Will the REAL THDP get Revealed !!!!

I'm following this discussion too. As the honest-to-God Terry Houston downpipes are practically unobtainium, and I'm probably in the market for a 3" downpipe next season, I'm interested in knowing what the best alternatives are...and if the price is reasonable, all the better. :)

I have an RJC on my car with the biggie puck. You can buy the biggie puck separately from RJC, but I don't know whether it'll fit inside a TH downpipe.

Also the ta downpipe and dump and rjc downpipe and dump?? In the market just so many pros and cons

It seems with the many variables of our cars, taking the time to enlarge the holes slightly on the DP and header to turbo flange (if necessary) to adjust the DP up/ down and side to side for clearance is a must.
Very seldom can we just slap something on and it fit perfectly.

I've installed several RJC's and they fit mint. Installed one from Gbodyparts years ago...and it wasn't even close.

V8Killer's swung out too far and was way too close to the plastic fender of his show pony GN. He switched it with his real THDP from his race car and it fit like a glove. Had to clearance for the RJC on the race T which he didn't care about. Both have stock headers on them.

V8Killer's swung out too far and was way too close to the plastic fender of his show pony GN.
Terry Houston made a downpipe that did this. It was for ATR and Kenne-Bell headers. I have one of these on my car with Kenne-Bell headers. You definitely have to limit engine rotation in some way to keep the downpipe from hitting and melting the inner fender well. I use the RJC brace and before that,the ratchet strap.

IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0339.JPG
Terry Houston made a downpipe that did this. It was for ATR and Kenne-Bell headers. I have one of these on my car with Kenne-Bell headers. You definitely have to limit engine rotation in some way to keep the downpipe from hitting and melting the inner fender well. I use the RJC brace and before that,the ratchet strap.

FYI, I bought a brand new THDP made in 1995 from Lou Czarnota, ( turbolou) for those who do not know him from the west coast. I got this from him last year. With the idea to use it on my new motor that Richard Clark has just finished. Richard has also looked at this pipe and has said it is the real deal. The pipe is SS, the flange is mild steel. Lou bought this pipe from TH himself for a customer, they ended up not using. It sat in Lou's shop all these years. He had it coated and sold it to me last year. I'm not sure that I'll use it, depends may go external.
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
It seems with the many variables of our cars, taking the time to enlarge the holes slightly on the DP and header to turbo flange (if necessary) to adjust the DP up/ down and side to side for clearance is a must.
Very seldom can we just slap something on and it fit perfectly.

That's what was so cool about Terry's pipes. He nailed his jig or CNC program. His pipes flat out fit.

And you're right with the variables. Busted motor mounts will have the engine sitting low or crooked, Flattened/missing body bushings will lower the firewall/floorboards/wiring conduit....

I remember years ago a gearhead friend was at the house when I was about the put my THDP in the car. He looked down at the hole and looked at me.. I said ''You're going to love this shit'' then corkscrewed the pipe right in place and started the bolts by hand. I could see in his eyes replaying all the time he had to lift an engine and bust heater boxes to have to dent the hell out of chebby headers and all the busted knuckles that come with it.

I know mine's real, my pipe is the one that's on gnttype (along with my new at the time TE44).

I paid 420.00 for my THDP waaaaaay back in '01 I think maybe at their vendors tent At Buicks@Bristol event.
How much they going for now?

That's what was so cool about Terry's pipes. He nailed his jig or CNC program. His pipes flat out fit.

And you're right with the variables. Busted motor mounts will have the engine sitting low or crooked, Flattened/missing body bushings will lower the firewall/floorboards/wiring conduit....

I remember years ago a gearhead friend was at the house when I was about the put my THDP in the car. He looked down at the hole and looked at me.. I said ''You're going to love this shit'' then corkscrewed the pipe right in place and started the bolts by hand. I could see in his eyes replaying all the time he had to lift an engine and bust heater boxes to have to dent the hell out of chebby headers and all the busted knuckles that come with it.

I know mine's real, my pipe is the one that's on gnttype (along with my new at the time TE44).
LOL, YEP, that's how yah do it! Screw it in!

I have what I was told is an ATR pipe. I bought it used on here at least 12 years ago. The flange is steel and the pipe is very nice stainless. The puck/swing valve is very tight. Maybe someone can identify it?

Attachments

• 1872.jpeg
    1872.jpeg
    797 KB · Views: 109
I have what I was told is an ATR pipe. I bought it used on here at least 12 years ago. The flange is steel and the pipe is very nice stainless. The puck/swing valve is very tight. Maybe someone can identify it?

It does look like an ATR DP as they curve wide to clear the side by side ATR header and crossover pipe. They ran very close to the plastic inner fender well.

It does look like an ATR DP as they curve wide to clear the side by side ATR header and crossover pipe. They ran very close to the plastic inner fender well.
This is a picture from the top side. Not sure if this pipe kicks out far enough to clear the ATR headers
IMG_20171127_111024500-1512x2016.jpg

All of the ATR pipes I've seen, including my own, have a little dimple under the upper bolt hole (the one closest to the front of the car). I don't see that dimple on your pipe but I'm not an expert on all the differences. It just looks different than my ATR pipe... Also my pipe has squared off corners on the swingarm. Can't really see what yours looks like in the supplied photos but could be another clue in finding out what you have.

1872.jpeg
All of the ATR pipes I've seen, including my own, have a little dimple under the upper bolt hole (the one closest to the front of the car). I don't see that dimple on your pipe but I'm not an expert on all the differences. It just looks different than my ATR pipe... Also my pipe has squared off corners on the swingarm. Can't really see what yours looks like in the supplied photos but could be another clue in finding out what you have.
I am not sure what dimple you are talking about but the swing arm has squared edges.