Where to buy file fit rings for 3.840 with?

gstewart

I'm looking for file fit rings for 3.840 piston with 5/64,5/64,and 3/16. I called Total Seal and they don't have them. Any suggestions?

Depending on what you plan to run for ring end gaps you can probably run rings for a 3.840" bore and file fit them.

Neal

Depending on what you plan to run for ring end gaps you can probably run rings for a 3.840" bore and file fit them.

Neal
I'm assuming ring gaps are different for hyper pistons from forged. I was gonna go with the speed-pro hypers but since file fit rings are hard to find I'm leaning towards forged pistons from Webber.

I'm assuming ring gaps are different for hyper pistons from forged. I was gonna go with the speed-pro hypers but since file fit rings are hard to find I'm leaning towards forged pistons from Webber.

Ring end gap is more a function of target H.P. level not piston material. I'd suggest you spend the extra money and buy the forged pistons. In regard to my comment above, typically you'll run larger ring end clearance at a higher H.P. level. With that said a standard replacement ring for the bore size might actually have too little end clearance. You can file them as desired.

Neal

I was under the impression that I could file standard rings down and when I mentioned that when I was about to order my rings, he said I needed file to fit rings. Summitracing told me that and also total seal told me I needed file to fit. I got so confused today.

I'm looking for file fit rings for 3.840 piston with 5/64,5/64,and 3/16. I called Total Seal and they don't have them. Any suggestions?

'file fit' means the rings are .005" smaller than rated. In other words a file fit 4.000" rings for a SBC or 302 are nothing more than 4.005" rings.

In our case we have to run wider gaps than N/A, so frankly the 'correct' size are actually file fit rings in real life.