Which timing chain to buy?

gm5150

I am undecided , should I get the Rollmaster billet from TA performance or the Comp Cam 3129 from Cotton's?

What's wrong with going back with the stock 'junk'?

Granted you have to change them every 30 years or 100,00 miles, so their track record isn't all that great. :)

That may be Earl, my logic in thinking is this. When Buick installed the "Stock" chain, the GN was only making 235HP give or take correct? Now I am wanting to get 400HP ish out of my GN with some future mods. So, in my mind a non nylon gear makes more sense to me. Just my 2 cents..

Your camshaft doesn't turn the tires. There's nothing to gain or lose at the crank (or the tires) by sticking with what works at the valves. All that chain does is squish springs and drive the oil pump. That load is the same if you're making 300HP or 600HP. You've personally seen the miles and years that stock set achieved.

Now if you put 450# springs up top, fill the pan with 20W50 and jack the oil pressure up to 125#s wtih a HV pump, that's be a different story. But it woudn't be the timing chains fault for failure then. That's just be straight up abuse.

Your camshaft doesn't turn the tires. There's nothing to gain or lose at the crank (or the tires) by sticking with what works at the valves. All that chain does is squish springs and drive the oil pump. That load is the same if you're making 300HP or 600HP. You've personally seen the miles and years that stock set achieved.

Now if you put 450# springs up top, fill the pan with 20W50 and jack the oil pressure up to 125#s wtih a HV pump, that's be a different story. But it woudn't be the timing chains fault for failure then. That's just be straight up abuse.

When you put it like that.... well, let’s just say, I never claimed to be smart lol, I just wanna go fast.

I got a new cover on the way, oil mod was on my mind already from your mod post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally use only Melling timing chain and gears on all the engines I work on, including all the turbo Buicks I've had apart. Never had to touch them again.
And I also use Melling tensioner and cam button.

I ordered the Comp Cam 3129 from Cotton's. I read somewhere on here that Bill Anderson himself recommended this timing chain.
I will also be installing a new cam ( Comp Cam 206 though a 212 is on my mind), lifters, valve springs, head gaskets from RJC.
Got my AN lines ordered for my DW300 pump, going full E85 conversion.

Where is the best place to get a stock chain?

I replace mine a couple of years ago with new valve springs & oil pickup tube...I didn't do the oil pump mod. I found the orginial timing set Cam & crank gear and same chain(gm part #). That's what I wanted to use. I think it is still available in the US by a private warehouse that took over alot of discontinued parts(new old stock parts)through the GM dealer, that's where I got mine at the time...I payed like $400-450cdn(cam gear/crank gear/chain), The Cam gear is what starts to break down & crack the most because of the plastic around the teeth over the years. Not speaking for all.

here's a pic of mine with 89,000miles

*go with a new roller cam button and new chain tensioner available from gbodyparts.com/drives way nicer

good luck

Attachments

• 20170816_185129 (1).jpg
    20170816_185129 (1).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 128
  • 20170816_185028 (2).jpg
    20170816_185028 (2).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The T/A chain is far superior to any stock style. Plastic gears are for production cars INHO. The billet gears and chain that T/A uses still allow for the use of the stock tensioner. Nick has some good info on this as well.