Why be a vendor here?

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
It looks like, after being on this site for over a decade, I'm the newest vendor.:) Figured that I'd post why I decided to do it and my experience with the process. First off, my day job for the past twenty three years is to own and run a custom glass and mirror shop in Costa Mesa, CA. I've always enjoyed tinkering on stuff. As many of you know, I've played around, making a few Turbo Buick things over the years. I've always just done it for fun, and never sold or made any money on the different parts. People here have been bugging me for many years to market some of these widgets. The project that I've been working on for almost a year now (in my sig;)),took many hundreds of hours and thousands of dollers to make. The only way I could justify doing it, was to sell some of them.

Months ago, I asked some of the staff here about being a vendor. They were all very supportive and encuraged me to sent Shane (owner of TB.com) a PM. PMs were sometimes a bit slow with Shane. I understand that he's a very busy guy, with irons in a lot of fires. He always did get back to me, even if it took him a while. My first time dealing with Shane, felt like two friend fighting over who was going to pick up the tab for lunch. Each saying that he was going to do it.:) He was very fair with me, and gratefull that I wanted to help support the board. Once word got out, about what I was doing, I was contacted by many of the other vendors here. Each of them congratulating me, welcomeing me, and giving me tips on sales. This, I was not expecting to happen. I even said to one of them, "What I sell, may be taking money out of your pockets":confused:. I was then told in a cheerfull voice, that he was glad to see someone who loves these cars, come up with a new, quality part, that was made in the USA. Thanks Brian:).

I've come to the conclusion, that if we're going to keep this family of great cars and great people happy and healthy for many years to come, we need to support each other and this great site that supports our passion. We are very lucky to have this site. It is a gift. I don't know of anyone getting rich off of these cars. Lets support the people who share our love for these great pieces of American muscle car history.

Thanks for all the support and kind words.:)

Happy spooling.
Turbobuick.coms newest vendor.

Mike Barnard

Congrats.
Mike , you are obviously talented and have a great passion. Being in the custom glass industry, can you make custom quarter glass for our cars that dont need the trim? Like modern vehicles have...

Bryan

Congrats.
Mike , you are obviously talented and have a great passion. Being in the custom glass industry, can you make custom quarter glass for our cars that dont need the trim? Like modern vehicles have...

Bryan

Bryan,
Yes, I've looked into the what it would take to do a production run and get the costs down. To just do a few, my cost would be at least two to three hundred dollars each. If someone wanted to invest six figures, we could get the cost down to about fourty bucks a piece. Bent tempering ovens have come a long way in the last few years. unfortunately, right now, these parts are too small to go through a stardard bent temp oven. They'll just fall through the rollers. I'm guessing that in the years to come, someone will make a bent temp oven that will support production runs of stuff like this.

What I'd like to see is the quarter glasses, and the backglass done and sold as a package. It looks like you "might" be able to raise up a standard windshield, grind a bit off the top, and make it fit the same. Not sure though.

Well, here's our next vendor project.:cool: Who wants to run with it?

Mike B.

1) Glad to see you as a vendor Mike.:cool:
2) You realy need speel check.:p LOL (It's spelled Dollar BTW:rolleyes:)
3) I really hope that one of you comes out with a much better quarter window and maybe even a back window. (hint here guys);)

I really look to what comes up next from the vendors and hope one of you does a set of HA headers that are affordable or at least resonable.:cool: Got a few ideas that I'm not posting for personal reasons and I might be joining you guys in offering a "few" items after all.:D

I appreciate you supporting the board! You make a great product and I got a feeling we may see some more:D

Remember guys, please support these guys that step up and support the community!

Well said everyone. I have tinkered with becoming a vendor, but I am afraid I would not be able to keep up with demand. That has always kept me from doing it. When my shop us slow...no problem. When it's slammed, there's no way I could make car parts instead of customer parts. I've considered selling thru another vendor, but have never gone further then "thinking" about it.
There is a project in the works, and a few guys on here have seen it, so maybe someday.

Congrats Mike. I'll be getting one of those fillers when I paint my car.

Coach

Great thread & / or opening post, Mike. I know that your efforts will not go unrewarded and that you will always design & manufacture the best product possible for our cars and any other project that you undertake.

. Once word got out, about what I was doing, I was contacted by many of the other vendors here. Each of them congratulating me, welcomeing me, and giving me tips on sales. This, I was not expecting to happen. I even said to one of them, "What I sell, may be taking money out of your pockets":confused:. I was then told in a cheerfull voice, that he was glad to see someone who loves these cars, come up with a new, quality part, that was made in the USA. Thanks Brian:).

I've come to the conclusion, that if we're going to keep this family of great cars and great people happy and healthy for many years to come, we need to support each other and this great site that supports our passion. We are very lucky to have this site. It is a gift. I don't know of anyone getting rich off of these cars. Lets support the people who share our love for these great pieces of American muscle car history.

Thanks for all the support and kind words.:)

Happy spooling.
Turbobuick.coms newest vendor.

Mike Barnard

Mike there is plenty of room for vendors in the TB.com community . When ever you have some one who makes a great product come along it helps the community as a whole. You'll soon find out Buick vendors are not here to become millionaire's it is for the love of the car. The more vehicles kept alive the longer the vendors are here to provide this service. It allows us as a vendor to do what we enjoy.
Now you have to come up with another product. This is how it works, now get the front fillers done. :)