When it rains it pours on me!

groumoutis

The trans is in need of a rebuild as soon as possible and while it was nice out today I found this!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421709225.164070.jpg

Nope but it did last 93,000 miles. It just sucks that it happened while I need to rebuild the trans. Sucks the wallet dry.

Nope but it did last 93,000 miles. It just sucks that it happened while I need to rebuild the trans. Sucks the wallet dry.

Don't sweat it. Take it off and send it to one of the reputable vendors/shops to have it welded for now. When it crack's again...... and it will crack again........get an aftermarket replacement when you have the money. Oh, one more thing. Don't even think it lasted 93,000 miles. It's probably been cracked for quite a while.

I checked on it last spring and it was ok. Not saying it hadn't started cracking but it wasn't like it is now! The ticking started this past summer.

Is it better to have it tig welded with gussets? I have a great welder in the area!

I checked on it last spring and it was ok. Not saying it hadn't started cracking but it wasn't like it is now! The ticking started this past summer.

Is it better to have it tig welded with gussets? I have a great welder in the area!

Better check with some of the guys who insist on using the stocker. I had mine welded by Cotton's. However, I always thought it to be temporary because I knew I would soon outgrow the factory headers.

I had a guy in Brownsburg weld in an O2 bung for me and it was some of the best work I have ever had done. He saved my downpipe from a hack job. 317-908-4041 Ryan 1325 S Odell Street Brownsburg, IN. Once you see his samples in his extremely messy garage you will be sold. And he can turn it around in a matter of hours, at least he did for me. Search craigslist for welding lessons.

No big deal at all. Weld it, install a gusset, or put a diaper on it for a permanent fix.

When you outgrow the stock headers, you're doing something.

I'm very new to the forum, but my experience (mostly Fords) has always been that with increase in power over stock, something has to give. Is this a common issue on a bone stock application? Or more of "weak link" once the power increases?
Thanks.

I'm very new to the forum, but my experience (mostly Fords) has always been that with increase in power over stock, something has to give. Is this a common issue on a bone stock application? Or more of "weak link" once the power increases?
Thanks.
Stock header crack is common on a bone stock application also, they have to be inspected every so often.

A lot of the time the metal simply erodes over time.. then a little pressure.. cracks. Coupled with it being cheap material and 30 years old.. there you have it

If cost is THAT MUCH of a factor weld them. You will have to get new ones eventually (or just keep welding them). I would just get the Stainless TA's. Might as well ceramic coat them too. It's fun spending other people's money:LOL:

But seriously that is the way I went.

Im on my 3rd weld of the stockers one more and i spring for the TA's

There's a solid crossover pipe connection the two headers. When it gets hot it wants to grow and move around. With the headers bolted to a rigid fixture, that section of pipe is the first place to crack. They all do it. It's really no big deal.

Haha, I read this thinking it was going to be something bad... Last summer I broke a factory crank for no apparent reason, put in another stock short block and not 500 miles later lost a ball joint and blew the tire out and wiped out the rim, it literally cracked the bottom of the BJ cup out and the ball came completely out.... I wrote them off as "It's a turbo buick, it could be worse...." I'd say at a trans build and a cracked manifold I'd say your doing well!

,Dan

The bad part is I have spent around $20,000 in the last six months for a new garage and lift. That's why it sucks. The car has been pretty good to me so far. So I can't complain too much. Every spring I have checked on the drivers side header and it was good until last summer then I started getting the ticking. I checked it yesterday since it was 50 degrees outside. The transmission needs rebuilt and that is pushing my savings to the edge.

I can weld but the picture doesn't show how spider webbed this thing is. I think I am going to try and weld it up but I'm not sure it will last much longer.

The bad part is I have spent around $20,000 in the last six months for a new garage and lift. That's why it sucks. The car has been pretty good to me so far. So I can't complain too much. Every spring I have checked on the drivers side header and it was good until last summer then I started getting the ticking. I checked it yesterday since it was 50 degrees outside. The transmission needs rebuilt and that is pushing my savings to the edge.

I can weld but the picture doesn't show how spider webbed this thing is. I think I am going to try and weld it up but I'm not sure it will last much longer.

Oh, great!! I'll buy you the header if I can give me a copy of the key to your garage. This rolling around on cardboard at night with a flashlight in a gravel driveway in the rain is just starting to get played out.:(

No key needed! It has a coded entry door! If you wanna drive all the way here you can use the lift! Might not be worth the gas. You might wanna fill up while you are here since gas is only $1.52.

I was in the same boat as you laying under the car in the gravel while raining! I had to change out the fuel pump in those exact conditions. Not anymore!!!!

ebf563c31dee50a97cdad62e02798b54.jpg
4b9d1249704c03be108030870a133945.jpg

Last edited: