Which Rings and Bearings?

6SENSE

First thought is just go to the parts store and get the good ole Federal Mogul stuff or whatever they have. However Im trying to ACT smart :rolleyes: so I figured Id ask first. Are there any brands or type that are recommended to ultimately hold up better, for a street/ strip 4.1 build shooting for say [roughly] about 500rwhp? My machinist mentioned something about "race" bearings that hold up better (?), and I know there are better rings out there. Just need a little direction. Part #s and any instruction is welcome ;) Just trying to go a little faster hopefully in the near future :cool:

Are you gonna be putting the schneider 208/224 cam in a 4.1 ? Thats what i was thing of doing- but decided to go roller instead. It should work really well.

If you do a search on 4.1s- there are a couple of articles that give all the bearing numbers but i would still inquire the part numbers from a reputable engine builder like maybe Weber- I would also like to know what bearings Brian from Weber uses. Maybe he could chime in here?

Should be the same bearings as the 3.8, but here goes:

BEARINGS I USED:
CAM: TA 1557 from TA performance
ROD: Clevite 77 CB-1443 P (same as 3755APA)
MAIN: MS-960P-1 (“1” signifies .001 instead of STD)

Other bearings:

CAM BEARINGS:
TA 1557
Durabond BP13T (dry film coated)
Clevite SH1448S

MAIN BEARINGS:
Federal Mogul FM107M
Clevite MS-960P (coated)

ROD BEARINGS:
Speed Pro 6-7120-ch (wide)
Clevite CB1228P (Stock Width)
Clevite CB-1443P (wide)
Clevite CB1398H (wider and harder)
Federal Mogul 3755AP (Stock Width)
Federal Mogul 3755APA (Wider)

49-blues said:
Are you gonna be putting the schneider 208/224 cam in a 4.1 ? Thats what i was thing of doing- but decided to go roller instead. It should work really well.
Yes sir ;) Ive been planning on using this grind anyway (thanks to Lee for suggestions) so when I saw you had one for sale I new it was time to stop procrastinating and just grab it. I also made myself jump at some NICE heads, so hopefully I can make this thing a reality this year (time to go do some more side jobs).

Thanks for all the info Squid.

Let us know how it works out for you after you get it all together- i think im gonna use a 218/218 roller on mine.

Wait!

ATTENTION: The cam bearings for the 4.1 are different, Durabond # BP12 that is because the front journal is not grooved on 4.1 and 3.8 14 bolt pan blocks.

I would think TA would give him the right bearings if he told them what motor it was going in. Are you saying the TA-1557 cam bearing is not the right one for a 4.1 block?

I know the Durabond # was incorrect for the 4.1 that is the 3.8 p/n.
There is a few thing to consider when using the 14 bolt pan blocks (4.1 82-84 and 3.8 84 -early 85) The front cam journal on the block didnt have a oil groove the front journal on the cam has the groove and the bearing is different for oiling.
The 109 blocks have a oil goove in the block, and a solid journal cam and those bearings are different.
If the wrong combintion of parts is used disasterous results can occur.
for example.
4.1 block with ungrooved cam and 3.8 bearing no oil to the L side
Look here for more disscusion:
http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36449&highlight=groove
TA has bearing for both blocks I understand.

87gta-turbo said:
ATTENTION: The cam bearings for the 4.1 are different, Durabond # BP12 that is because the front journal is not grooved on 4.1 and 3.8 14 bolt pan blocks.

Sorry, should have been more specific. I meant the rods and mains are the same. :eek: