Where Can Oil Leak From?

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
Please list ALL locations that our engines can leak oil at.
I have valve cover gasket, rear main seal, front seal, breathers, rubber washers on breathers, wastegate solenoid, oil pan, up pipe connections, intercooler connections, PCV grommet and valve, oil cooler fittings, oil cooler lines, base of oil filter.

Am I missing any???

The question is worded incorrectly if you want an easy list of locations. It should be: "Where can oil NOT leak from?"

Nowhere.

I have personally seen oil leak from "nowhere" on my GN. Many times. Even today, still.

I think oil sealing gaskets were an afterthought with GM when they designed the turbo 3.8.

funny!

The question is worded incorrectly if you want an easy list of locations. It should be: "Where can oil NOT leak from?"

LOL...!! I can't quit laughing....Hell, one of my cars is leaking oil thru the side of the oil pan because it is so rusty! I put some epoxy glue on it a couple months ago...that worked great until it finally fell off! I am still looking for a 20 bolt oil pan, found one but it doesn't have any baffles in it which I'm sure I need....:(

rear passenger seat mounting brackets, hood-liner, radio bezel, mufflers... you'd be surprised! :tongue::biggrin:

These engines leak everywhere.... this question is funny! Don't forget the compressor and turbine wheel seals... lol

EVERYWHERE!!!! I've been chasing an oil leak in my front cover area for about 2 years now. I can't get it to stop!!!

I agree with the majority here, one of the first things you learn about these cars is they leak oil......... from everywhere. At first its very frustrating, then challenging and finally you accept it and laugh about it. The sooner you get to the third step the better.

All the above.
Some of the more high flow areas are the rear main seal, oil pan, front crank seal, front and rear of intake.

Best bet is to spray the crap outta of the engine with a few cans of brake clean (cold engine) in the oily areas. Then drive and check, you can see the new leaks and track it down in alot of situations but not all.

I had a car leaking like crazy in the middle of crossver turns out it was not the rear main or oil pan it was the middle front of the intake running down the pass side of the front of the engine, then running down the pan rail and dripping on the x over.

But its a Turbo regal if its a DD its gonna leak Period

These engines leak everywhere.... this question is funny! Don't forget the compressor and turbine wheel seals... lol

I have that one. My drain is plugged and I ran a vacuum hose from the wastegate to a small catchcan.

I had a car leaking like crazy in the middle of crossver turns out it was not the rear main or oil pan it was the middle front of the intake running down the pass side of the front of the engine, then running down the pan rail and dripping on the x over.

But its a Turbo regal if its a DD its gonna leak Period

Have that one too. I know a little leaking is expected and am not expecting a bone dry undercarriage but having small puddles under the car and having the bottom of the car (past the drivers's seat) look like the BP spill is not acceptable.

My buddy who always has owned turbo buicks told me this when I bought the car off him, "If it doesn't leak something, it ain't a turbo buick." So far he has been correct in the 2 I have owned..

HA Awesome Well I am done chasing mine then! Glad you posted this cause I have already spent two days tightening searching tightening to get mine to a small seepage. Thanks!

Nowhere.

I have personally seen oil leak from "nowhere" on my GN. Many times. Even today, still.

I think oil sealing gaskets were an afterthought with GM when they designed the turbo 3.8.

Good one John :biggrin:

I thought the oil leakage was a factory option... silly me.

Here I was thinking "Thanks GM, Now I'll never have to change my oil, I'll just top it off as it runs out!"...:cool:

My favorite is the rear oil galley plugs BEHIND THE FLEXPLATE!!!!! It is one of the least common but it will drive you NUTS trying to find THAT leak onto the crossover pipe. If you ever have a turbo buick down to the block look at every hole that is not a coolant passage as the next leak you have to fix! Good luck with it, Jon Hanson

Buicks don't leak oil they mark their territory;)It's the Alpha male thing:p

Kevin