Whistle?

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
My 400 is a few years old now and feels just as good as it always did. Not a single problem with it. It's a reverse pattern, manual with a trans-brake.

But even when it was new, and even still today, it has a low volume but high pitched whistle when in low. It doesn't do it throughout the whole gear. Just for a little while when I begin to move with a little throttle from a stopped position . I mostly hear the sound when I have the windows down when I'm driving along parked cars or a wall.

I learn to ignore it and then it doesn't bother me much. But yesterday was the first day this season I had it out for a full day and I can't help but to focus in on it for a while util I get used to it again.

Again, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. It just annoys me every now and then.

What is it?

Wow! No one else has ever heard a little whistle from a tranny?

Allrighty then. I guess I'll just keep ignoring it.:)

Yeah... I think I've turned mine on once just to watch the antenna go up & down.

I had a hole on my fender filled 16 years ago when I had the car painted.

Is that what that was for?:eek:

Yep. Bet it looks much better smooth.

I used to be into the car stereo scene in the early-mid 80's. 12" woofers, etc.

Now... I'd rather listen to the engine.

Yep. Bet it looks much better smooth.

I used to be into the car stereo scene in the early-mid 80's. 12" woofers, etc.

Now... I'd rather listen to the engine.
If you know what NY was like in the eighties, than you know what a "Guido" is. Well, my car was owned by one before me.

He had some disaster birds nest of wires hooked up to some crappy stereo system that would blow fuses and cause accessories to go off and on by themselves! I ripped that bitch out and found damaged wires for years afterward because of his hack install.

That was 20 years ago. It's never had a radio since.

I used to love the sound of driving with the dump open.

I bought a '68 Jeep CJ-5 that was like that. The remains from a CB radio, 8-track, auxiliary speakers, lights, plus a couple of ah-oo-ga type horns. LOL!

I removed the driver seat, crawled under the dash & laid on my back for about 2-3 hours carefully removing electrical tape, wire-nuts, toggle switches & untold feet of wire ranging from speaker wire, co-ax & even a couple of household extension cords with the ends cut off. Enough to halfway fill a 50 gallon sized trash can. Fortunately the original wiring wasn't hacked up too bad.

That was a fun Jeep! It had a 225 odd-fire Dauntless V-6 (My first Buick V-6) with an Offenhauser dual-port manifold & a huge Holley 4-barrel on it. I replaced the carb with a 390 cfm Holley 4-barrel.

I bought a '68 Jeep CJ-5 that was like that. The remains from a CB radio, 8-track, auxiliary speakers, lights, plus a couple of ah-oo-ga type horns. LOL!

I removed the driver seat, crawled under the dash & laid on my back for about 2-3 hours carefully removing electrical tape, wire-nuts, toggle switches & untold feet of wire ranging from speaker wire, co-ax & even a couple of household extension cords with the ends cut off. Enough to halfway fill a 50 gallon sized trash can. Fortunately the original wiring wasn't hacked up too bad.

That was a fun Jeep! It had a 225 odd-fire Dauntless V-6 (My first Buick V-6) with an Offenhauser dual-port manifold & a huge Holley 4-barrel on it. I replaced the carb with a 390 cfm Holley 4-barrel.
I guess we should be careful not to curse the previous owners of our vehicles........Because one day, someone will try to understand my electrical work. And when they do, they will hire a hit-squad to find and kill me.

Somehow, this went from tranny whistle, to stereos, to electrical wiring. But that's OK. Because we are the only ones bothering with this thread.:)

I'm not a pro but, line pressure is higher in 1st and 2nd than D when at idle? Could the pump be making noise because of the increased pressure?

Are you sure its coming from the tranny ?throttle body shaftseals also whistle at low rpms .

Are you sure its coming from the tranny ?throttle body shaftseals also whistle at low rpms .
Yup, I think so. I never heard it when I had the 200.

It literally sounds like a true human whistle. Very subtle but there for sure. Much easier to hear at light throttle.

Definitely not turbo whistle.

I'm not a pro but, line pressure is higher in 1st and 2nd than D when at idle? Could the pump be making noise because of the increased pressure?
I'm no pro either. Not even a long shot. What happens in a tranny is mostly quantum physics to me. I mean, like most hot-rodders, I get the very general operation of it. But the specifics? Fluid circuitry? Friction and pressures?.........No.

That's why I asked. But I figured a tranny builder would easily explain it and say "yea, common thing" or "get out and run! It's going to explode!":jawdrop:

Joey c
I'm no pro either. Not even a long shot. What happens in a tranny is mostly quantum physics to me. I mean, like most hot-rodders, I get the very general operation of it. But the specifics? Fluid circuitry? Friction and pressures?.........No.

That's why I asked. But I figured a tranny builder would easily explain it and say "yea, common thing" or "get out and run! It's going to explode!":jawdrop:

Joey, call David Husek. He is one of the very few vendors that will pick the phone up. One of the best with trans, bar none

Ever diagnose the whistle with your trany ? My Rossler built 400 has a noticeable whistle as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nah Joey ur just imaging the sound my car is gonna make when it blows past you on the Hiway this summer........:hungover: lol

Ever diagnose the whistle with your trany ? My Rossler built 400 has a noticeable whistle as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Nah Joey ur just imaging the sound my car is gonna make when it blows past you on the Hiway this summer........:hungover: lol
No. I haven't. However, when in motion, auto sounds are typically more noticeable from behind the vehicle.

Since Brett will typically find himself 5 or 6 hundred yards behind me, he may be as kind as to record it for us. Then he could send the sound file to my smart phone. I'm sure while we are waiting for him to arrive, we'll have plenty of time to have it all figured it out by then.