Who does Nick McCall use to build his trannys?

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
I'm swapping converters in my Buick and I need to know what tranny fluid is recommended by the builder Nick uses to build his trannys? I'd also like to know why this builder didn't install a billet servo during the build??? I see that it has the dual fed direct with some hardened parts and red clutches. Is a billet servo like the one Richard Clark uses not needed? While I have it out I'd like to address anything more I can do to it. Thanks in advance for any answers to my questions!

James builds them. He uses DEX6 in them. As for the billet servo I couldnt tell you. The 2 he built for me have billet servos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Neither of mine are dual feed

Check out the part number on the outside of the servo. If its a 86-87 GN on its a 694. Its not common but it could be a factory 3 spd servo or I may be the only one that uses them lol. The 112/134 200 3 speed servo is by far my favorite servo.

James builds them. He uses DEX6 in them. As for the billet servo I couldnt tell you. The 2 he built for me have billet servos.

Thanks got the info. Any idea how many quarts it will take with a new converter and that Hughes deep pan?

Check out the part number on the outside of the servo. If its a 86-87 GN on its a 694. Its not common but it could be a factory 3 spd servo or I may be the only one that uses them lol. The 112/134 200 3 speed servo is by far my favorite servo.
Here's what servo I have.

Attachments

• 20181203_151610.jpg
    20181203_151610.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 141
I switched over to Type F fluid and the tranny shifts SO much better...quicker, firmer, and feels like it’s more efficiently putting power to the ground. Years ago Kurtz recommended Type F and that’s all I ever ran in any of my built 200-4s with great luck...

I switched over to Type F fluid and the tranny shifts SO much better...quicker, firmer, and feels like it’s more efficiently putting power to the ground. Years ago Kurtz recommended Type F and that’s all I ever ran in any of my built 200-4s with great luck...
its really up to the way/calibration and parts the builder uses.typically the type f is a little firmer the dex6 slips a little more.i have personally used all different types.

Don't run synthetic fluid in these units or any other transmissions especially for high-performance units the synthetic fluid is too slick the only benefit you would gain would be from the cooling effect but you can counteract that by running an additive and I use the lubegard Platinum which will drop the operating temperature by about 20 degrees and it also has a friction modifier which will be more grippy for the clutches you can use the Ford type f but I use Dexron 3 it's been around forever and the Platinum lubegard which you can buy from some of your auto parts stores, I know the new transmissions use it but that's because they have made the lube holes alot smaller in the Transmissions because of friction for EPA and gas mileage reasons that's why they run the synthetic fluid which flows faster (ie) less friction and it is definitely slicker ,also better for gas mileage but stock automobile is a whole lot different than what most people are trying to do with their Transmissions when they put shift kits in them and are trying to Hotrod them.Now you can ask how I know this it's because I owned a transmission shop for 20 years and have built a bunch of different units over the years for stock automobiles and a lot of high-performance cars as that is my passion and I'm still doing it you can believe it or not I don't really care but that's my honest opinion on the subject this also holds true for any clutch style posi Trac units as the synthetic fluid is garbage in those because again too slick use a good gear oil in it and add the Ford posi additive is it is the best on the market for the clutch type of differentials try it out I think you'll like it and good luck. By the way if you're going to drag race it use a half mix of tractor hydraulic fluid and Dexron 3 that really works good:jawdrop:;)

Don't run synthetic fluid in these units
i have run dex 6 in a full billet duel fed 200 from dave husek.26k+miles, 85+lbs/min street driven and raced.also run redline shockproof full syn in 9 inch rear with a detroit locker 8 years 30k miles 0 issues.syn fluids take the heat.

I owned a transmission shop for 20 years and have built a bunch of different units over the years for stock automobiles and a lot of high-performance cars
my last tranny builder recommended dex3 or type f but that is how he set up the units and did not duel fed.his calibration was different also.i have seen lots of 200s from different builders recommending different fluids.

I agree everyone has their own opinions but most will agree or should at least acknowledge that synthetic fluid is slicker this is why the oe's do not use it in a clutch Type rear end you can tighten up the clutch clearances a bit to make up for that or to tighten up the shift overlap but I still prefer not to.As far as dual feeding a transmission whether its a turbo 400, a 4l80 or a 200 that has no bearing on what fluid you are using, again just my two cents, and some food for thought I go to a lot of transmission seminars and you'd be surprised how many of the builders don't understand fluids and how they work even though they can build a transmission

i have run dex 6 in a full billet duel fed 200 from dave husek.26k+miles, 85+lbs/min street driven and raced.also run redline shockproof full syn in 9 inch rear with a detroit locker 8 years 30k miles 0 issues.syn fluids take the heat.

+1 on this. Mine only has 1K miles so far but used Dex 6 per Dave's direction. Homeboy at the auto parts store said not to run Dex 6 cuz he knew these cars...he had an 85 Monte Carlo

some food for thought I go to a lot of transmission seminars and you'd be surprised how many of the builders don't understand fluids and how they work even though they can build a transmission
im not surprised;)thats why i did my own testing, spent alot of time and money.when i was using the redline synthetic their fluid could handle more temp than the seals could.since heat kills the 200 i wanted to eliminate that factor especially for a street car that runs a spragless converter.

That's for certain and you sound a lot like me I always do my homework I will listen to other people but I take their advice and dissect everybody's info and then come up with my own solution

I like Lucas semi synthetic its reasonable and little best of both worlds
for what its worth atf +4 is for heavy duty trannys