Whos running a BOV?

My set up works perfect. Not rich, not lean when the throttle slams shut. And the car drives super smooth coming in and out of boost at any psi. I initially put mine on to protect the turbo as I was taking out thrust bearing, turned out to be a bad combination of wheels. I no longer have an issue with the turbo. However I will not remove the diverter valve off my car since it drives so much smoother in and out of boost. I'm going to put one on my other car at some point as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just for the record there is no reason other than "don't like the noise" to run a bov on a turbo buick.
I confirmed with PTE years ago as well my own experience. Never has it hurt my turbo.

I like PTE, I run one of their turbochargers, but I think that statement needs to be qualified with a "depending on application."

For normal use and drag racing, you're probably right. I drove mine with the elephant snort for a decade. But my data showed enormous improvement in spool time after installing a BOV.:

http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/bov.226907/#post-3688293

Eliminating the reversion and resultant compressor stall keeps the turbine wheel spinning when you lift the throttle, so it's still spinning when you put your foot back in it. I saw times for spool go from 1.5+ seconds to just a few tenths. I posted the chart in that thread to prove it. You can clearly see the lag between the throttle input and the manifold pressure before and after I installed the valve. The car is much easier to drive. Before the BOV, it was a one-and-done animal. If you had to lift after you got it into boost, the fun was over. Now I have reasonable throttle control.

Im running a turbosmart bov and it doesn't sound like an import . No more surge part throttle at 24 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does a blow off valve stop surge at part throttle? Isn't it fully closed at 24psi boost?

That's a pretty neat set up but not much different than coming back through the compressor. You still run the risk of the maf thinking it's intake air.

Just for the record there is no reason other than "don't like the noise" to run a bov on a turbo buick.
I confirmed with PTE years ago as well my own experience. Never has it hurt my turbo.

That's exactly how 99.9% of all OEM turbo engines are set-up.
With the air recirculating AFTER the MAF so it does NOT effect the MAF.

Go pop a hood on any turbo car made except for the turbo buick.
you will see the same thing on every single one.
BOV vent go to intake after the MAF.
I am sure for emissions, but also it works better that way for MAF cars.
Speed density....who cares? Vent it to atmosphere of you want?

If no reason for them, why would every single auto manufacture spend the $$ to add them to all production turbo cars?
Go ask yourself that question!
All GM turbo cars, Subaru, Mazda, BMW, Mercedes, Dodge, Mitsubishi, etc...
Fine me One car other than the Buick Regal without One.
I double dog dare ya!:D

That's exactly how 99.9% of all OEM turbo engines are set-up.
With the air recirculating AFTER the MAF so it does NOT effect the MAF.

Go pop a hood on any turbo car made except for the turbo buick.
you will see the same thing on every single one.
BOV vent go to intake after the MAF.
I am sure for emissions, but also it works better that way for MAF cars.
Speed density....who cares? Vent it to atmosphere of you want?

If no reason for them, why would every single auto manufacture spend the $$ to add them to all production turbo cars?
Go ask yourself that question!
All GM turbo cars, Subaru, Mazda, BMW, Mercedes, Dodge, Mitsubishi, etc...
Fine me One car other than the Buick Regal without One.
I double dog dare ya!:D

I don't have to ask myself anything. I know how it all works.
You are delivering the pressure back to the intake pipe and if the motor does not consume it, it will come back through the maf.

Last edited:
Then I guess all the engineers globally disagree with you that are designing the current turbo systems being sold to the masses.
Apparently, the BOV is doing something and worth the time and money to design and install on all turbo cars made.

Maybe you could save them some money and tell them what you know? :rolleyes:

I don't have to ask myself anything. I know how it all works.
You are delivering the pressure back to the intake pipe and if the motor does not consume it, it will come back through the maf.

Nope, it goes in a circle round and round keeping some of the pressure right at the throttle body.
Still pressure exist between compressor and the closed throttle body.
The BOV does not release 100% of the pressure man.....just some of it.
Same with the recirculating bypass valves on superchargers.
My Mustang Paxton kit came with One as well. It is centrifugal just like a turbo compressor.
Not a positive displacement unit, which of course needs this with no questions asked.

It does hold back an amount of pressure. Better for when you go WOT again, unless you adjusted it wrong (too loose on spring)
100% performance gain in that regard.

Oh brother . . . . . Another heated BOV discussion. :D
Similar to "which oil", "which turbo", "which cam", "which trans", "which chip", "which tires", "which brakes", "which pump","LS or V6" . . . . They all have limitations, yet they work. LOL :ROFLMAO:

This is my first year running one. For years I have not had anything in place. Got one from Racetronix over the winter and it works and looks great.
YqFjw8.jpg

So does anyone design/sell a 3 inch up pipe for BOV application specifically for ours cars? Stock location IC.

So does anyone design/sell a 3 inch up pipe for BOV application specifically for ours cars? Stock location IC.

Why are you fixed on a 3" pipe? Your just supposed to tap into what ever up pipe you have going to your throttle body with the flange they give you with the BOV. Find a good place to mount it. Drill your hole, weld your flange, attach your BOV, run a line the manifold pressure and your done.

Why are you fixed on a 3" pipe? Your just supposed to tap into what ever up pipe you have going to your throttle body with the flange they give you with the BOV. Find a good place to mount it. Drill your hole, weld your flange, attach your BOV, run a line the manifold pressure and your done.
Well mine is 3 inch which fits nicely with a 70mm TB and my intecooler outlet. Yeah I guess if theres a kit available I could have it welded.

This is my first year running one. For years I have not had anything in place. Got one from Racetronix over the winter and it works and looks great.
YqFjw8.jpg

Before this set up, do you ever remember damaging a turbo due to back pressure? I know you been doing this a long time.

Before this set up, do you ever remember damaging a turbo due to back pressure? I know you been doing this a long time.

No, I don't believe I ever have. I have had pretty good success with turbos, although my car is not a daily driver. So it doesn't get a lot of mileage throughout the course of the year.

I have no axe to grind with those that run a BOV or those that want too. I bracket/grudge race my car anywhere from 6.9 to 7.3 most weekends spring to fall. I've been running this 6262 JB from Precision from when it was first introduced...Patrick Rubio was there at the time. This turbo has about a million passes on it...with no issues without a BOV.

Mike...your engine bay is disgustingly neatly detailed.:)

So if I'm going to purchase one, someone recommend me a very reputable one and where to buy it. I'm looking for quality over cost. Even the most pricey are'nt that terribly expensive so quality is the main element for me.