When did you first spot one?

The first time I saw one, there was another one parked next to it :eek:

Pulled into Thunder Valley Raceway to watch my first Ford vs. Buick and there in the sea of black granny cars, right inside the entrance, were a father and son pair of Xs. They were racing them too...:biggrin:

When i ordered my gn new one came on same truck that my car came on tully buick in nashua nh I was 22 yrs old still have pics of it some place that was my first tr now just bought my last tr from nashua :D guess somethings never change wife does nt know maybe she ll think i always had it :confused: some people on site will remember the number also got a ride in 342 car would be at nicks ice cream stand and asked guy for a ride hey i was a kid :biggrin: guess the guy got a kick out of kid asking

first and only real one i saw (lol) was @ bear mountain car show. thought it was a clone @ first, but i scoped it for a min saw the plaque. i then did a drop to the ground saw the suspension, then heard "can help you mr" it belonged to a retired couple who are the biggest fans of turbo buicks ive seen. there kids and step kids all had gn's and t types, every type of news articles and clippings, clothing posters etc... bout tr's. amazing prople even let me sit inside it and start it. i see them often @ the show real good people:smile:

In the showroom at Creger Buick in Lansdale, PA in '87.

I don't recall the number. but I think it was somewhere in the 21x-22x range.

I was 15 and drooled every time I rode my bike by. :cool:

That's where I saw my first one too. I sort of remember them taking sealed bids to buy it. BTW, that's is the car I looked under for the part numbers on the mufflers to buy them for my GN. They are the same ones that were on the 83 Regal.

The first one I ever layed eyes on was in about 93' in Oklahoma City. I had a 90' 5.0 with a Vortech and the old Compucar nitrous system. We were out street racing and ran up on two of "those black Buicks" I remember cleaning up on the tough looking one with the wierd flares and cool wheels but had my a$$ handed to me by the other one, that I now know was "just" a GN. I couldn't get over how well those cars hooked. I was running 11:30s at the time but had a hard time putting it to the groung. I remember the GNX lifting in a strange way as we staged at a stop light, but that GN he was running with was just quick. I havn't thought about that in quite a while. Jon

First one I saw was back in 1987 at my buddy's house. His older brother had a friend whose fatehr collected cars and he was saying that his dad just purchased a GNX. We were all like what's that??? Then he drove it to the house to show us and we were all floored. Therein started the lust affair with Grand Nationals. I don't remember the number, but I will always remember when he pulled up in that thing and the sound of him taking off in it. :eek:

The first GNX that I had ever seen on the street was at night in the late summer of 1987. At the time I owned an '86 Grand National that I had ordered and bought new from a dealership in Chicago in the summer of 1986.

I had seen the car on the street parked alone near some other cars. At the time, the owner and various other cars were street racing at a site on the southside of Chicago. I parked my GN and walked by the GNX and gave it a once over. I didn't look in the window to see what number it was or anything like that because I didn't want to get hurt. And looking in someone's car was a surefire way TO GET HURT. Having owned a Grand National, I could see the obvious differences in the car such as the fender flares, tires, and fender vents. The car also had a vanity plate on it - "Gas N Oil".
I only spent a little time out there and soon left since no good racing was going on. But I didn't forget about the car...

Because at the time I was interested in all articles related to the turbo Buick, I knew about the GNX but this was the first one I had ever seen. But I later heard a little backstory about that car I had seen. It was owned by a big time drug dealer who regularly street raced it. A popular story at the time involved the car being constantly raced one very hot night on the street and being constantly beaten. The owner didn't have enouigh sense to let the car cool down between runs and the thing was just dying.
Within the next couple of years after that, the drug dealer was killed due to a bad drug deal in Florida. The feds allegedly went after everything that was owned by this guy including the car. The guy's family did a good job of playing hide and seek with it and eventually sold it. To whom I don't know. I also don't know of its present whereabouts or even if its still rolling.

My Grand National was brutally fast but was starting to become common. There were also many T-Types running around also at this time. I began seeing women driving them also. The final blow was when I saw an old lady in a Grand National with vanity plates that had her name on it - "Annie". My male ego couldn't take it anymore and I then decided to get me a GNX. There was only one Buick dealership selling them in Chicago at the time and they wanted way, way too much for it.
I combed the newspaper ads and found a couple of Buick dealerships in the northern suburbs that had some. The first one I went to had one but they also wanted too much for it. I then went to Loren Buick in Glenview, Illinois and they wound up having one also. I talked to the salesman and they liked my car was wanted to give me a good buck for the trade in. I thought about it and eventually came back a few days later. When I returned, I found out that the dealership had just gotten in two more GNXs and they told me to walk around and pick out one. I picked out the newest one - number 531. We made a deal (that I subsequently got shafted on) set it up for the end of the week.

Like I said, my GN was brutally fast so I wondered if I had made a VERY BIG MISTAKE. I pulled over on Lake Shore Drive and wondered about it. I sat there for awhile and finally decided to go for it. I drove to the dealership and turned in my GN and came out with GNX 531. My GN was actually sold before I had even driven the GNX off of the lot. One of the mechanics had bought my car so it never hit the used car lot.

This was in November of 1987 that I bought the GNX. Approximately two years later in '89, the dealership contacted me and told me ther they had another GNX for sale that was a demo and they offered me first crack at it. I went over my finances and thought about it and again decided to go for it!! I bought number 56.

In the late nineties I badly needed money for a building that I wanted since I was renting. I wound up selling my first GNX to a guy in Wisconsin. I still have my second car.
I really miss my first car though since it was much faster than my second. All GNXs (like all Grand Nationals) do not run the same.
Unlike many guys, I buy CARS TO DRIVE, NOT SHOW. I'm inot interested in trailer queens. And I've driven my GNXs all over the country. They are very good road cars.

Many people look at these cars with rose colored glasses but I was THERE FROM THE BEGINNING. And although they were fast, they weren't very well built. My Grand National and my GNXs stayed in the shop. There was always some little thing wrong. The quality control was very bad on GM cars in general in the 80s.
Often I get the urge to sell it but, I don't know....

In Toronto in the spring of 88

I was in my new GN driving on the 401 near the airport in Toronto. I passed it at night in a big rain storm. No idea of #, but it had Michigan plates.

First time: Early August '87 strapped-down to a roll-back operated by Larry's Towing out in the cul de sac in front of 34165 Autry St. in Livonia. BTW, it was pouring rain.

The first GNX that I had ever seen on the street was at night in the late summer of 1987. At the time I owned an '86 Grand National that I had ordered and bought new from a dealership in Chicago in the summer of 1986.

I had seen the car on the street parked alone near some other cars. At the time, the owner and various other cars were street racing at a site on the southside of Chicago. I parked my GN and walked by the GNX and gave it a once over. I didn't look in the window to see what number it was or anything like that because I didn't want to get hurt. And looking in someone's car was a surefire way TO GET HURT. Having owned a Grand National, I could see the obvious differences in the car such as the fender flares, tires, and fender vents. The car also had a vanity plate on it - "Gas N Oil".
I only spent a little time out there and soon left since no good racing was going on. But I didn't forget about the car...

Because at the time I was interested in all articles related to the turbo Buick, I knew about the GNX but this was the first one I had ever seen. But I later heard a little backstory about that car I had seen. It was owned by a big time drug dealer who regularly street raced it. A popular story at the time involved the car being constantly raced one very hot night on the street and being constantly beaten. The owner didn't have enouigh sense to let the car cool down between runs and the thing was just dying.
Within the next couple of years after that, the drug dealer was killed due to a bad drug deal in Florida. The feds allegedly went after everything that was owned by this guy including the car. The guy's family did a good job of playing hide and seek with it and eventually sold it. To whom I don't know. I also don't know of its present whereabouts or even if its still rolling.

My Grand National was brutally fast but was starting to become common. There were also many T-Types running around also at this time. I began seeing women driving them also. The final blow was when I saw an old lady in a Grand National with vanity plates that had her name on it - "Annie". My male ego couldn't take it anymore and I then decided to get me a GNX. There was only one Buick dealership selling them in Chicago at the time and they wanted way, way too much for it.
I combed the newspaper ads and found a couple of Buick dealerships in the northern suburbs that had some. The first one I went to had one but they also wanted too much for it. I then went to Loren Buick in Glenview, Illinois and they wound up having one also. I talked to the salesman and they liked my car was wanted to give me a good buck for the trade in. I thought about it and eventually came back a few days later. When I returned, I found out that the dealership had just gotten in two more GNXs and they told me to walk around and pick out one. I picked out the newest one - number 531. We made a deal (that I subsequently got shafted on) set it up for the end of the week.

