Which way to go

R.I.P.92Rolla

I had a powerlogger on my car and it worked 100% fine used it for a couple days and one day I started the car and all i saw was smoke from my ecu. Powerlogger got fried somehow and the board is burned. I installed it correctly (so i think) because it worked for a couple days. Now I am just wondering if I should get a scanmaster or try again with a powerlogger. I do like the fact that I can tune the TT chip from the powerlogger without doing a pedal dance etc. I am just a bit worried that something might happen again to the powerlogger/ecu and I have to replace both of them. I am just wondering if anyone has had that problem before.

Rolla,

Did not have the problem that you mentioned but did have an issue where the car would not start. Swapped out ECU (with no PL) and it worked fine. Put back my ECU (removed PL) and it worked fine. Then I put the PL back on and it worked fine. Not sure what happened but it never happened again and that was about a year+ ago.

There was also a thread about a year or so ago where a guy was on a trip and having similar problems. It would either run badly, start then die, or not run at all, (don't remember which one). He tried everything and was getting great advice on the board and everyone was stumped. Turned out that when he removed his PL he did not have any more problems. Don't know if he ever put it back on.

I am by no means bashing the PL as I believe it is a great option as opposed to a $2,000+ FAST XFI. Great system just money I don't have laying around. For my application, bolt-ons with a goal of mid to low 11's in the 1/4 mile the stock ECU should be fine.

I am committed to my PL as I just converted to E85 and now have 80's and a 6.1 TT chip. This month or next I will be adding a PLX wideband, and Caspers' transducer for fuel pressure monitoring. I can't wait to get this sucker dialed in and I believe the PL can do that.

Yeah it was great until it fried somehow... and I doubt they will do anything about that. I am just not wanting to throw another 250 bucks and have it fry itself and the ecu again.

generally speaking, the PL's do not die, they are murdered.....usually by cross connecting something on the analog connection unit.

send it in, it can be repaired, usually quite reasonably.

The few cars with 'wierd running' issues are usually fixed by not pushing the PL onto the ECM as far, we are putting a small spacer in the connector nowadays to limit how far onto the ecm connector you can push it.

Bob.

what I use is a section of a thin o-ring. I have heard of cutting a piece of a WD-40 straw, or even a toothpick.

I can send you one of the orings if you like.

Bob

If it's that simple I a should be able to do it but can you post a pic so I can so how it goes?

I plan on sending it in. It looks like one of the chips on it literally just fried and bubbled up. Hopefully it can get fixed. Thank you for the input.