Why No Blow Off Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
I've seen blow off valves on most of the import crowd, etc.

Why is it not needed on our TR's?

Thanks
~JM~

there mostly used in manual transmissions to help maintain turbine speeds in between shifts- we of course, dont have that problem.

well in most arguments there are 3 sides.... their side, our side, and the TRUTH

i dont care for "wives tales" and i dont care to make cool noise when i let out of the throttle.

I DO CARE about the longevity of my turbo and assicociated parts. that being said when thought about for a bit, the BOV becomes a necessary part of any turbo system. most buick guys will tell you that the BOV doesnt make the car go any faster which is true, in fact if set up wrong, the BOV will only slow a tubo car down. the secret is to set it up correct as to not bleed out boost while under WOT and to fully evacuate excess pressure when the throttle "snaps" shut

currently on the auto industry, every auto manufacturer on planet earth that produces a turbo car has a BOV built into the turbo system (auto or manual), also known as a recirculation valve. if every major auto corporation puts cash into installing a recirculation valve (BOV),than shouldnt we? im talking about companys that wont waste a dime on anything that wont improve the product at hand either in mpg, value, performance, saftey, or reliability.......

stock car manufacturers install BOV's for a reason, 99% of outlaw 10.5 racers install BOV's for a reason, and so will I

There is a theory that without one you can destroy your turbo and associated parts without a BOV, but then again Ive had a stock turbo on my car that was on 2 GNs, A 90 Maxima and then my maxima - and I put about 80K myself on that turbo. Then, when I had my GN, I put about 70K on a TA-49 beating the living snot out of it @ 20-24PSI. Yeah....Id better get right on that BOV :rolleyes:

This seems like a personal preference kinda deal. Most people on here end up upgrading their turbo before any damage can be done:D but a BOV does have its benifits too

OMG, I'm so tempted to jump into this fray, but nope, going to bite my lip and shut up.

I have one on my typhoon, but not on the GN. Almost every sy/ty I have seen at local meets have had a bov, I guess its just easier to run one when you dont have a maf

Maybe just do a search rather than .... oh wait a min... it's WINTER !!!!

Ok... Complete was of time an $$$ to me. We DRIVE the hell out of my fleet of cars.. We don't have turbo problems.. Have run stock up to 70 series turbo's. To each thier own . o_O

I've been driving turbo buicks since 1978....... ooops , yea I'm old as dirt.
Look under my hood and you will find a new(er) billet 6262 turbo and a new BOV, the reason? Increase the life of the new turbo, don't want to drop that coin anymore then I have to. There have been at least one post of the new billet wheels failing over a short period of time with out one, that's all I needed to read..... to each his own.

Chuck

[I just installed one, but I'm learning how to adjust it- so jury is still out.
IMAG0005[1].JPG

I drove my car as a DD for years and with the FMIC and 3255E turbo (super quick spool) the combination produce such a large column of air so rapidly that my car would literally buck and surge through compressor surge post 7 plus psi of boost throttle lifts.
Biggest example was on the interstate and I would have to tap the brakes for some "yea hoo" poking along going too slow in the left lane.........he would get outta the way .......and I would hit resume...turbo would spool instantly and the ecm would reduce the throttle at set speed and the car would buck through the wooorp woorp woorp post boost. It was annoying to say the least.

BOV stopped all that for me.

As mentioned do a search ..Dead Horse.

had a BOV on my last build, will have one on new engine which will be done very soon.
Do I need one? Well, I'd like to get my post count up so this will do.....LOL..........

I don't use one on my GN because Kenny Duttweiler told me not to on automatic cars. That was good enough for me.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.