Who is running a 275 50 15? Fitment help...

Grand_87_national

I lika... do da cha cha.
Hello, all. Just ordered a set of 15x8 rears and 15x4 fronts. The rears are listed as "0 offset" but then the specs say they have 4.5" of backspacing. I don't understand this, because I thought that 0 offset would mean the mounting surface would be centered in the wheel (giving a 4" backspacing). So, I'll measure to confirm this when they arrive. However, assuming the specs are accurate, can I run a 275/50 drag radial? I'm partial to the et street, but would be fine with another brand as well. Would a 1/4" spacer help? Search function has yielded different opinions. I'd hate to buy a $450 set of tires, then spend time and money trying to make them fit. I was hoping to run a 255/50, but it seems that nobody makes them, and a 255/60 is just too tall. Thanks for any input!

I use a 275-50-15 Nitto, on a 8 in rim ( with 4 .25 BS)
and it clears great, was close to outer lip, so I trimmed the fender lip slightly.
DSC05964.JPG

I use a 275-50-15 Nitto, on a 8 in rim ( with 4 .25 BS)
and it clears great, was close to outer lip, so I trimmed the fender lip slightly.View attachment 287146

Outstanding! Love the stance too! Couple questions.... How do the nt555r tires hook? I've had such good luck with the et street that I'm scared to stray. But, I read that the nittos wear a little smaller, so for that reason, I'll give them a try. I definitely don't want constant rubbing. Also, how much space between your tire and framerails? Could it have worked with 4.5" backspacing? I may just throw on a 1/4" spacer to be safe... surely I can use that without changing studs (n). Thanks for the great pic as well!

backspace is measured to the rim lip edge , the 8" is the measure between the rim beads so an 8" rim could measure 8.5 - 9" when you measure outside lip edge to lip edge depending on contruction (steel /alum , and 0 offset would be in the center of that .. 4.5"

as for 255/60 being too big ..its listed at 26.8 , the 255/50 is 25.7 (when new it will get shorter with wear) ... stock was 26.1 id rather run the taller
also shows in your sig your running a moser 12bolt ..i doubt that the axle width is same as stock was so fitment on yours in regards to backspace may not be same as others with a stock 8.5" rear

backspace is measured to the rim lip edge , the 8" is the measure between the rim beads so an 8" rim could measure 8.5 - 9" when you measure outside lip edge to lip edge depending on contruction (steel /alum , and 0 offset would be in the center of that .. 4.5"

as for 255/60 being too big ..its listed at 26.8 , the 255/50 is 25.7 (when new it will get shorter with wear) ... stock was 26.1 id rather run the taller
also shows in your sig your running a moser 12bolt ..i doubt that the axle width is same as stock was so fitment on yours in regards to backspace may not be same as others with a stock 8.5" rear
Thanks for clearing that up on the bs... makes perfect sense now. The 12 bolt was built and installed before my ownership, and he did say it was "stock width" when we talked about it. However, I had thought about that too, what if it's just an inch narrower? That changes everything! Perhaps just having disc brakes on the rear changes things? Not sure. I'm on a 255 50 16 et street now (on gnx/gta wheels), and they fit just fine. The aspect ratio concerned me because the car is lowered a little, I didn't want that to present a new problem. Maybe it wouldn't? Appreciate the input!

I choose the Nitto's as I do more street driving than track .
and wanted better tire life,
they do work better than a standard street tire, ( goodyears previously)
and are excellent in the rain! did a 100+ mi trip in the rain. with no issues ,or "oh shit" moments.

I choose the Nitto's as I do more street driving than track .
and wanted better tire life,
they do work better than a standard street tire, ( goodyears previously)
and are excellent in the rain! did a 100+ mi trip in the rain. with no issues ,or "oh shit" moments.
That's good to hear. The et streets have moments like that on a regular basis in the rain. Are you using the 275/50/15? My wheels are a 4.5" bs 15x8 and I'm hoping they'll fit.

I have a set of Nitto 275 50 15 going on an 8" wheel today. From all the research I've done here and elsewhere, there should be no issues at all with fitment (but as Pacecarta mentioned, your rear is an unknown).

In hindsight, maybe I should have gone with 275 60, but whatever. After these burn off, I'll move on up.

Technically, you can get the 275 50 on a stock wheel. Whoever mounts it will struggle a bit :) , and it is recommended to be on a minimum of 7.5, but it will fit. And bulge a bit. Its almost identical in diameter, and therefore things like rotations per minute and speedometer readings will be almost right on (if you care about that sort of thing).

Don't know how mine will look/clear as it sits, since I'm also putting new springs and Bilsteins on.

I have a set of Nitto 275 50 15 going on an 8" wheel today. From all the research I've done here and elsewhere, there should be no issues at all with fitment (but as Pacecarta mentioned, your rear is an unknown).

In hindsight, maybe I should have gone with 275 60, but whatever. After these burn off, I'll move on up.

Technically, you can get the 275 50 on a stock wheel. Whoever mounts it will struggle a bit :) , and it is recommended to be on a minimum of 7.5, but it will fit. And bulge a bit. Its almost identical in diameter, and therefore things like rotations per minute and speedometer readings will be almost right on (if you care about that sort of thing).

Don't know how mine will look/clear as it sits, since I'm also putting new springs and Bilsteins on.
Awesome. I should have mine tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes.

I am stoked I do not have a frame notch and am running 4.75 back space . The pics show a 28/10.5 slick without rub .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 200
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 176
Awesome. I should have mine tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes.

Got my tires mounted yesterday. Didn't take pics, as its at the shop for an alignment.

As I mentioned, I put new Bilsteins on all 4 corners, and new Kirbans progressive rate springs on the rear. I left the front springs alone. Previously, my car visually "sagged" in the rear. I never did measure it, and its not lowered, but the stock tires sat about even with the rear wheel well. Again, I haven't measured, but its now got about an inch of room between the tires and lip. With the 275 50 Nittos on the rear, there's plenty of clearance from the frame. Could easily fit the 275 60 with no concerns of rubbing.

I'll get some pics up over the weekend.

Got my tires mounted yesterday. Didn't take pics, as its at the shop for an alignment.

As I mentioned, I put new Bilsteins on all 4 corners, and new Kirbans progressive rate springs on the rear. I left the front springs alone. Previously, my car visually "sagged" in the rear. I never did measure it, and its not lowered, but the stock tires sat about even with the rear wheel well. Again, I haven't measured, but its now got about an inch of room between the tires and lip. With the 275 50 Nittos on the rear, there's plenty of clearance from the frame. Could easily fit the 275 60 with no concerns of rubbing.

I'll get some pics up over the weekend.
Good to hear. That on a 4.5" bs wheel?

Well, they're mounted up on the rear (front tires won't be in until monday) and I was able to find out a few things: They do fit, but barely. The drivers side has around 1/2" of clearance. I can fit my fingers in, up to a point, as I can't get my fingers through all the way to my knuckles. Passenger side has more clearance than that, I can get my fingers through all the way to my knuckles, but can't fit my hand in past that point. Not sure why this is. Also, the lugs I ordered are 12x1.5 and my studs are larger than that, so I had to put the old ones back on.
20160826_155349.jpg