Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

Me too!! Everything is coming into place on this build. For as much time as I got into it I'm happy to see it come together.

Very neat and well thought out, factory looking build. I like it! Look forward to updates. The 3800 is slowly becoming popular.

Cool build.

So this is a swap with an unopened 3800 motor?

Does the 3800 crank have rolled fillets?

How do the 3800 pistons hold up compared to the lc2 pistons?

How much boost will you eventually be running and how much power do you expect?

Thanks
D

yes rolled fillets on the journals.the pistons are a little fragile only takes a momentary quick rattle of detonation to chip the side out of the crown of the piston .the crank itself is solid dandaman above has over 530rwkw on a factory peice with h-beams and forgies and torque to yeild bolts in the bottomend still LOL
IMG_0032.jpg

For us old school Buick guys that dont trust the factory crank I am finishing up a retro fit of the GN eagle crank in the 3800 Block. Micro Polished steel eagle crank and 3800 H-beam rods pictured. I will open a thread in a couple weeks when this thing goes together.

3800 crank.jpg
imagejpeg_3.jpg

10704130_10152971046063329_8319904280699291213_n.jpg

This is our 750rwhp bottom end. Has about 15 10sec passes in it when it was M90 supercharged with Nitrous. Then switched to twin turbo, made around 20 - 30 9sec passes with it ( while tuning at the track ) and 6, 8 sec passes so far.
Just had it out over the weekend for a looky inside. The factory crank is damn strong. It was built in 2009.

Cool build.

So this is a swap with an unopened 3800 motor?

Does the 3800 crank have rolled fillets?

How do the 3800 pistons hold up compared to the lc2 pistons?

How much boost will you eventually be running and how much power do you expect?

Thanks
D

My car has a low mile short block , with intense turbo cam. So not much into it. New rebuilt heads with light port. Everyone I've talked to with a high hp 3800 is using a stock crank and block. Rods are good to 500 hp ,pistons ( most critical area)400hp without knock. So basically with a good set of rods and forged pistons. Engine should be good up to 700-750hp with nothing done to block. I'm want to run around 18lbs boost to begin with. The purpose of the build was to do it as economical as possible. So if it's running great and I'm getting 400hp I'll be happy if I want to push it I'll have to go through it.

Me too!! Everything is coming into place on this build. For as much time as I got into it I'm happy to see it come together.
Glad you stuck with it and have it up and running. I have done nothing but complicate mine for 4 years. seeing this project come to life has given me the motivation (along with My friend Tommy to finish it. Finally it will run this spring.

This is our 750rwhp bottom end. Has about 15 10sec passes in it when it was M90 supercharged with Nitrous. Then switched to twin turbo, made around 20 - 30 9sec passes with it ( while tuning at the track ) and 6, 8 sec passes so far.
Just had it out over the weekend for a looky inside. The factory crank is damn strong. It was built in 2009.

I was watching for that update. Congrats!!!!!!

You will do 400rwhp no problems at all with careful tuning. Many do it these days on the stock pistons.

Glad you stuck with it and have it up and running. I have done nothing but complicate mine for 4 years. seeing this project come to life has given me the motivation (along with My friend Tommy to finish it. Finally it will run this spring.

If you want to complicate it even more I think were still looking at making some headers/ adaptor do for this build . One thing at a time on it. Tax return coming so interior will be done. So planning a dyno soon.

You will do 400rwhp no problems at all with careful tuning. Many do it these days on the stock pistons.

I hope so mate, if everything works good . I'm going to rebuild it next winter with forged items. You car is just sick.:)

I was watching for that update. Congrats!!!!!!
Thanks the hard work paid off lol... Good to see some guys in here keen on the 3800. Its not a bad jigger at all I must say. I grew up with rotors and Jap stuff, this was a change for me lol..

I hope so mate, if everything works good . I'm going to rebuild it next winter with forged items. You car is just sick.:)
Have you looked at the factory L32 rods? They are cheap as and very strong. We had another car went 10.0@138 with a single gt3582r using the L32 rods. Quite strong.
Obviously the forged H beams are lighter but the L32 aint bad.

I was told by John at "intense" those rods ( powder coated)were good to 500hp but after that to go with the forged units.

This is no surprise to me. The l67 block is much better than an lc2. Pistons and rods on a properly setup otherwise stock bottom end should be good for 8 sec hits and 1000hp. Seems like the limitation would be the head clamping with the factory bolt configuration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is no surprise to me. The l67 block is much better than an lc2. Pistons and rods on a properly setup otherwise stock bottom end should be good for 8 sec hits and 1000hp. Seems like the limitation would be the head clamping with the factory bolt configuration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hijack this thread, but were the SII and SIII blocks the same for the NA and SC engines? I assume they are to be cost effective, but the SC version got different rods and pistons I'm sure.

If anybody has heard of the Sleepers video on youtube. The Regal he has is cammed and makes 660whp with a billet 67 on e85. These motors are crazy strong from the factory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app