Winged wonder

gunslinger

Took these pics on the way home tonight. The "race car" had a bumper sticker that said "drag racing is for fast cars, autocross is for fast drivers."

I bet if he removed the drag generator, he'd be a much faster driver.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1396744161743.jpg
    1396744161743.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 227
  • 1396744192710.jpg
    1396744192710.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 221
Sure, the wing looks goofy, but I'd venture a guess that car would mop up most of ours on an autocross course, but we'd at least have our dignity... Right?

What's an autocross? Lol, I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Haha

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

believe it or not, that big wing probably adds a whole lot of rear downforce to keep the rear tires planted around sharp turns while creating minimal drag on the high speed parts of the course..

and, yes, a stock Miata will probably kill any car on this forum on an average autocross course. hell, my stock SOHC/automatic 95 Neon with worn out 14" tires will probably beat most cars on here on an autocross course..

it's a car built for a different purpose.. if you're only racing exposure is cars that go straight for 12 seconds at a time, then you need to go check out some autocrossing and road racing... it's a good time and the things they do to them to make them work are pretty cool.

Eric, Al has an acquaintance that played around with one of those Miatas for autocrossing. His was a total clapped out piece of shit. He spent a few bucks to try to bring it back some but not worth it. It was slow, my scooter could beat it. Unless its a better car than his was, all that wing would do is add weight to a car that wouldn't see speeds where that wing would do a damn thing. He's tried several different cars at the auto/x and failed with all. He's a bonehead that can't stick to anything long enough to make it run right.

Road racing is a whole other world. Not a fan of autocross, can't get going fast enough.....its like the equivalent of 100' drags....what's the point.
I got to travel to most of the good road courses in the US/Canada for work. I hate to say it, but I'm converted from 1/4 mile. The amount of thought that goes into throwing a road car around is baffling.
My favorite was Road America at Elkhart Lake WI. We went to the local bar after qualifying. Every surface in the bar had signatures from all the drivers that had passed through over 50 years. Lots of famous names, lots of dead drivers, lots of stories. It was a gearheads dream....with beer.

currently cutting it the F loose

I put a Lil supercharger on one of those things for an old guy here in town. Brought it to life a little.
Still not fast but sure made it fun to drive.

Road racing is a whole other world. Not a fan of autocross, can't get going fast enough.....its like the equivalent of 100' drags....what's the point.
I got to travel to most of the good road courses in the US/Canada for work. I hate to say it, but I'm converted from 1/4 mile. The amount of thought that goes into throwing a road car around is baffling.
My favorite was Road America at Elkhart Lake WI. We went to the local bar after qualifying. Every surface in the bar had signatures from all the drivers that had passed through over 50 years. Lots of famous names, lots of dead drivers, lots of stories. It was a gearheads dream....with beer.
Mid Ohio is more fun Dan.:p I started in road courses and autocross and can tell you some of the cars that look slow can kick your ass on the track.o_O Drag racing is pretty much brute force and going straight where road work is more finesse and timing. It's apples to oranges. Circle track is nothing more than someone that can't get out of a rut and goes in circles though.:ROFLMAO:

Well, it also takes driving skill, something a big wing doesn't guarantee.

A monster miata is the only kind of good miata, lol

if Anyone thinks drag racing is $$, try a road course! I took my vette for a HPDE, in a weekend I went through two tanks of gas, and nearly wore out a set of newish tires. It was a blast though!

Ran Limerock for challenge two years ago. Fun track, but Road Atlanta takes the cake for a technical track. Even more so than Laguna which is tough enough. All the old tracks have been modified for safety, like the pin at Road America where the big elm tree used to be. Hell even the last turn at the bridge in Atlanta was smoothed out 15 years ago.

currently cutting it the F loose

While I am a deag racer, I have quite a few road course friends, and Miata's are known to be great cars for just that.

I was born & raised in Wisconsin and ran Road America quite a bit on a motorcycle and my close friend Scott "Z-Man" Zampac was one of the top riders there for years until he quit and I will say it is definitely a fun and technical track.....

I am sure glad most people here said the Mazda miata would beat "Most" of the cars here! :) I beat plenty of them before and even a newer 370Z which gave me a run for my money with my Ole 28 year old Brick but I ended up beating him none the less! Add in at least a handful of Z06 vettes, Mustangs, Camaro's , Challengers, Chargers and a slew of very expensive Pro-touring cars and so on and so on.... When it comes down to comparing AutoX against Drag Racing I see it like this, Drag Racing is 80% car + 20% driver VS AutoX more like 50% + 50% driver...... The day I done my first AutoX was the last day I was interested in Drag Racing (which I done all my life)..... It's a Blast !!