Like I said, my GN was brutally fast so I wondered if I had made a VERY BIG MISTAKE. I pulled over on Lake Shore Drive and wondered about it. I sat there for awhile and finally decided to go for it. I drove to the dealership and turned in my GN and came out with GNX 531. My GN was actually sold before I had even driven the GNX off of the lot. One of the mechanics had bought my car so it never hit the used car lot.

This was in November of 1987 that I bought the GNX. Approximately two years later in '89, the dealership contacted me and told me ther they had another GNX for sale that was a demo and they offered me first crack at it. I went over my finances and thought about it and again decided to go for it!! I bought number 56.

In the late nineties I badly needed money for a building that I wanted since I was renting. I wound up selling my first GNX to a guy in Wisconsin. I still have my second car.
I really miss my first car though since it was much faster than my second. All GNXs (like all Grand Nationals) do not run the same.
Unlike many guys, I buy CARS TO DRIVE, NOT SHOW. I'm inot interested in trailer queens. And I've driven my GNXs all over the country. They are very good road cars.

Many people look at these cars with rose colored glasses but I was THERE FROM THE BEGINNING. And although they were fast, they weren't very well built. My Grand National and my GNXs stayed in the shop. There was always some little thing wrong. The quality control was very bad on GM cars in general in the 80s.

First GNX I saw was at the local Buick dealership. I think the first number was a 0.
Just BEAUTIFUL! I simply could not afford it, went for the 87GN.

Simple question:

When is the first time you laid eyes on a GNX in person? Do you remember the number or any details? Post up some info!
Small car show in Aurora ,Colo. He parked next to my new GN. Let me set in it. Nice people, they own Jim's Burger Haven. Car was #196

Late 86 I guess. In Allen Moving and Storage I had a few different prototype versions there, few of which were not ASC/McLearn to review by the leadership. I have drive every prototype (Buick owned).... including Brad's car. If fact raced Brad's car against the 83 Twin turbo Riv Pace Car (I drove the Pace car in this), both from dead start and express way. Bet I have logged more miles on 001 than anyone. I have also drive 02, 03 and 04, as they were part of the press fleet. Oh, those days were fun.

AWK

Late 86 I guess. In Allen Moving and Storage I had a few different prototype versions there, few of which were not ASC/McLearn to review by the leadership. I have drive every prototype (Buick owned).... including Brad's car. If fact raced Brad's car against the 83 Twin turbo Riv Pace Car (I drove the Pace car in this), both from dead start and express way. Bet I have logged more miles on 001 than anyone. I have also drive 02, 03 and 04, as they were part of the press fleet. Oh, those days were fun.

AWK

So....who won? ;)

LOL... some how I knew you would ask. Dead start your car beat the twin hands down through nearly a quarter mile. However, from a 60mph punch your car couldn't hold a candle to the twin. Anything below 50MPH the twin would spin the tires. The twin has a HUGE turbo lag, but once on boost... watch out! Weight transfer and traction was a issue with that front wheel drive. Your car is as fast as any GNX that I had driven, and by far the best looking.

AWK

February, 1987......Chicago Auto Show display. Also the first time I sat in a Grand National. Same week as my birthday and it was a total surprise as I didn't know anything about the X, but was already enamored with GNs.

I think it was #001 , but it was on a turntable with fencing around it so you couldn't get close. Now THAT is what
how I remember shock and awe. Totally awesome, always was , always will be.

LOL... some how I knew you would ask. Dead start your car beat the twin hands down through nearly a quarter mile. However, from a 60mph punch your car couldn't hold a candle to the twin. Anything below 50MPH the twin would spin the tires. The twin has a HUGE turbo lag, but once on boost... watch out! Weight transfer and traction was a issue with that front wheel drive. Your car is as fast as any GNX that I had driven, and by far the best looking.

AWK

Big smile. :)

Only one I have seen in person was at the Buick dealer in Kinston, NC. This was about 1994. It was sitting in the showroom. The salesman said it had never been rained on. Most awesome car I ever saw.