Whos running a BOV?

robertf

I've always hated the sound of the wastegate slamming closed on decelleration. Will a BOV solve this?
Any disadvantage to a BOV on a GN? Of course I'd need up pipe designed for one.
Thanks.

Yeah, I run one for that exact reason. Here is mine.

c3b2fe33eb4034560c06dabd84968c54.jpg

69f60ea27192b30b38e57232e10a8cce.jpg

f06196835534d6292a1cb56a6dae3653.jpg

3d5a6f620faed27f139d3839dcd58076.jpg

Last edited:
Im running a turbosmart bov and it doesn't sound like an import . No more surge part throttle at 24 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll assume no vendor sells a 3 inch up setup for one? It needs to be 3 inch for me. For SLIC.

I acquired a atr BOV for super cheap . So I'm runing it . If I didn't get it I would prob not be running one

Attachments

• IMG_8978.JPG
    IMG_8978.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_8979.JPG
    IMG_8979.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 204
I'm running a BOV because I plan on turning up the boost well past 35 PSI and don't want to back the compressor nut out.
AG.

026.JPG

The noise is compressed air coming back through the turbo when you lift.

A bov will replace the horse sneeze with a quick psh.. They are popular on stick shift cars. I like the horse sneeze.

The noise is compressed air coming back through the turbo when you lift.

A bov will replace the horse sneeze with a quick psh.. They are popular on stick shift cars. I like the horse sneeze.

Except the horse sneeze is the sound of the compressor stalling. Having it suddenly come down from 100,000+ RPM and even spin backwards is hard on it. And you get monster lag if you lift and then have to get back into it.

I doubt it spins backwards (anyone have real data?), but the flow reversal is hard on the thrust bearings.

With lots of boost and big turbos and such, when you drop the throttle there is a huge pressure spike that can split intercoolers and blow hoses off.... Thats why I run one....

making them work smoothly when you run a MAF is a little tricky some times, but with speed density they work fantastically.....

Bob

So Bob is Speed Density have better overall drivability on the street over MAF? I know I'm steering off topic in my own thread but this has actually crossed my mind before.

with a good tune, they both run well. when the tune is off, the SD stuff is more tunable, just because we have laptop access..

with a MAF, getting the BOV adjusted right so you don't get hiccups in the driveability takes a little bit of messing around.

Sometimes with a MAF if your turbo is prone to surging at part throttle you can have driveability issues where SD would not.

Bob

IMG_6271.JPG
I run one but have it plumbed into my MAF pipe. Doesn't affect driveability at all.

Last edited:
with a good tune, they both run well. when the tune is off, the SD stuff is more tunable, just because we have laptop access..

with a MAF, getting the BOV adjusted right so you don't get hiccups in the driveability takes a little bit of messing around.

Sometimes with a MAF if your turbo is prone to surging at part throttle you can have driveability issues where SD would not.

Bob
Thank you Bob.

View attachment 307170 I run one but have it plumbed into my MAF pipe. Doesn't affect driveability at all.

That's a pretty neat set up but not much different than coming back through the compressor. You still run the risk of the maf thinking it's intake air.

Just for the record there is no reason other than "don't like the noise" to run a bov on a turbo buick.
I confirmed with PTE years ago as well my own experience. Never has it hurt my turbo.

The maf will read air flow in and out. It gets to be real annoying when you get a big front mount and all that air comes back through the maf. You can feel the stumble in sync with the compressor stall. Back when I still ran a maf I ran ls1 maf in my up pipe "blow through" and eliminated the problem.

So it may or may be effeting things for you guys. I never tried this method.

Do the afr's peg rich when the bov is activated?