Why Do I Keep Failing???

are_one

I just barely failed because of HCs back in march. So a month later I change my plugs/wires, new ECM (unrelated problem) and MAF, cleaned my dirty black air filter. Took the test and I failed worst on HCs and now failed on NOx. Last week I discovered that my cat was hollowed out by previous owner, so I put one on and changed the O2 sensor, oil and poured some dry gas down the tank. Guess what I failed on HCs 30 mins ago :mad: State standard is 1.8000 GPM I have 3.7790 GPM, I passed the other two things easily. How can I lower these HCs? :confused:

Since you're in an I/M240 state, how is the guy driving the trace? Smooth or kind of choppy? It really should be pretty smooth. What kind of mods are on your car? Does the CO look really low? All the readings including O2 and CO2 would help. HC is unburned fuel. Could be too rich, or could be extremely lean. On the most recent test, did the NOx readings strattle near the pass fail limits?

State CO:30.0000 GPM
My CO: 19.7414 GPM

State NOx: 2.8000 GPM
My NOx: 2.0744 GPM

I complained both times to the manager about how the techs were driving the car. Both times they would get it into overdrive then let off then get back into it again causing it to kick back to OD. So they would be doing 40 mph at 1800 rpm in OD trying to get up to 55. I told her if I drove the car I could get it to pass. She fed me some BS that there is more to it than just that. :mad:
Im running a stock turbo with tomco green ring injectors and I have the stock chip in the ECM.

What plugs are you running? Maybe a step colder may help. If you could get the emissions just a touch richer, the HCs may start to fall. When I mentioned driving the trace smooth, can you see the trace? Is the tech staying within the lines? Can you see any drive trace violations (straying outside the trace)? Just some suggestions.