Why is my fuel level gauge off??

wb_7354

My fuel gauge doesn't read properly. Can this be fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad tank sender is the only cause I have ever found. If it's off, almost always the resistor in the tank sending unit. Replace the sender/hanger and while you're at it, upgrade the fuel pump.

Mine is suffering the same issue. It seems to vary by as much as a 1/4 tank. My answer is when it shows only 1/4 tank of gas left, I fill it up. Knowing that the gauge is off I don't trust it so try to make sure there is gas in the tank.

Mine is suffering the same issue. It seems to vary by as much as a 1/4 tank. My answer is when it shows only 1/4 tank of gas left, I fill it up. Knowing that the gauge is off I don't trust it so try to make sure there is gas in the tank.

When I fill mine it reads like 3/4 full. It goes down to 1/4 and stops. Doesn't go below 1/4.

Bad tank sender is the only cause I have ever found. If it's off, almost always the resistor in the tank sending unit. Replace the sender/hanger and while you're at it, upgrade the fuel pump.

What does the sender look like?

When I fill mine it reads like 3/4 full. It goes down to 1/4 and stops. Doesn't go below 1/4.

Mine shows full when I fill it. When I drive it again it might only show 3/4 then the next drive it'll show full again. All of a sudden it will show 1/2 or below. It kind of jumps all over the place.

When mine is at the empty line I still have four gallons left had that same sender in my cutlass and didn't have that problem.