Which is preferred? Delco TPS sensors(which version) or Standard Motor Products SMP TH49

Hi Anthony,
Have you ever been to Tomco' webpage ? It's a very extensive old school cross reference type . Anyway, after looking thru all the pages , I got intrigued by there listing for a ' 84 Hot Air MAF , OE # 25007653. I had Chris send me some pics today , as I know that these are like Hen's teeth. Now I'm more confused. Below is a pic & the illustrated parts guide. The one I am running & that came on my engine , looks like # 6, not # 2 ?
Also , Chris stated that she had 20 or so of the GM 25036658 TPS's. She is sending me one , I expect in next Weds. or so. I'll let you know what
" box " it is in .
Thanks,
Lockman---------Richie

Attachments

• Tomco's MAF.jpg
    Tomco's MAF.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Illustrated MAF parts Guide.pdf
    302.6 KB · Views: 134
Hi Anthony,
Have you ever been to Tomco' webpage ? It's a very extensive old school cross reference type . Anyway, after looking thru all the pages , I got intrigued by there listing for a ' 84 Hot Air MAF , OE # 25007653. I had Chris send me some pics today , as I know that these are like Hen's teeth. Now I'm more confused. Below is a pic & the illustrated parts guide. The one I am running & that came on my engine , looks like # 6, not # 2 ?
Also , Chris stated that she had 20 or so of the GM 25036658 TPS's. She is sending me one , I expect in next Weds. or so. I'll let you know what
" box " it is in .
Thanks,
Lockman---------Richie
My 85 has the #2 orig. stock - did Chris have a price.

My 85 has the #2 orig. stock - did Chris have a price.

YesSir..... It's 120.00 . She says she has one left & the won't have anymore . Go for it....... It does not have the correct mounting screw boss's nor the correct electrical end connector location for my '84 . They have cross referenced to include mine, but that's where I've seen this kinda stuff before . 1984 was a unique year......from my previous research. It's gett'n tough for me, but you should be good.

Oh Yeah........ You don't need to send me a Pizza ? Real Chicken Wing's will do.... LoL :cool:

YesSir..... It's 120.00 . She says she has one left & the won't have anymore . Go for it....... It does not have the correct mounting screw boss's nor the correct electrical end connector location for my '84 . They have cross referenced to include mine, but that's where I've seen this kinda stuff before . 1984 was a unique year......from my previous research. It's gett'n tough for me, but you should be good.

Oh Yeah........ You don't need to send me a Pizza ? Real Chicken Wing's will do.... LoL :cool:
There is a NOS Ac Delco #25007653 on E Bay that may be the ticket. They don't reference a vehicle for this part.

Hi Anthony,
" box " it is in .
Thanks,
Lockman---------Richie
Richie, I was hoping you'd take the initiative to follow the bread crumbs in that PM as well as what I posted on the thread here and review with Chris what else Tomco has stashed on the shelves collecting dust. Glad you did just that.

take a look at these two threads below. good discussion of 84 and 85 MAF units. Yes, different part #'s and the physical appearance differences w/r/t mounting screw provisions vs. smooth, but GNVenom (John - owner of Casper's) notes the airflow mapping is the same. I noted the change from a screw cover to glued cover would prompt a GM part # change. Someone needs to grab that Tomco MAF. Hint, Hint.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/new-oem-maf.255622/

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/1984-gn-maf-search.457243/

In post #5, John had attached a PDF for the the 8485 MAF. link is dead from server crash but I am re-attaching that pdf here. save it so you have it. 86-87 attached also.

Attachments

• 8485maf.pdf
    142.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 8687maf.pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 134
I'm hoping that you all with cars are able to capitalize on this. AND that it works out. Curiousity has me wondering what's in the Tomco box. I look forward to reading about what you receive. I've had some pleasant surprises with the parts I've discovered in Tomco boxes. I'll expand on this another time.

@HotAirWH1 any pizza is great, just no anchovies and no olives. maybe one day we'll meet up, share some slices over shop talk.
Recieved the Tomco TPS Sensor today. Pic's of sensor and box (the sensor is shiny, not flat black). Won't know if it works until middle of April when I get the TR out of deep storage. Maybe Richie will test his when he gets it.

