Which back up camera to buy?

Thanks for your reply. I think the wireless one would be easier to install but it definitely costs more.

we had one put in our E250 when we got it back in 2012... "yuuuuge" blind spot back there.
FWIW, the guy at the shop told me that the wireless units can be subject to some interference and he did not recommend.it.
We went with the Mito [wired] unit and display in the Gentex mirror. Yes, it was pricey, but we have been very pleased. The display is clear. A bonus was that I can just see the ball which is helpful for hooking up the trailer - as Andrew noted.

^^^ Yes, a lot like that, not sure of exact model (nothing on my paperwork)
I'm at home with the file now (was going from memory earlier).
Looks like Mito is the distributor for the Gentex.mirrors.
The camera that we got is a "Boyo" #VTL425.
Good luck.
oh yeah, cool wagon! :cool:

^^^ Yes, a lot like that, not sure of exact model (nothing on my paperwork)
I'm at home with the file now (was going from memory earlier).
Looks like Mito is the distributor for the Gentex.mirrors.
The camera that we got is a "Boyo" #VTL425.
Good luck.
oh yeah, cool wagon! :cool:
Here is a pic of my new 96 wagon. Has the LT1 motor. 260 HP, 330 tq, 24 mpg hwy...

Attachments

• IMG_20180601_151321593_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180601_151321593_HDR.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 60
My boss and a coworker got them for their Toyota pick ups. My boss had his installed at a car audio shop and the other was installed by the coworker. Both are hard wired. Guess it wasn't too difficult. The shop said the same, wireless can be spotty. I've had factory back up cams in several cars over the years and love them. My only advice on aftermarket ones in the mirror would be get the largest display. The ones my boss and coworker has are pretty small. They certainly help but the bigger the better when it comes to usefulness.

I saw the photo on another thread, those are cool cars. Bulgari has one with a 711 rwhp big block in Allentown :eek::cool:
Kinda funny, our company founder loved big wagons... drove nothing but for probably 40 years, he was strictly a blue oval guy. Some of the other guys talked him into one of the Roadmasters when Ford quit the big wagon business. It drove and ran great... but the electrical system was a real nightmare. Hope you got a good one.
here is the camera on our van - it is barely visible ... fwiw, you could park that wagon in the blind spot there :rolleyes:
x8JWqpOl.jpg

The reviews are positive for the camera that I bought. Bought it from Amazon so if I don't like it back it goes. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

GNRick give us an update when you get it installed, BTW .. Nice Wagon ...Look's very comfortable for a ROAD TRIP !!

GNRick give us an update when you get it installed, BTW .. Nice Wagon ...Look's very comfortable for a ROAD TRIP !!
Yes the Roadmaster Wagon (RMW for you home gamers ) is very comfy. As for the camera, shouldn't it turn to red as you get closer? This one doesn't change colors but the thing behind you actually gets bigger in the video. Is this normal? At night these little LED's come on which really lights things up!

Rick.. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't turn red unless a moving object appears in the backup radius perimeter, sounds like you got the camara with the magnifying lens, which is good thing for old farts like ourselves. I'm not familiar with those LED lights that you mention, but it does sound pretty cool. Now let's go on Vacation, and test that backup camara in the tight shopping mall parking lot .

A friend of mine bought a 2015 GMC pickup. He said I can see how his backup camera works. I found a couple groups on Facebook for the wagon so I'm learning stuff I never knew before.

could you please give a link to what you bought? Sounds very nice, I have a buddy considering getting one for an SUV... Thanks.

Link is in my first post. Very happy with the camera. The colors green, yellow and red are always "on" when going in reverse. As the object gets bigger (closer) it enters the different colored areas.

thanks, I wasn't sure after the discussion if you had stayed with the wireless.
Glad to hear that it is working out well .