who to machine T/A oncenter block

chasmat2316

I have a virgin T/A oncenter block along with a set of crower rods and a BMS 3.625 crank that I want to send out. I called Bobby at RPE who did my last motor - he said he's not doing any more Buicks. who should use? I'm in New York

Well, Duttweiler is doing my TA block but he is out here in Cali...

You can always ship through Fastenal if need be...

Did he give up machining or just Buicks? I know he built some very powerful 109 and stage motors.

Just doing Buick stuff. He said he lost money doing buicks. It broke my heart when he turned me down. Last time he was a pleasure to deal with.
Last motor he did for me was 10 years ago & it still doesn't miss a beat!

I have a virgin T/A oncenter block along with a set of crower rods and a BMS 3.625 crank that I want to send out. I called Bobby at RPE who did my last motor - he said he's not doing any more Buicks. who should use? I'm in New York
Richard Clark can do it, if you are looking machine work. He sure does have cars backed up from all over the country.

I did not know RC had a machine shop? I know. He is a well respected member of the Buick community

I don’t understand how guys can loose money building engines. Especially if you have done it before. You charge a price a hour if the customer doesn’t like the price move on. It’s that simple. You also have Zimmerman racing engines that builds Buick’s.

I don’t understand how guys can loose money building engines. Especially if you have done it before. You charge a price a hour if the customer doesn’t like the price move on. It’s that simple. You also have Zimmerman racing engines that builds Buick’s.

Not just about $$. When you tie up 2 to 3 time the time in a motor, no matter what you charge that's 2 to 3 other customers who didn't get their engines. In the same time frame. And no one wants to pay 2 to 3 X to get their engines built. So you don't charge as much. Know you are loosing money and customers.

Not just about $$. When you tie up 2 to 3 time the time in a motor, no matter what you charge that's 2 to 3 other customers who didn't get their engines. In the same time frame. And no one wants to pay 2 to 3 X to get their engines built. So you don't charge as much. Know you are loosing money and customers.
Of course it’s about money. That’s why he says he looses money building Buick’s. If he’s worried about loosing customers then you don’t turn them away. Charge accordingly and give a time frame on when it will be done and people will wait, it’s not his first rodeo on building Buick’s. But there are other people who can build a Buick also.

Setups I can understand takes time but when you have built several ( several could be 100+, I dont know) from stock to full out race it's part of the daily routine of what engine can come thru the door.

Got one in the pipe line now.
BMS crank...

Attachments

• 20180518_131513.jpg
    20180518_131513.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 224
  • 20180115_161257.jpg
    20180115_161257.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 196
A lot easier than a BBF....
AMC, is not too bad..

Attachments