Attachments

• 84-85 TPS Sensor A13551.jpg
    84-85 TPS Sensor A13551.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Tomco TPS Sensor A13551 PN B-134.jpg
    Tomco TPS Sensor A13551 PN B-134.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Tomco TPS Sensor A13551.jpg
    Tomco TPS Sensor A13551.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Tomco TPS Sensor.jpg
    Tomco TPS Sensor.jpg
    697.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Tomco TPS Part # B-134 inside label.jpg
    Tomco TPS Part # B-134 inside label.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Tomco TPS 14061 Top Box.jpg
    Tomco TPS 14061 Top Box.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 165
I'm sure it's good........& I did not plan or need to install when I get mine. I was just grabbing these , as Anthony had suggested, 'Cuz the price was 2/3 lower than what you can find for our "84 & ' 85's. :giggle: Also, We were very curious to see if any came in the OEM AC Delco box Did any of yours?

hey there Tony I found another one ... what is this one :p its got the ac embossed in the casing .. hope this helps your research

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Sooooo..... It continues : :rolleyes:
Got my @0 TPS's from Tomco today. They came in the same exact Boxes that HotAirWH1 posted above. Here's my pic's & comments below.
Thank's , Anthony P .....hope my part in this helps.
Richie-------Lockman
Tomco & present TPS's.1.JPG
Left is OEM -----Right is Tomco's
Tomco & present TPS's.jpg
Left is OEM in.........Right is Tomco in. Big difference in tang's & Shaft's ???
Plastic Washer Tomco TPS.JPG
Noticed plastic ( or Teflon ) washer on Tomco's ???
Present TPS.jpg
TPS that Tests & I am presently running on my '84 HotAir.

hey there Tony I found another one ... what is this one :p its got the ac embossed in the casing .. hope this helps your research

View attachment 349303View attachment 349304

Holy cow Matt. that's the holy grail original equipment for 86-87! did you borrow that from a shelf in one of Bruce's barns? :cool:

those same units were on the '84 Buick Century, Cutlass Ciera, etc. with that 3.8 FWD with that huge distributor cap. I'll know more in a few days when production moved from Mexico to Canada and expand more about the company that was the OE supplier to GM.

had a minute to dig up old pics. if only we could go back to the 1990's and grab parts from the junk yards. TPS (actually entire throttle body), 233 fpr, 90* vac line connection, 8445 casting heads, do something with the valve covers, and 2-dot rods were all shared on the 3.8 MFI FWD engine I noted in previous post. pic taken 2008 or so of '83 Century T-type crate engine and more FWD 3.8's still in their GM crates. Gotta love the power 6 medallion proudly represented on intake.

Attachments

• P1000139.JPG
    P1000139.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 136
  • P1000345.JPG
    P1000345.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
had a minute to dig up old pics. if only we could go back to the 1990's and grab parts from the junk yards. TPS (actually entire throttle body), 233 fpr, 90* vac line connection, 8445 casting heads, do something with the valve covers, and 2-dot rods were all shared on the 3.8 MFI FWD engine I noted in previous post. pic taken 2008 or so of '83 Century T-type crate engine and more FWD 3.8's still in their GM crates. Gotta love the power 6 medallion proudly represented on intake.

Hey......I've got " the power 6 medallion proudly represented on My intake " !!!!

Hey......I've got " the power 6 medallion proudly represented on My intake " !!!!
Excellent...one 85 turbo crate engine I opened up and disassembled to parts only had a solid red disk. Glad you have the power 6 medallion.
TopViewIntake.jpg
many of the other 3.8 FWD engines had a silver disc that said, "6 CYL POWER." but I'm off-topic from the thread title now so I'll add some more TPS stuff tomorrow.

pic for attention .. I will say this when comparing all my nos tps sensors the one with Canadian sticker on it ...does feel the smoothest out of them all ...

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 135
Great info here. So is it safe to say the current A/C Delco is the same as the SMP's TH49 ?? Of the newer ones which is the best??
Thanks again for the hard work.

for the 86-87 turbo Regals, I believe that the ACDelco part today (ACD 213-4386; GM 19187340) is the same as Standard Motor Products TH49. there are many images on-line to compare the two and draw the same conclusion - from SMP's website directly and RockAuto, among others. And Standard (SMP) supplies many other brands. same part - different Package as I noted in earlier posts.

the ACDelco # (as did the GM #) changed to a seven digit number to reflect a new supplier - being the same supplier to SMP whether Standard is directly manufacturing this part or it is manufactured by yet another supplier to/for SMP.

Bison noted in post #16 that he will not use aftermarket TPS units and commented accordingly to emphasize the made in Canada TPS units are the ones to choose for reliability. I value his opinion. Other opinions may vary.

As I believe I pictured, or at least posted links to the various available aftermarket TPS units, you can see clearly there is a difference in the form of the actuator arm between the made in Canada 2nd generation GM/ACD units and today's aftermarket sensors. it is that different arm shape that I believe setting these aftermarket sensors is difficult to achieve both the low setting and high setting. Plus the value engineering of components to make parts cheaper today questions their reliability. Some aftermarket units use a PLASTIC shaft rather than a metal shaft that the lever arm attaches to.:eek:

I have a supply of the second generation, made in Canada TPS sensors. both in the GM box 25036663 and in bulk bagged packaging. PM me for details.

for the 84-85 turbo Regals, the best option for a TPS is from TOMCO as I noted above. Tomco did not make these. They were supplied to Tomco for private label packaging by the same manufacturer supplying the second generation TPS units for the 86-87 cars.

Last edited: