which drag radial - MT ET Street S/S or Toyo Proxes R888R

0-60n4

Looking to purchase a set or drag radials, size 255/50-R16 and wanted to get recommendations, pros and cons on these two tires from the forum.

This will be a street driven car looking to get good launch traction on the street when needed. No plans for the drag strip. driven under 1,000 miles per year and try NOT to drive in the rain. So mileage and wet weather is not a big concern.

Price wise it looks like the Toyo is about $90.00 less per tire.

Mickey's stick a lot better in the 275/60 size then the Toyo's do, dont think there would be a big difference in the 255/50 with that small of a side wall on the street so go for the price.

Looking to purchase a set or drag radials, size 255/50-R16 and wanted to get recommendations, pros and cons on these two tires from the forum.

This will be a street driven car looking to get good launch traction on the street when needed. No plans for the drag strip. driven under 1,000 miles per year and try NOT to drive in the rain. So mileage and wet weather is not a big concern.

Price wise it looks like the Toyo is about $90.00 less per tire.
Run the Mickey r tire not the ss.

why the R instead of the S/S on the street?
Because the r tire is the faster tire on the track nor street.
The r tire hooks as good as the pro but is legal for street use😉
The sidewall design is not as stiff as the ss,the ss has way too much stiffness to hook hard on the street.
The 2 tires aren't even close.

I don't think MT makes a R compound 16" tire? If they do it would probably be the best performing DR out there and the SS tire is still a really good DR.

The R888r is a road race Auto X tire that works extremely well in those conditions and so so for drag.

The Toyo Proxy TQ is the drag radial is available in a 275/45/16 which fit a stock Regal very well and I have had a lot of success running on the street and drag strip on a pro-touring style car. I also run the R888r's on Auto X and Road Course/ There is no comparison between the Toyo DR and R888r on the street my car kills the R888rs and just hooks with the TQ

I'm not talking about staying with a 16😉
They have the r tire in 17 and 18 if low profile is a must but alot of guys who are trying to run their cars hard around the turns and want still want to fly in a straight line have a different set of rear rims and tires.
They just swap them out when they are doing straight line racing so they can be as close to optimal as they can without changing the suspension setup and balance of the car itself.
Basically let the tire do as much of it as it can.

Thanks. I somehow overlooked the TQ. Probably because I searched for 255/50-16. The TQ is sounding very good and the extra sectional width is a plus. So you don’t think rubbing will be an issue in the 16” gnx style wheel?

If not it sounds perfect for my intended use.

If you are drag racing or straightl ine racing the MTs all day.

R888s are for turns and tracks

I've been running SS on the street for 20 years with no problem. Even drove home from Kirbans in the rain one year. No problems. I would not recommend that and if you do just don't give it heavy throttle. For safety reasons, it's the only tire I would use on the road plain and simple

Thanks. I somehow overlooked the TQ. Probably because I searched for 255/50-16. The TQ is sounding very good and the extra sectional width is a plus. So you don’t think rubbing will be an issue in the 16” gnx style wheel?

If not it sounds perfect for my intended use.
Not at all they fit really well.
289641645_497558275504185_8719244956417487186_n.jpg

I've been running SS on the street for 20 years with no problem. Even drove home from Kirbans in the rain one year. No problems. I would not recommend that and if you do just don't give it heavy throttle. For safety reasons, it's the only tire I would use on the road plain and simple
If you are in the wet then 100% the SS ,but the 275/60/15 R radial will out sixty the SS all day

Also depends on the power your car puts out, i ran Toyo Proxeys 275/45/16 on gnx reps it was like ice skating when into boost but they looked sweet on the car, when i swapped rims out to race (255/60/15) MT r2 compound it was night and day difference ,this was on my slower buick at around 579rwhp

those are 16x8 (TA front) wheels on the back? what size tires are on the front?
Yes and no lol. They are early two piece GTA rear wheels I had centers cut out and re-welded with a 4" BS. I believe the fronts are normally a 4.5" BS so the 275's will have an easier time fitting with the normal GTA front wheel than these but I have that nice flush looking fit.

FYI, I just drove this car all over South Carolina in a hurricane on Toyo's they do pretty well in the rain! I did road race the car once in the rain too, also on Toyo R888r's

M&H makes a 275/55/16 drag radial. This is a taller tire and would probably hook better than the 275/45/16 tire. Not many options for 16” drag radials, as you have found.