Which is preferred? Delco TPS sensors(which version) or Standard Motor Products SMP TH49

just re-read this entire thread...research and information is ever evolving....

in post #12 for hot air 84-85 TPS units, I noted it was believed the TPS units sold by Casper's were a version from Standard Motor Products. That is not the case.

In fact, the Casper's 84-85 TPS unit is the same as the Tomco #14061 packaged TPS unit. this part was made by the same company that manufactured the second generation (made in Canada) TPS units for the 86-87 cars.

Anthony, you sure a dedicated. Grass Doc, you sure do listen and your rewarded with figuring out what Bruce and you have. Good work from all:whistle:

Thanks for the homework guys. This is still one of the reasons I like these cars, good people. Sure will miss the Bowling Green group hang out but thats how it goes. :mad: Does anyone know the company that made the units up here in Canada??? It might be worth a visit as I am stuck up here for now.;)

Hi Kevin, sent you an excerpt from my white paper on TPS units...if I post it publicly then that's less info for a future historical reference guide.

Hi Kevin, sent you an excerpt from my white paper on TPS units...if I post it publicly then that's less info for a future historical reference guide.
I'm listening, can I get a excerpt?

I see the Integrated Controls units are advertised as Made In USA and I believe the Standard is made in Kansas USA, same part ?

Hi Kevin, I don't know much about the Integrated Controls brand other than where I have seen the product listed for sale.

the Standard TH49 unit is physically different from the Integrated controls product - different injection molded case for starters.

SMP globally sources their suppliers/components. Hurricane Maria destroyed the Delphi/SMP manufacturing facility in Puerto Rico in 2017. Don't where where that facility's production moved to since. Some was absorbed by existing facilities in Mexico. As a comparative, the SMP DR36 coilpaks and their Delphi equivalents are manufactured in the same facility in Poland. SMP then imports & warehouses them in their Virginia warehouse for distribution.

Do any of the currently produced units have the "AC" in the mold? Molds are not cheap and I would have expected one of the new makers to acquire them when they took over production.

Do any of the currently produced units have the "AC" in the mold? Molds are not cheap and I would have expected one of the new makers to acquire them when they took over production.
no...those are the rarest of the rare...actually produced prior to the production of the 86/87 TR's ...I got supper lucky finding that one I have ...

Hey Matt, back in the 90's there where alot of them around. I still have 3 of them ??
nice ..yes sir...I believe the ones with the ac logo on them were originally made for Oldsmobile 84/85 and the 84 Buick century ...probably many other gm cars...it was interesting that the 84/85 hot airs turned the other way...once again you beat me on your supply of them :p as you have 3 ..and I only have the one:cautious:....:ROFLMAO:....but I still have a few of the made in Canada style ones...ya know the good ones ...good to hear from you Mikey...give bently a treat for me...