in packs of two) i zip tied it into place also to make sure it doesnt happen again.

,Dan

It was the clip that holds the cable to the pan. EZ fix. Thanks guys. Only bad news now is that I saw lots of motor oil and t ranny oil on the under carriage.

Yesterday my daughter borrowed my gn and went to work. She couldn't get it into Park or take the key out. She locked the ignition key in the ignition and used the door key to get in. I had no idea what to do but drive 40 miles one way to see what I could do. She went to your web sight and found what the problem was. She turned the lower coller and was able to start it and got it home. We put it in our shop and today I jacked it up and found nothing wrong. The cable was connected and clip in place. Everything seemed to work as normal. Don't know what happened.
Thanks for the info on this web. It saved me a 80 mile trip for apparently nothing.

A lot of times the rod (linkage) that connects to the steering column comes out of adjustment. Theres a bolt underneath by the driver side floorpan, the rod runs through it. Needs to be adjusted correct or it may not go fully in park or fully turn the column to release the key. I'm still being lazy and have to turn my column just a little to get the key out, one day I'll get the urge to fix it.

Did an engine oil change and the cable apparently is adjusted ok.
another problem has arised. When I put the high beams on after about two minutes all the lights go out. Turn the lights to low beam and about five seconds later I have lights.
I know a circut braker is in the sw. But the dimmer also controles lights. My wife doesn't like driving at night as we live in the country and use the high beams a lot.

It was the clip that holds the cable to the pan. EZ fix. Thanks guys. Only bad news now is that I saw lots of motor oil and t ranny oil on the under carriage.
Hello. Hope you’re doing good.
I’m having the same issue. How did you fix it?

Thanks
Steve