windshield molding trim clips

DCG

I removed my windshield and the clips a few years ago and preped and painted in the channel. Now I'm getting the new glass installed but can't remember the way the clips went on. There seemed like there were 4 metal clips used at some positions. I did buy a new kit with the plastic ones, but didn't come with any metal ones. Does anyone know the spot the metal ones are supposed to go? Is it necessary to use the metal ones, or just go with the plastic clips?

I can tell you there are no metal clips on the sides of the windshield. At least there were none on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The metal ones are aftermarket and chip the paint and even chip the edge of the windshield on occasion. Take them and throw them in the largest garbage can so that they will never be used again. ;) I buy mine from Kirbans

I can agree with the others above. The metals clips are garbage and most likely used by the previous windshield installer. Since the plastic clips become brittle over time they are easy to break while removing the trim. Taking your time cleaning off the extra dried goop where the clips go into helps a lot when it comes to reinstalling the clips and trim. After doing it to mine I never worry about losing a trim piece since they are on as snug as ever.

Do you have to remove the windshield to replace the clips? There is so much goop sealing the windshield. I noticed after my chrome trim was lost somewhere on I-64, most of my clips were missing on the top of the windshield. I bought 20 plastic clips planning replace all of the on the windshield.

What I've found to be the causes of trim blowing off:
1.The slide in seals are rotted, hard, and no longer conform to the glass.
2. The seals are gone.
3. The seals have pieces missing.
4. The clips are broken/missing.
5. The glass installer beat the trim on, dented it, and/or broke the clips.:mad:
Allows the air to get under the trim, and it's sayonara.:cry:

The seals on my clapped out T Type are shot. With the new LS turbo driveline, it'll finally be fast enuf to shuck the trim...:smuggrin::rolleyes::p
I'm looking for a supplier for the seals. I've been told that the Monte Carlo parts guys have them. Y/N? Other places?

Back under my injector bench...:D

Do you have to remove the windshield to replace the clips? There is so much goop sealing the windshield. I noticed after my chrome trim was lost somewhere on I-64, most of my clips were missing on the top of the windshield. I bought 20 plastic clips planning replace all of the on the windshield.
No you don't have to remove the windshield to install the clips. What I did was with a razor blade remove the goop around where each clip latches into. This did take some time to do so, yet it allowed the clips to go right into place with no fuss. Doing so allowed the trim to go on real nice.

What would be a better direction. Have the new clips in before the new windshield or put the clips in after the windshield goes in? Looks like gm put the clips first since there is sealer all over them but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
After. The need to be able to float a little so they can find their happy place after the trim is in place.