Which Fuel Pump Check Valve?

MichBC3

Bought a DW400 pump. As advertised, I can confirm that it does not have a check valve like other fuel pumps. This results in extended cranking during startup. Looked on Jegs and found the following:

a. Russell (Jegs part number 799-650603) has -06 AN fittings, $29.95
b. Dorman (Jegs part number 326-800-196) has 3/8" hose barbs, $33.99
c. Jegs brand (Jegs part number 555-150011) has -06 AN fittings, $48.99

Any others that I should consider that I missed? What are preferences out there?

Related to this is that I am still using the 3/8" factory steel fuel feed line with an adjustable Aeromotive regulator, but added a 3/8" return line to the tank because pressure was too high using the factory 5/16" return. I don't mind using adapters to use -06 AN on the feed line if necessary, but if I'm not mistaken, a -06 AN opening is slightly smaller than the 3/8" inside diameter of tubing.

I'm not mistaken, a -06 AN opening is slightly smaller than the 3/8" inside diameter of tubing.
You are correct. Also varies by manufacturer.

Purchased some -8 AN for a project and ID was .420 IIRC

What do you consider excessive cranking?

Mine fires right up if I catch it during the prime. If not it’s another second or 2 .

It's a longer cranking time (5 seconds) than when using the old Walbro fuel pump that had the check valve. The Deutschwerks DW400 pump specifically says that there is no check valve.

yes i discovered that when i installed my 400 not much of an issue like you have,
will follow the thread to see what you end up with
good luck

Related to this is that I am still using the 3/8" factory steel fuel feed line with an adjustable Aeromotive regulator,
The oem line is restricted at the ft end, unless you cut it off, and used an aftermkt hose/fittings. {AIRC, the restriction is significant.}

yes i discovered that when i installed my 400 not much of an issue like you have,
will follow the thread to see what you end up with
good luck
I can overcome extended cranking of course by doing a couple of "key on" sequences and watching for the fuel pressure to come up on my fuel pressure gauge. I guess that is why factory and many aftermarket fuel pumps include the built-in check valve.

Anyway, I was hoping to hear from somebody that has added a check valve to a DW400 fed fuel system to recommend something.

I won't be acting on this check valve issue for a while, but wanted to start planning. The engine is down for "service" for a few months.

Not too late! They will add it to your pump still. Just take it out and send it to them. I just googled "dw400 no check valve" and the PDF is there near the top of search.

An alternative would be to install a switch to turn on the pump. That’s what I did.

The Hotwire from the back of the alternator (where there’s also a fuse),to a switch inside the car,then directly to the pump. Simple to diagnose and no relays.

It serves as a theft deterrent as well since the switch is hidden.

I just hit the switch,watch FP rise,then crank.

A while back I read that there is less initial stress on the pump if it starts at 0psi. It makes since but am not sure if it’s a big factor.