White smoke good head gaskets, help

gnswede

Due to damaged head gasket’s the gaskets were replaced to Cometics steel four layer gasket thickness 0,062”and new ARP bolts were assembled . I also replaced the TA60 turbo ( to large play ) to a Chinese T66 turbo ( ebay) and a large front mounted intercooler. The injectors size were #42 and on the chip was marked with #42. At the first run when the boost when up to 5 psi at 3000rpm there sound like the engine when into pieces, probably to large retard?

I have now bought new #60 injectors, Walpro pump, O2 and temperature sensors, chip, 3,5” MAF with translator and a scan master.
The iron heads are ported and have larger valves.
Before installation of the new parts I notice that the exhaust was white.
I dismantle the heads and the gaskets looks OK. The front left piston is washed on top and the piston close to that one seams also to be a little cleaner than the other ones.

I will make crack detection on the head and the cylinder this week.
If they are OK, What could be the reason for water in cylinders? Bad tightening of heads? Bad gasket? Or?

Regards Jan

Your heads could be warped they might need to be milled. has the car ever overheated or does it run hot?

I have done some reading and understand that I’m not the first having problem with leaking Cometic head gaskets. I will try to copper spray the existing head gaskets according to Taylor Moore, se below.

November 15th, 2008, 10:23 PM
GNAT87 Senior Member Join Date: Oct 2007Location: Shreveport,La.Trader Rating: (4)Posts: 460

Go with RJC or cometics. I run the cometics and yeah they leaked a little at first but if you do some reading you can get them sealed the first time. Mine were installed dry and a couble GM pills fixed my leak. Ive read where some guys take the rivet off, do a light coat of the copper spray and all sides and install and that seems to work good as well. I know my cometics hold 26 lbs of bost 28 on a cold night....Ive also heard nothing but good about RJC bullet proof HG's but I have no experience with those....I think either choice is a good one. __________________Taylor MooreDSR Member 025

I used some ARP grease on the bolt threads and a washer under the head bolts.

Sorry Daily drifter but “chitting the bed” is not in my dictionary but I suppose you are a little
sceptical about the Chinese manufactured turbo. I don’t have any experience yet.. Do you recommend that I should replace it ?

I just remember that I used the white paste-like compound delivered in a plastic bag together with the ARP’s on the threads. I don't now if the compound was Permatex but it must have been thread sealing.
The grease I used on the washers side against the bolt head.

Sorry Daily drifter but “chitting the bed” is not in my dictionary but I suppose you are a little
sceptical about the Chinese manufactured turbo. I don’t have any experience yet.. Do you recommend that I should replace it ?

The Chinese turbos are hit and miss at best and most of them are miss. I'd even say replace it because of the issues that have been posted on the board. They really have no quality control over there so when you buy one cheap either make it a door stop or tear it apart and fix it before using it. No, I'm not kidding.:eek:

If the block was not properly prepped you open yourself up to inviting leaking as well. Been there done that. Good luck.

Bryan