Which car battery is best? (Test results)

to bad he didnt test an odyssey battery ... good info though ..gotta get two for the cummins soon ... wally world it is :p thx jerryl... gimma dolla

I run a Duracell in mine, don't know what's the best today, I know the Optima used to be the best until they sold the company and now they're made in Mexico. I would buy a cheap ass AutoZone, or Wal*Mart before I touch a Optima again. Went through 3 batteries in 7 years. When they were made here in Denver they were the best...Now they're just CRAP!!!

Ironically I watched this and my battery went dead and tested bad few days later [emoji23]

Headed to Walmart on Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a Duracell in mine, don't know what's the best today, I know the Optima used to be the best until they sold the company and now they're made in Mexico. I would buy a cheap ass AutoZone, or Wal*Mart before I touch a Optima again. Went through 3 batteries in 7 years. When they were made here in Denver they were the best...Now they're just CRAP!!!

I had 2 Made in USA Red-Top Optimas in my Dodge/Cummins. Think they lasted about 7 years of cold morning starts. The Mexican Red-Top Optima in my Jeep didn't last very long at all. A "Battery Geek" told me that the re-claimed lead in the Mexico Optimas is not very clean & cannot perform like the old USA made ones.

Take a gander:

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/top-suppliers/battery-manufacturers-suppliers/

All conventional lead-acid wet cell car batteries in the U.S. are actually only manufactuered by one of two companies: Tripp Lite and Mouser.

I don't know which brands are which offhand, but I'll tell you, modern manufacturing and a QC means the two are so close to each other it doesn't matter anymore. They're like copier paper at this point.

For example: Autozone Duralast. Regular, Gold, Platinum. What's the difference?

The warranty. The batteries are exactly the same. Buy a platinum and you get a fancy sticker and better warranty. The battery itself is exactly the same as the lower grade option. Exact same plant. Exact same content. Exact same risk of leaving you stuck. Wildly different price points.

So which battery to get? The cheapest one with the largest CCA rating that fits in the spot. Then don't abuse it. Keep a quality tender on it and they'll all last the better part of a decade.

I had 2 Made in USA Red-Top Optimas in my Dodge/Cummins. Think they lasted about 7 years of cold morning starts. The Mexican Red-Top Optima in my Jeep didn't last very long at all. A "Battery Geek" told me that the re-claimed lead in the Mexico Optimas is not very clean & cannot perform like the old USA made ones.
yes the optima's are crap .. now my buddy had a yellow top for 6 years .. got a new one last year and it is done already !!... i had an interstate marine battery in my little 16 ' skiff and it sat outside and covered in saltwater all the time it lasted 7 years LOL

Take a gander:

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/top-suppliers/battery-manufacturers-suppliers/

All conventional lead-acid wet cell car batteries in the U.S. are actually only manufactuered by one of two companies: Tripp Lite and Mouser.

I don't know which brands are which offhand, but I'll tell you, modern manufacturing and a QC means the two are so close to each other it doesn't matter anymore. They're like copier paper at this point.

For example: Autozone Duralast. Regular, Gold, Platinum. What's the difference?

The warranty. The batteries are exactly the same. Buy a platinum and you get a fancy sticker and better warranty. The battery itself is exactly the same as the lower grade option. Exact same plant. Exact same content. Exact same risk of leaving you stuck. Wildly different price points.

So which battery to get? The cheapest one with the largest CCA rating that fits in the spot. Then don't abuse it. Keep a quality tender on it and they'll all last the better part of a decade.

Exide/GNB is also a large behind teh scenes manufacturer of all batteries

I used to be a “Die Hard” fan of Sears battery .... no pun intended [emoji23]

I had a few of the Die Hard Gold batteries that lasted me 7-8 years. I have tried several different manufactures since (Autozone, Duracell, Costco brand, and Interstate) and struggled to get 4-5 years out of any of them. And Lawnmower batteries are a whole different story [emoji3061]

A lead acid battery is a very simple device. Given a properly operating charging system and vehicle, why are some better and last longer than others?

Raw material purity and assembly quality control, and proper maintenance.

I just picked up the Walmart one for $80, not AGM, but weighs under 30 lbs. last one I had was from late 2013

I just picked up the Walmart one for $80, not AGM, but weighs under 30 lbs. last one I had was from late 2013

Which one you get? I am heading out to grab one in a few hours today

Last edited:
His test is interesting but you can't charge a AGM battery the same way you charge a regular battery. I use Napa or Sears batteries with pretty good luck.

You're right, to properly charge an AGM , you must havce an AGM charger, plus when you buy one of those batteries, they'll extend your warranty by a year if you purchase the charger at the time of the battery. But even with that being said,and using the AGM charger, the optima's just don't last

I got the plus for $80, I weighed on the scale there and it was 26 lbs but I returned the same one from 2013 and it was 29 lbs